Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REFERENCE: 2019+ Power Wagon Armor

Aaandroger

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to pop in with an update on the skid plates! It was great talking with @CJTEX yesterday and he pointed me towards this thread.

So the previous skid plate design functioned great when installed and was a really interesting part to make! With that said it had some real downsides; installing it kind of sucked, they were extremely time intensive to make, and they involved a lot of vendors and unique processes that just isn't conducive to the logistics issues we've been living with. We never had them in stock and were always built as backorders and it drove me nuts. I started earlier this year on new designs for the Gas and Diesel trucks that were intended to tackle those problems and offer some improvements (even if they weren't needed, if there was an opening for an improvement I went for it). Somewhere around that time we also found that the new 21+ trucks have some scab brackets welded right over one of the original mounting points for who knows what reason. After I started the new designs and found the 21+ years couldn't run the original skids I decided to just stop sales on the original design and stay focused on the new models.

The new models are an entirely new design - this is a generational improvement rather than an adjustment to the original model. With the new designs, the biggest improvements are that installation is now very easy, manufacturability is hugely improved despite the complexity of the mounting design, service is much easier (especially to the transmission), and we now have a Diesel model. With manufacturing so much improved we'll be stocking these new skid plates. The initial launch I'm sure we won't have as much stock as we have demand based on my contact list but we know to plan for that so we can stage production for it.

I can't share pictures or too many specifics yet, but I've seen what some of you do with your trucks so we made these with .250" HRPO Steel and these things are going to be BEEF CAKE. I'll also share that based on the complexity of the new design and our material costs tripling since 12 months ago, pricing isn't finalized but it will be higher than the previous models. The new models are designed to work with the OEM protection elements and the Maple Offroad protection parts just like the original model, should you have or want any of those (Transfer Case guard, 3-bar Power Wagon skid, Maple 3-bar Replacement Skid).

I'm stoked to get these running! Thanks guys!

Marcus Dethloff
Stalking you website daily. Take my money!!

Wobly

Reaction score
The question is when they’re ready who gets the first one? And who will be the first to install/post pics?
Last year, I ordered the skid plate before I got my 75A. Then, there started to be rumors about the plate not fitting the 21+ rigs. Shortly after that, my skid plate arrived...by accident. I checked it out to make sure it wouldn't fit and contacted Marcus. He provided return shipping and I sent it back with a promise from him that I was at the top of the list for the new plate. We will see. ;)

UglyViking

Reaction score
Last year, I ordered the skid plate before I got my 75A. Then, there started to be rumors about the plate not fitting the 21+ rigs. Shortly after that, my skid plate arrived...by accident. I checked it out to make sure it wouldn't fit and contacted Marcus. He provided return shipping and I sent it back with a promise from him that I was at the top of the list for the new plate. We will see. ;)
What didn't fit? What changed?

jetrinka

Reaction score

You lucky dog!! haha

Wobly

Reaction score
You lucky dog!! haha
It sounds good. Until the new one is ready to go and shipped, I believe nothing! :D
Attached is a picture of one of the scab plates that blocks the installation of the old-design skid plate.

Attachments

• 20210602_175819.jpg
    20210602_175819.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Saw a toyota today with one of these on it.
Wonder if it will work our winch. Or if something similar can be made. Moves the lisence plate to in front of the winch. Then flips up when you need to winch. Woukd fix the issue of it hanging low and getting ripped off.
Screenshot_20220624-093454_Amazon Shopping.jpg

jadmt

Reaction score
Saw a toyota today with one of these on it.
Wonder if it will work our winch. Or if something similar can be made. Moves the lisence plate to in front of the winch. Then flips up when you need to winch. Woukd fix the issue of it hanging low and getting ripped off.
View attachment 40120
No reason it would not work. I had similar flip up on my wrangler. was a lot cheaper tuffy brand tho.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Even though our state technically requires a front plate I don't run one - haven't been harassed. I keep it in the glove box.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to pop in with an update on the skid plates! It was great talking with @CJTEX yesterday and he pointed me towards this thread.

So the previous skid plate design functioned great when installed and was a really interesting part to make! With that said it had some real downsides; installing it kind of sucked, they were extremely time intensive to make, and they involved a lot of vendors and unique processes that just isn't conducive to the logistics issues we've been living with. We never had them in stock and were always built as backorders and it drove me nuts. I started earlier this year on new designs for the Gas and Diesel trucks that were intended to tackle those problems and offer some improvements (even if they weren't needed, if there was an opening for an improvement I went for it). Somewhere around that time we also found that the new 21+ trucks have some scab brackets welded right over one of the original mounting points for who knows what reason. After I started the new designs and found the 21+ years couldn't run the original skids I decided to just stop sales on the original design and stay focused on the new models.

The new models are an entirely new design - this is a generational improvement rather than an adjustment to the original model. With the new designs, the biggest improvements are that installation is now very easy, manufacturability is hugely improved despite the complexity of the mounting design, service is much easier (especially to the transmission), and we now have a Diesel model. With manufacturing so much improved we'll be stocking these new skid plates. The initial launch I'm sure we won't have as much stock as we have demand based on my contact list but we know to plan for that so we can stage production for it.

I can't share pictures or too many specifics yet, but I've seen what some of you do with your trucks so we made these with .250" HRPO Steel and these things are going to be BEEF CAKE. I'll also share that based on the complexity of the new design and our material costs tripling since 12 months ago, pricing isn't finalized but it will be higher than the previous models. The new models are designed to work with the OEM protection elements and the Maple Offroad protection parts just like the original model, should you have or want any of those (Transfer Case guard, 3-bar Power Wagon skid, Maple 3-bar Replacement Skid).

I'm stoked to get these running! Thanks guys!

Marcus Dethloff

Is there any update on availability?

jadmt

Reaction score
It sounds good. Until the new one is ready to go and shipped, I believe nothing! :D
Attached is a picture of one of the scab plates that blocks the installation of the old-design skid plate.
I just removed my skid so had a chance to look at that a little better. Seems like should still work with a little trimming of the passenger side arm of the skid plate. just needs to cut 1/4" or so off. they are already in 2 pieces so should be fairly easy. either that or a steady hand with a plazma cutter to cut the scab plate offIMG_20220709_080208987.jpg :). does make me wonder if motor mounts are bending or if the new engine is going to be heavier. Do they use the same frame on cummins? maybe it has an alternative function besides motor mount.
IMG_20220709_080208987.jpg

jadmt

Reaction score
After pulling my tranny skid off for warranty work (I don't want the dealer to say they have to remove it and charge me for removing it) I am not so sure I will even put mine back on as I have been to Moab 3X's and it does not have a mark on it it so maybe for my needs it is overrated. Not like I am going to do BFE or behind the rocks etc.

Wobly

Reaction score
After pulling my tranny skid off for warranty work (I don't want the dealer to say they have to remove it and charge me for removing it) I am not so sure I will even put mine back on as I have been to Moab 3X's and it does not have a mark on it it so maybe for my needs it is overrated. Not like I am going to do BFE or behind the rocks etc.
My skid plates/bars/sliders/diff guard all have chunks and scratches on them. I guess the rocks here just hate me! :D

jadmt

Reaction score
haha no I asked about the gasser stuff.

An exact quote from his email

"Hey Justin!

I'm still working on them man, between manufacturing delays and being busy with production they aren't ready for launch. They're super close but giving ETA's this year is a little tough haha! "
good thing they are super close otherwise could be a while before they are released.

el_barto

Reaction score
Does anyone make skids for the front lower control arms? I seem to smack mine rocks more than anything else under the truck.
I do the same. They seem pretty stout though.

Users who are viewing this thread