Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

steve49

Reaction score
I wonder if it's a software issue with the four different recalls that are mentioned in the hold? If any of the four recalls had been previously completed prior to the pump recall being done, it can supposedly cause a problem.

Attachments

• RCMN-21V880-6069.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 22

Randyhut

Reaction score
I read that as it could damage the old pump - as the Y78 hasn't been done at that point? On my truck, the transmission recall was first in Jan. 22 then my issue started, i took the truck back in in April for the missing and bucking, they performed the other recalls (except y78), and said they cleaned the injectors and i should be good to go. I wasn't and Y78 was done in late June-early July time frame. 2nd time back since then. last time they say they replaced the wiring harness for the injectors(gasket with wires). still missing.

Wayne007

Reaction score
Ok, I just came from the dealer where they were going to look into my EGR valve as the cause for excessive regens and low boost pressure codes. He informed me that as of yesterday, there was a
TSB #18-102-22 REV A, that addresses about 25 issues with the ERG valve and regens being among them. It also references misfires and rough idles. They reprogramed my computer and that should fix the problem. Deep down I knew all along there was something wrong with the programming as did my mechanic. It states that you must have the Y78 recall done FIRST before they can reprogram. Hopefully you guys that are having issues after the pump swap can now get some satisfaction.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I just came from the dealer where they were going to look into my EGR valve as the cause for excessive regens and low boost pressure codes. He informed me that as of yesterday, there was a
TSB #18-102-22 REV A, that addresses about 25 issues with the ERG valve and regens being among them. It also references misfires and rough idles. They reprogramed my computer and that should fix the problem. Deep down I knew all along there was something wrong with the programming as did my mechanic. It states that you must have the Y78 recall done FIRST before they can reprogram. Hopefully you guys that are having issues after the pump swap can now get some satisfaction.
That appears to be an old TSB...

Sent from my work avoidance device using Tapatalk

Wayne007

Reaction score
That appears to be an old TSB...
Yes I saw that, but on the paper he gave me, this is REV. A dated 8/10/22 which supersedes the original dated 5/24/22. It also states that this revision cannot be preformed until after then Y78 recall has been completed. All I know is my truck appears to be running better now than it has . Time will tell.
IMG_6231.JPG

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I saw that, but on the paper he gave me, this is REV. A dated 8/10/22 which supersedes the original dated 5/24/22. It also states that this revision cannot be preformed until after then Y78 recall has been completed. All I know is my truck appears to be running better now than it has . Time will tell.
View attachment 42567

Thanks for posting that! I looked up the TSB and it still showed something else (old).

I posted this in the Problems/TSB forum.

Horse hauler

Reaction score
I was able to take the 4500 on a vacation hauling my 5th wheel last week. Hauled the trailer roughly 1000 miles plus another 400+ unhooked. 15K fifth wheel in tow on the highway 72 -75 MPH truck got 10 mpg even with a few 6% grade hills on the trip, pulled the hills without needing to down shift at 70 mph. Truck did 1 regen on the way there and one on the way home after a bunch of short trips and some traffic delays on 95 which had us stopped totally or going less than 10 mph. Total truck hours were close to 30 and on the way there it was 99 degrees. I was VERY pleased with the truck it ran flawless.

Randyhut

Reaction score
Horse Hauler, Glad for you. My truck unfortunately spends more time in the dealership (waiting on something) than at my house. FCA dosen't seem to give a crap, and the dealer can't seem to locate the issue. Been there a week now this trip, and they still don't have clue. This will undoubtedly be my last Ram as the first one (1995 Model owned 18 years was a beast) and this one is a piece of crap. i have owned it for about 18 months of which it has spent 2 months or more at the dealer.
I have actually helped sell Ram at least 3 trucks because of the 1995, i would tell people now to buy anything but a RAM.

Horse hauler

Reaction score
Horse Hauler, Glad for you. My truck unfortunately spends more time in the dealership (waiting on something) than at my house. FCA dosen't seem to give a crap, and the dealer can't seem to locate the issue. Been there a week now this trip, and they still don't have clue. This will undoubtedly be my last Ram as the first one (1995 Model owned 18 years was a beast) and this one is a piece of crap. i have owned it for about 18 months of which it has spent 2 months or more at the dealer.
I have actually helped sell Ram at least 3 trucks because of the 1995, i would tell people now to buy anything but a RAM.

I like you had a 2003 3500 HO with a 6 speed, absolutely loved it and put 200K on it without anything but a $60 water pump. Sold it with the original clutch still in it! I bought this 2020 as a LAST one purchase as it will not be used in the winter so it should last me a lot longer than the 03 (hopefully). I also have a 2021 2500 Bighorn for a work truck that I have put 36,000 miles on in one year and it hasn't needed anything but oil and filter changes and it has hauled a bunch as well as daily driver use. I hope it stays that way, I only run Mopar DEF so if and when I have an issue with that system my dealer stands behind me versus blaming it on brand names even though they say it's all the same. Hopefully they get to the bottom of yours, they all have issues GM Ford and Ram but I get when it's reoccurring like that it's frustrating.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I like you had a 2003 3500 HO with a 6 speed, absolutely loved it and put 200K on it without anything but a $60 water pump. Sold it with the original clutch still in it! I bought this 2020 as a LAST one purchase as it will not be used in the winter so it should last me a lot longer than the 03 (hopefully). I also have a 2021 2500 Bighorn for a work truck that I have put 36,000 miles on in one year and it hasn't needed anything but oil and filter changes and it has hauled a bunch as well as daily driver use. I hope it stays that way, I only run Mopar DEF so if and when I have an issue with that system my dealer stands behind me versus blaming it on brand names even though they say it's all the same. Hopefully they get to the bottom of yours, they all have issues GM Ford and Ram but I get when it's reoccurring like that it's frustrating.
I do the same with DEF, cost more but I have in assurance of if anything happens.

Wayne007

Reaction score
Well they think it's an EGR valve sticking, have one on order, due in Thursday. Hope they are right. Would be nice to be fixed.
That's what they thought on mine! When I took it in for replacement, they found out there's a TSB 18-22-102 REV. A, that was issued on 8/10/22. They downloaded that and so far it's running great. There's like 25 issues that the TSB fixes. The only thing I've noticed is it has a firmer downshift when using the exhaust brake. They said that's normal.

Last edited:

Randyhut

Reaction score
I sent them the info on that tsb. Mine is a 2019 so it may not apply? Then again, I am sure that FCA, Star, and my dealer are NOT on the same page.

Last edited:

Wayne007

Reaction score
Well evidently it's not solely a software problem as my check engine light came on again! I was getting on the freeway with the hammer down and about 2 seconds after I reached highway speed it came on. It goes back in again tomorrow. This is getting old. I went from a truck with an aneurism (that could burst at any time) to a truck that likes to hang out at the dealership.

Randyhut

Reaction score
Does it miss when you go down the ramp before the CEL comes on?
What codes does it set?

Know how you feel, mine is there now, 2 weeks today and I get little to no information from them. GETTING OLD!

Wayne007

Reaction score
It actually runs great. I'm guessing it's the same "low boost pressure" code

Horse hauler

Reaction score
Does it miss when you go down the ramp before the CEL comes on?
What codes does it set?

Know how you feel, mine is there now, 2 weeks today and I get little to no information from them. GETTING OLD!
Randy,

Any update on your truck?

Randyhut

Reaction score
Yes, it is at the dealership, it seems to like it there. They have diagnosed it with an EGR illness. Waiting on an EGR valve to show up. Three weeks Monday
We will see

Wish I would have bought the 2018 instead of the 2019. Starting to think a ferd would be better

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes, it is at the dealership, it seems to like it there. They have diagnosed it with an EGR illness. Waiting on an EGR valve to show up. Three weeks Monday
We will see

Wish I would have bought the 2018 instead of the 2019. Starting to think a ferd would be better
A ferd would be many steps backward

Users who are viewing this thread