Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Wileykid

Reaction score
Well I picked up my truck and they have no clue as to why it throws the "low boost pressure" code. One of the techs went home sick and didn't pass it on if he cleared the code or not, so the second guy was in the dark. He checked for leaks and checked the sensors. As for the increased frequency in regens, that's part of the new programming of the new pump. Personally, I think it's a glitch in Ram's programming. I tried to have them re-flash the program and they said the system won't let them. Maybe @RamCares has some insight. Even the second tech said he's heard of a few cases but didn't hear of a solution. Star was clueless. This reminds me of a Ford I owned!

An idea for you is to check your EGR valve. My truck was throwing the low boost code, and the factory air filter change didn't help, couple of hundred miles down the road, the EGR valve failed.

Horse hauler

Reaction score
I have a 2020 4500 that the DPF gauge actually shows when the level rises, my 2021 2500 is always on zero but will go into Regen without the gauge ever moving. The 2500 very rarely does a Regen as I drive 40+ miles each way to work on the highway so it seems to do the passive route. My 4500 after the Y78 recall went into Regen on the way home from the dealership but I attribute that to them idling the truck in the shop and short test drives. After the ride home Regen the gauge went up slightly but went back to zero itself without Regen towing my Horse trailer. Going on a vacation leaving this coming weekend towing 15k 5th wheel 8+ hrs each way......This will be the test for the new pump.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a 2020 4500 that the DPF gauge actually shows when the level rises, my 2021 2500 is always on zero but will go into Regen without the gauge ever moving. The 2500 very rarely does a Regen as I drive 40+ miles each way to work on the highway so it seems to do the passive route. My 4500 after the Y78 recall went into Regen on the way home from the dealership but I attribute that to them idling the truck in the shop and short test drives. After the ride home Regen the gauge went up slightly but went back to zero itself without Regen towing my Horse trailer. Going on a vacation leaving this coming weekend towing 15k 5th wheel 8+ hrs each way......This will be the test for the new pump.
They all go in to regen every 24hrs the 4500 may go in to regen more due to the soot load but thats pretty normal… the 2500 is not doing a passive regen unloaded it is just only doing the 24hr regen schedule

MEGA HO

Reaction score
They all go in to regen every 24hrs the 4500 may go in to regen more due to the soot load but thats pretty normal… the 2500 is not doing a passive regen unloaded it is just only doing the 24hr regen schedule
My truck isn't doing 24hrs regens. Must be programming and as I've never let them touch my truck to do any updates, my software must be an older version.

flan

Reaction score
My truck isn't doing 24hrs regens. Must be programming and as I've never let them touch my truck to do any updates, my software must be an older version.
Do you leave your evic on the dpf screen? It may be doing them without your knowledge if not. They do go pretty seamless.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Do you leave your evic on the dpf screen? It may be doing them without your knowledge if not. They do go pretty seamless.
Not anymore but had it on for quite a long time watching the DPF screen waiting to see those 24 hrs regens but they never happened. Seen plenty of normal regens when I lived in a city and the gauge was filling up, but they were not 24 hrs apart, there was no pattern other than it happened when the gauge was nearing 1/2 full

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not anymore but had it on for quite a long time watching the DPF screen waiting to see those 24 hrs regens but they never happened. Seen plenty of normal regens when I lived in a city and the gauge was filling up, but they were not 24 hrs apart, there was no pattern other than it happened when the gauge was nearing 1/2 full
The HO seems to soot up more thats why you dont see the 24hr regens you end up doing it more often… it seems they give it a max of 24hrs between regens before it triggers an automatic one

KBob

Reaction score
To be clear..... Trucks are reported to do a regen every 24 "Engine Hours" not once a day. I've started logging the engine hours, mileage, and DPF meter readings when a regen occurs. I leave it on the DPF screen most of the time and toggle between other reading I want to see.

2500Ram

Reaction score
They do not regen once every calendar day unless regen parameters are present every calendar day. But the changing of the day does not dictate any cleaning.

Wayne007

Reaction score
Well my truck threw the "low boost pressure" code again. The tech said he's seen 3 of these cases sense the pump swaps but FCA doesn't seem to get that it might be a programming error. I asked him about the EGR valve and he's going to look into that on Monday. He said it did have a couple of questionable readings. It's a shame the "engineers" can't admit they might be wrong. The mechanic working on mine has 40 years experience as a diesel mechanic. I've been in factory maintenance all my life and my first reaction was a programming error. I guess I'll have to play along for now. He also said a defective EGR could cause excessive regens.

Hilly1

Reaction score
Well as of today I'm waiting for the service department to hear back from the engineers at Ram as to why it's throwing the "low boost pressure" code. The field rep says he's heard of it after the pump swap but couldn't offer any reason why. As to the uptick in regen cycles, they say that's built into the programming done after a pump swap. Seems as if I went from one problem to another.
Strange I spoke to my Service Manager today asked him if he had an update for me as to why my truck is doing frequent regens after the Y78 he said STAR said they were unaware of this condition after the update. I told him of this forum and others responses,he said don’t believe everything you here online, and where was this info gotten cause they have not been told this but said if it continues to bring the truck in. I know of At least 4 regens in 750 miles since the update. Just went through one today 36 miles to zero it out. Guess I will be bringing it in at some point.

Last edited:

Wayne007

Reaction score
That's funny.....my service advisor was attentive to what I told her about information I gathered on the online forums. I think that with the magnitude of this recall, the parts availability, and the fact that this is a somewhat new design with minimal track record, nobody really knows what's going on. I'm sure Star has more than one engineer so it probably depends on who he talked to. Plus with all the other projects and confusion, I would guess communication between engineers isn't what it should be.

RTillery

Reaction score
Just got my 2019 3500 HO (71,000 miles) back last night with the new pump. It definitely idles quieter. Power seems about the same. Mileage seemed approx the same on the way home. I was getting near the "regen" on the DPF gauge before the new pump, and it seemed just a little bit higher at 35% or so. Sure enough, it went into regen this morning. Took about 25 miles for it to clear and drop back to zero. I zeroed my trip-meter and we'll check mileage between regens. We'll see if the regens happen more frequently? So far, so good, but still going to keep an eye on things.

Last edited:

KBob

Reaction score
I had my truck, 2020,2500, out for a 200 mile road trip on Thursday, running empty, not towing. Some 75 mph, some 55 mph, some stop and go. I'm at 1700 miles, and 32 engine hours since my last regen. Never anything on the meter, and I've been watching it close.

Last edited:

b1lanc

Reaction score
For what it's worth (only one truck), 1365 miles in the last three days without 5th wheel. I've made that same trip before twice. In a nutshell, 2020 and 2021 trips with a lighter pax/payload by about 1000 lbs and never got over 18.5 hand calc'd. This trip, averaged 19.2 outbound (14.5 hours including city driving) and 21.5 (11.5 hours) inbound. My DEF usage estimate is between 1 and 1.5 gallons entire trip based on gauge sitting 7/8 full - was getting 350-450 mpg on DEF before. Regen was automatic 24 hours at 539 and 563. Meter got just south of 50% when regen kicked off both times.

Randyhut

Reaction score
FWIW-My 2019 is back in the dealer for the forth time, same issue, missing and bucking, mostly during acceleration now, and this time it had some inactive codes, no dash light, just stored some codes, p2228, p1193, p0402, p0300, p0303 & p0306 maybe they will find something to replace? Already had the whole fuel system replaced with the pump.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
FWIW-My 2019 is back in the dealer for the forth time, same issue, missing and bucking, mostly during acceleration now, and this time it had some inactive codes, no dash light, just stored some codes, p2228, p1193, p0402, p0300, p0303 & p0306 maybe they will find something to replace? Already had the whole fuel system replaced with the pump.
Thats odd but if its doing it more frequently and they have some codes hopefully they can actually fix the issue now they can do some real diagnosing

Randyhut

Reaction score
My dealer ask me if i was deleting codes to turn off the check engine light - i told him, no, it doesn't turn on the CH light, even though i drove it 10 miles on the interstate @50 mph with it missing and bucking, just before the exit, it started running fine and ran fine for 70 miles. He said that's odd. I know it is probably aggravating for him as well, they have done work on this thing 3 prior times and have duplicated the issue on three occasions, yet can't fix it. MAYBE this time they will find something.
Frustrating as H___.

Users who are viewing this thread