Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Dannydos

Reaction score
Is it safe to say that the days of the 20-22+% off MSRP are gone or not going to happen for a while on this 4.5 Gen? My plan B is to get a tread lightly membership and order the truck for 1% below invoice. I think most members on this forum are getting their trucks for around 10% off of MSRP . Which is fine, but I remember the days of the 20-22+% era. It doesn't help that Ford just mailed me a $3,000 PCO (private cash offer) for a new truck. I'm leaning heavily towards a new Ram HD tho. I've been watching this thread for a while now and just wanted to contribute to the discussion.

orlando bull

Reaction score
Is it safe to say that the days of the 20-22+% off MSRP are gone or not going to happen for a while on this 4.5 Gen? My plan B is to get a tread lightly membership and order the truck for 1% below invoice. I think most members on this forum are getting their trucks for around 10% off of MSRP . Which is fine, but I remember the days of the 20-22+% era. It doesn't help that Ford just mailed me a $3,000 PCO (private cash offer) for a new truck. I'm leaning heavily towards a new Ram HD tho. I've been watching this thread for a while now and just wanted to contribute to the discussion.

I could be wrong, but, I think those 20% deals are usually with manufacturer incentives. I don't know if there has ever really been a time that pre-incentive prices were that low. Right now, there's no incentives on these trucks, so, you can't compare to other trucks that have incentives. I traded an f150 on mine, Ford is not for me, I had to buy one after 18 years in ram to realize that, but, I'm back where I belong, in a ram now.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I traded an f150 on mine, Ford is not for me, I had to buy one after 18 years in ram to realize that, but, I'm back where I belong, in a ram now.
What is about RAM that has kept you so loyal, even after a small affair with Ford? And remember, this question is from a guy who has never owned a truck before. Therefore, I hope we love RAM as much as we love our Audi sedans.

orlando bull

Reaction score
What is about RAM that has kept you so loyal, even after a small affair with Ford? And remember, this question is from a guy who has never owned a truck before. Therefore, I hope we love RAM as much as we love our Audi sedans.

Nothing in particular really. The infotainment system to me is way better than the Ford. Platinum Ford interior initially looked nice, but, is loaded with plastic. After 8 months, the door handle was showing significant wear. The last couple months I had it, all that plastic started making noises. Pops, cracks, vibrations, that sort of thing that is very annoying on a $65k truck that is less than 3 years old.

My rams seemed to hold up better with the exception of a couple issues (door locks on 4th gens and dash cracked on 04 after 5 years). I had a 98, 04, 10, and 13. All great trucks, never any mechanical issues.

I just have an emotional attachment to vehicles and my rams have been special to me. I never felt connected to the Ford.

Anyway, there are many people who would say Ford is awesome and rams are junk. For me, the ram just feels right.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I once heard someone say it takes a 6 to truly appreciate an 8... I am looking to go back to Ram as well. I had a Dakota for 10 years, and even though it was a very basic truck (power windows and locks were the only options), I really liked it and there are a ton of things I miss about it. I hope when I get my new Ram I am able to get a similar deal to what I am seeing here.

One question for @Stumblefoot, how do you figure the dealer holdback % that you keep mentioning?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Dealer hold back (for RAM) is about 3% of MSRP

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Thanks Orlando Bull. I appreciate the context.

Fred Cage, dealer holdback is 3% of the MSRP. Technically, it is profit for the dealer to cover the cost of carrying inventory on the lot.

huff2462

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger on this on Friday. Dealer gave me a price of invoice plus $500...

Then accidentally quoted me a non-existent $1,750 rebate (he was new) and the manager honored his mistake, essentially giving me invoice minus $1,250.

Can't wait for delivery!!!!!
20190512_095655.jpg20190512_095726.jpg

savaytse66

Reaction score
I've got an offer to me for a 2500 Limited Mega, for Invoice minus 2% of MSRP. So essentially, the dealer is giving me about 2/3 of his holdback. This would be for a factory order. From the sounds of it, this seems like a fair deal from a local dealer. I cannot get in to have them value my trade for another week or so I am not pulling the trigger just yet, but thoughts on this deal would be appreciated.

RedBeard6111

Reaction score
Well I had to revisit my awesome deal of $70,000. THE dealer wanted to hose me for my trade in. So I went to my local dealer showed him my negotiated price from the other dealer and asked if he could match it. He said nope. I would be paying you $600 bucks to buy the truck. He said bring in your trade and I will make it work. Sure enough he held up on his end. We went to the internet and found what dealers are listing my similar truck on the lot for and agreed that 45,000 is what they are trying to sell them for and he gave me $42,000 for my trade in. Then let me order my fancy built truck for 71,500 minus $500 for a rebate = $71,000 , plus obviously what ever rebates come at pick up. Plus I get to keep my trade in till the new one arrives.

Attachments

• 7EE88F42-2A2B-4876-A567-56F421151C6F.jpeg
    7EE88F42-2A2B-4876-A567-56F421151C6F.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 91

PNW Brian

Reaction score
2019 3500 Limited Megacab 4x4
MSRP $86,235
No rebates or incentives available at this time and not financing through Chrysler
-$9,925 negotiated down
Total Paid - $76,310
The approach I took was that I shopped 5 different states, including the big dealers in ID and TX. Once I got the best prices narrowed down to the top three, they all submitted their best out the door price. I used the lowest bid and went into my local dealer and after some negotiating, she came within $1000 of the lowest bid. Since I would have spent at least that on travel to go pick it up out of state, the deal was made.
I just had to explain to the salesperson that my truck is just like a box of crackers, it is a commodity. I can buy the same box of crackers at several different stores; it just matters who is going to give me the best price. I also let her know that the I was going to hold firm on my price since I am ordering the truck and it will not be sitting on their lot costing them money for every day it sits there. In the end it was very clear that I was willing to walk out the door and go to the “next” dealer to get the price I wanted. It only took me standing up once to get that point across.

JustinHEMI

Reaction score
I'm eligible for the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards program which is 1% below invoice. That's good enough for me to buy from the dealer that's minutes from my house. On top of that, there will be other rebates that I'm eligible for that combine with the affiliate rewards. The price for the truck I ordered was MSRP 55190, the affiliate rewards price is 51199.

TexasRamSearcher

Reaction score
Howdy All. I'm looking to switch from the GM 1/2 ton family to the Ram 3/4 ton family. I'm in the Houston/Austin/San Antonio market. Seems like most people here are ordering their rams but I'm good with buying off the lot. Looking at either a Tradesman in the $45k MSRP range or a Lonestar in the $55k MSRP range. Anyone know what % off MSRP discount I should be shooting for in negotiating? Is 15% asking too much for a on-the-lot truck? I also qualify for the 1% off invoice Affiliate Program or can I do better on my own? Looking to purchase in June. Thanks!

PNW Brian

Reaction score
TexasRamSearcher, memorial day weekend historically been a good time to buy since it is at the end of the month and a holiday. Dealers may be more willing to deal to hit their numbers for their incentives. But if you want to wait till June near the end of the month is typically the time to shop from what I understand.
I don't think 15% is out of reach, the higher end models tend to have more negotiating room than the lower Ines so you may actually get a better deal on the Lonestar. I would negotiate down as far as you can first and then ask for the invoice price and calculate the 1% and see if you need to pull out the affiliate card. I did the same thing and did much better than the 1% below invoice. On a side note if anyone wants to get the affiliate benefit it is only $35 to join Access Fund for a year even if you are not a climber.
From what I understand if you buy off the lot, they have daily costs associated with that vehicle sitting on their lot so you may not be able to negotiate as low as you may if you ordered it and it won't spend any time sitting in their lot.
I would also go online and get some prices for comparable trucks at other dealerships like Dennis Dillon and Dave Smith, it may just give you a little more leverage.
Just my 2cents, good luck!

labjr1

Reaction score
MSRP $83,515.00. I received $9k in discounts. My limitation was that the truck was located 250 miles away at other dealership and they had to arrange with that dealership to transfer it and of course that dealer had already put their "prep" on it so I could not negotiate as strongly since some of the markup in the pricing goes to the other dealership. But I was able to find nearly what I wanted and did not have to wait (since my truck was having issues and I needed a replacement). The only options I did not get that I wanted were the auto-leveling suspension and the auxiliary switches.....could not locate one in a 500 mile radius that met my requirements with those options.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Currently negotiating a 3500 Limited order.....
best so far I can find:
MSRP 81,560
Invoice 75,664
with OJT rebate and Conquest Cash Back ......72000 even and 53k on my trade. That's the best trade number I can get anywhere so far.

Difference of 19000 + TTL, etc

Thoughts?

It seems pretty good. I know another dealer that I could probably get the truck 500 cheaper, but would be less on trade or get me on the backside with a higher interest rate.

PNW Brian

Reaction score
Currently negotiating a 3500 Limited order.....
best so far I can find:
MSRP 81,560
Invoice 75,664
with OJT rebate and Conquest Cash Back ......72000 even and 53k on my trade. That's the best trade number I can get anywhere so far.

Difference of 19000 + TTL, etc

Thoughts?

It seems pretty good. I know another dealer that I could probably get the truck 500 cheaper, but would be less on trade or get me on the backside with a higher interest rate.
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread