Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Thread - 6.4 Hemi

Tater86

Reaction score
Not so sure about the Schaeffers one TBH. I don't think it is for the 22's based on the API SP as well. I think that the 0-40 is just SN.
The bottle of Schaeffers I have had the correct API donut seal on it. As noted by the manual.

whitexc

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Chet. My last oil and filter swap/rotate did not go so well. They left the gasket from the old filter on and you can guess what happened. Turned into them cleaning my driveway and more. They made good on it and I will go back. Hopefully it was a fluke thing.

Yes, I do my own work on other vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClawSS

Reaction score
The bottle of Schaeffers I have had the correct API donut seal on it. As noted by the manual.
Can you show that donut? My 0-40 shows a donut with API-SN and not API-SP as specified....Or are you suggesting that just having the donut is enough without reading the words within?

Tater86

Reaction score
Can you show that donut? My 0-40 shows a donut with API-SN and not API-SP as specified....Or are you suggesting that just having the donut is enough without reading the words within?
Mine says SN on the bottle, but I can't read what letter my manual says. To me the manual states it must have the API Donut trademark. It doesn't state it has to have that exact trademark.

I pulled out at bottle of PUP too and it shows SN on the donut as well.

1681327852621.png

Riccochet

Reaction score
I'm confused as to why anyone would select a lubricant different from what the engine manufacturer recommends based upon thousands of hours of testing in a laboratory equipped with engine dynamometers. Having your oil changed at a RAM dealership when recommended seems like the best decision also. Your paper trail exists in their system and they used their recommended and proven products to perform the maintenance.

And some balk at paying a dealer $100 for an oil change on a $50-75k vehicle? Interesting discussion though.
$100, man, if you're still paying that I'd love to go to that dealer. I just had my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer last month and paid $191. They jacked up the prices on all service. I called around to other dealers and they were all the same. My previous oil change prior to the price increase was $128.

But, like you said, with my truck still under warranty I'll pay it just so there is a dealer paper trail of maintenance.

Wetrocks

Reaction score
Anybody use Mobil 1 0w40?? I've pretty much been a Mobil guy my whole life and would like to stay that way but I see they call their 0w40 European Car Formula?? Should be good to use though correct??
I’ve been using mobile 1 0w40 in Florida no ticks

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I’ve been using mobile 1 0w40 in Florida no ticks
What OCI? I change my oil+filter when I get startup tick which is usually around 5k miles ~28% oil life on the dash. Have yet to make it to the recommended OCI but it’s been a filter issue and not an oil issue for me.

slowindown

Reaction score
$100, man, if you're still paying that I'd love to go to that dealer. I just had my oil changed and tires rotated at the dealer last month and paid $191. They jacked up the prices on all service. I called around to other dealers and they were all the same. My previous oil change prior to the price increase was $128.

But, like you said, with my truck still under warranty I'll pay it just so there is a dealer paper trail of maintenance.

I looked at my receipt from Jan or Feb for my first oil change. It was a bit over $89. I had my second the week before last and it was $97. Up about $7.50. Both of those figures included 7% tax and deducted 10% for a coupon from my ram app for my particular dealer, which is in sw ms. So check your app for coupons. At my dealership they like me screenshot the one(s) I want to use and email them to the service advisor when they place the work order or print and bring.

raven_dt

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Chet. My last oil and filter swap/rotate did not go so well. They left the gasket from the old filter on and you can guess what happened. Turned into them cleaning my driveway and more. They made good on it and I will go back. Hopefully it was a fluke thing.

Yes, I do my own work on other vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After several dealership incidents; I don't take my vehicles in for service unless absolutely necessary (recall, warranty, etc). All other service, I perform.

chas0218

Reaction score
I've been changing my oil for the 1st and 2nd oil change. I didn't notice any real usage of oil on either change. 1st change was with 0w-40 PUP and noticed a slight tick on start up intermittently but might just be an injector. This last time with Amsoil 0w-40 and no noticeable noise from the valvetrain. I will say out of the 9700 miles on it 2000 are towing miles so it has had a little towing duty. I've also been changing oil around the 5k mile mark. This time was a little early last time it was at 5100.

Mayorga327

Reaction score
Anybody use Mobil 1 0w40?? I've pretty much been a Mobil guy my whole life and would like to stay that way but I see they call their 0w40 European Car Formula?? Should be good to use though correct??
I recently did my oil change on my 2017 2500 6.4 hemi using this oil and all of a sudden its started ticking now it sounds like a diesel truck. I was going to ask also what other oil is best to use on it and what filter.

RAM Stag

Reaction score
I am using Amsoil 0W-40 in my 2016 2500, 6.4 Hemi and it seems to performs well. I tow a 6700lb. 30' travel trailer on average once a moth, usually 600 - 700 miles round trip with no issues. The rest of the time normal daily driver routes. www.ddiultimatelubes.myamsoil.com

Firebird

Reaction score
I recently did my oil change on my 2017 2500 6.4 hemi using this oil and all of a sudden its started ticking now it sounds like a diesel truck. I was going to ask also what other oil is best to use on it and what filter.
I ran Redline 5w40 with Royal Purple filters in my 6.4

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
PUP + wix XP for the win.

I finally went a full OCI and never got startup tick. I was changing my oil around 25-30% on the oil life indicator because that’s when the startup tick would show up.

Also no consumption to speak of. The pic is hard to see but the oil level is 1/4 up the hash marks ~8k miles. The fresh 7qt brings it to 3/4 up the hash marks so I’ll call that .5 qt consumed in 8k miles

IMG_3161.jpegIMG_3226.jpegIMG_3227.jpeg

Last edited:

RClark

Reaction score
Long ago (up through probably the 70's maybe 80's I believe) Pennzoil was pretty famous for sludging up engines really bad, especially if you didn't stay on top of oil changes. I think if I recall correctly, Pennzoil had a lot of paraffin in it that led to the sludging. I think Quaker State had the same issue too. Like I said, their oil now is not their oil of old. I have no doubt nowadays that it is a good oil and if you are happy with it that's good. I just can't shake the sludge stigma haha.
I know exactly how you feel. I had a '69 Toyota that I used Pennzoil in and it used oil between changes. I switched to Valvoline and it quit using oil. I've been gun shy of Pennzoil ever since.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Aahh, the Old days, Wolf's Head oil was awesome!
Heck, we used to add a pinch or two of saw dust to our beater truck differentials if they were too loose and noisy. Now more rear-end whine after that. Fir or hemlock worked best; cedar not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread