Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Thread - 6.4 Hemi

Enve46

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I do all of my own maintenance...including my own aftermarket part installs (tint, PPF, and ceramic not included) and I will be tearing out the interior for the "kid in me" stereo install very soon.
But I also think we all need to do our own investigation and come to our own conclusions. You do you. Lots of good advice and a lot of not-so-good out there and here too.
Ive done a fair bit on this topic before in 2017 when I last owned a 6.4 2500. Amsoil was the oil I used and the SRT filter as well. As I mentioned I can research and beat this thing to death but I see no issue with the PUP and Wix combo, being its tested, tried and true to have good results. The dry starting and associated noises are things Amsoil helped with in my experience. That said, IF a warranty issue popped up and I could at least show I was using PUP, I would have more of a chance here pleading my case.

I also do majority of my own installs from suspension to paint correction and ceramic, but for the last 6 years Ive been using dealers due to my constraints in living area and time. Now that I am moving into my own house and left my office behind, I can tackle things again. Im pretty OCD on cleanliness and it would drive me nuts to get into my well detailed truck thats covered in oil from the sloppy mechanic. Nope, no more.

jetrinka

Reaction score
My understanding is the WIX XP filters better the longer its left on - hence extended drain intervals. The synthetic media, much like a lot of synthetic filter medias, has larger spaces between fibers resulting in less filtering ability but a greater dirt capacity. Out of the box though the regular WIX filters much better and if long OCI aren't wanted the standard should be used. I currently go 5k between changes and use the standard WIX.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Looks like a great UOA report, I short trip daily and can make it to 15k easily if you're so inclined to run farther between changes.
What oil filter are you running?

I've published a few videos on my AMSOIL usage to youtube.
I had been running WIX XP on the last several changes, but was unable to get a hold of any this time around I picked up a PurolatorBOSS.
Not currently interested in extended drains but something to consider for the future if it continues to look good.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Do most of you prefer Wix over OEM Mopar filter?
Hemi seems sensitive to the anti drain back valve on oil filters. Inferior or defective valves really can affect oil drain from the head and a startup clatter. From my research and experience trying numerous kinds of filters the WIX filters seem to have the best silicone ADBV's. I believe the MOPAR valve is not silicone and while it works fine new tends to not seal as well once aged.

WIX seems to keep my startup clatter at bay longer than any other I've tried. Purolator, MOPAR, Fram (the good versions), to name a few.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Hemi seems sensitive to the anti drain back valve on oil filters. Inferior or defective valves really can affect oil drain from the head and a startup clatter. From my research and experience trying numerous kinds of filters the WIX filters seem to have the best silicone ADBV's. I believe the MOPAR valve is not silicone and while it works fine new tends to not seal as well once aged.

WIX seems to keep my startup clatter at bay longer than any other I've tried. Purolator, MOPAR, Fram (the good versions), to name a few.
Agree.

Enve46

Reaction score
Well said above. I already mentioned it before but the SRT guys like that the Wix has a higher “bypass” spring so when you’re getting on it and there’s high oil pressure, it won’t send dirty oil throughout the engine as much. I have a heavy foot and don’t like to *****foot so I look for things that’ll help protect from my inner child.

Dewey

Reaction score
The first three oil changes I used mopar filters. The last oil change I used a Wix 57060 and the engine was sooo much quieter and has been for about 3000 miles now. Next oil change I will try a mopar filter and if the ticks come back I will switch it out for a Wix. I have always used Wix on many vehicles and probably will not go back to mopar. I only change them confirm that the Wix minimizes the engine ticks.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I've read through the debates of the Wix XP vs standard Wix. Years in a tribology lab tends to drive some of my own opinions, but a slightly different path here. Has anyone here done any comparisons of the Wix 57060 vs, the Wix 57045? The 57045 is the longer (2.9" vs 4.3") "V6 truck" filter that is used on some Chrysler product L4 and V6s. It carries the same specs as the 57060, just longer. It is also physically similar to the Chevy HD filter WL10255, however that has a bypass setting of 22, 10 psi higher than the 57045 and 57060, so while probably not an issue, I'd not go there.

Yes, most of the 5.7L truck LS motors and the 6.4L Hemi use the same filter, but Chevy bumps up to a larger filter for their HDs. Since my Tahoe uses the 57060 and I like the safety margin of the XP but the better filtration of the non-XP, I am contemplating just going to the 57045 for both vehicles. And yes, I know that adds a few ounces more oil to each change. But again, I don't mind a little safety margin.

Thoughts?

oppizzippo

Reaction score
I've read through the debates of the Wix XP vs standard Wix. Years in a tribology lab tends to drive some of my own opinions, but a slightly different path here. Has anyone here done any comparisons of the Wix 57060 vs, the Wix 57045? The 57045 is the longer (2.9" vs 4.3") "V6 truck" filter that is used on some Chrysler product L4 and V6s. It carries the same specs as the 57060, just longer. It is also physically similar to the Chevy HD filter WL10255, however that has a bypass setting of 22, 10 psi higher than the 57045 and 57060, so while probably not an issue, I'd not go there.

Yes, most of the 5.7L truck LS motors and the 6.4L Hemi use the same filter, but Chevy bumps up to a larger filter for their HDs. Since my Tahoe uses the 57060 and I like the safety margin of the XP but the better filtration of the non-XP, I am contemplating just going to the 57045 for both vehicles. And yes, I know that adds a few ounces more oil to each change. But again, I don't mind a little safety margin.

Thoughts?
Before I changed my oil I looked into going with the 57045. I personally hate the tiny filters they use. I ended up going with a Napa gold filter in the normal size because I didn't have time to fully research things. Now I'm 100% going to go with the longer filter. There is plenty of room for it from what I remember when I changed the oil. I also looked into the Baldwin version of the 57045, it has a lower bypass pressure, but excellent filter rating otherwise.

pbzzz

Reaction score
Not sure who needs to see this, but figured it would be helpful to someone…the oil filter always makes such a mess. Cover the tie rod and frame with a foil-luge down into a 5 gal bucket. Still have to clean up a bit in the plastic funnel thing they put under the filter, but it’s better than nothing. I also put some foil over the sway bar to keep oil drips off when removing/installing the filter

View attachment 37752View attachment 37753View attachment 37754
skip the tin man . . . just wipe with a rag when done

pbzzz

Reaction score
Mine says SN on the bottle, but I can't read what letter my manual says. To me the manual states it must have the API Donut trademark. It doesn't state it has to have that exact trademark.

I pulled out at bottle of PUP too and it shows SN on the donut as well.

View attachment 55000
look at PUPP not just PUP

Tim_G

Reaction score
I guess my brain has too many acronyms in it already, but what is PUP and/or PUPP? I'm 90% sure it's something Pennzoil related, but I like to ask so that I can get to 100% sure. Thanks!

Enve46

Reaction score
Never heard of PUPP, not sure where this second imaginary P comes from

Users who are viewing this thread