Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Thread - 6.4 Hemi

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I’ve gotta say it’s ridiculous that the Hemi is still using metal can filters when pretty much every other engine, including those made by Stellantis, is using cartridges now.
Funny how things roll back around.

Everything used canisters oil filters up though the 60s and then almost everyone switched to spin on oil filters.

I would think spin on filters would reduce chance leaks and where as canister filters possibly increase the chance of contamination being introduced since every bit of dirty oil may NOT get cleaned out.

I can see the reduction in waste with canister filters.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
Is it due for replacement after 23? I heard about an inline motor with a spinny thing replacing it. If so I can see not revamping the design when its replacement has been in development for a bit.
Im sure I’m most vehicles, but I don’t see the Hurricane TT6 replacing the Hemi in HD trucks anytime soon. They can get away with that for privately owned vehicles that don’t spend a significant portion of their life moving heavy loads, but I can’t see a medium-sized high-strung TT engine holding up to fleet use and abuse, and Ram Commercial definitely knows their customers.

jsalbre

Reaction score
me too. the canister filters on the earlier 3.6 pentastars were troublesome. I have never had an issue with my 6.4 filter and only use oem. I do change 5000-6000 miles tho.
The early ones had some issues, but I’ve got 200k plus miles on the last two generations of 3.6 and haven’t had any issues. VE has been using cartridges on their engines for a long time, and I do t recall those ever being a source of trouble.

The big advantage to the cartridge insert style is that the filter is just a filter. You don’t have to rely on random manufacturers valves or anything else. You don’t buy an air filter that has the entire air box and intake attached to it, why should you do that with an oil filter?

dieselscout80

Reaction score
The big advantage to the cartridge insert style is that the filter is just a filter. You don’t have to rely on random manufacturers valves or anything else. You don’t buy an air filter that has the entire air box and intake attached to it, why should you do that with an oil filter?
A great and interesting point.

jadmt

Reaction score
Amazon has Pennzoil PUP 0w40 for $55.57 for a case of 6. My local napa has it but 15.95 a qt and local O'Reilly auto has it in stock but $12.99 a qt.

tbaker

Reaction score
When I had my 6.4 it was noisy on the factory recommended PUP, sounded like a thrashing machine(no, really)on Amsoil AZF, was quiet for a good while on Red Line 0W40, but stayed quiet the longest on 5W40 Red Line. I chose to use the Mopar SRT filters, but Royal Purple(filters NOT oil), and WIX XP get good reviews. The theory being to avoid paper filters if you plan to take advantage of synthetic oil's longer change interval.

Not trying to start an oil war, just my experience battling Hemi Tick. Red Line was the solution for my 6.4. YMMV.
Ans
Last time I looked Amsoil didn’t make a filter for the Hemi?
o also told me they don’t have oil for a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi they carry Wix oil filters

RAM Stag

Reaction score
Ans

o also told me they don’t have oil for a 2022 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi they carry Wix oil filters
2016 2500 with 6.4 - Wix filter #57060 and Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40. Elvira runs quiet and smooth.

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
I believe they just changed the oil spec so that the only approved oil is PUP for warranty claims.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I believe they just changed the oil spec so that the only approved oil is PUP for warranty claims.
2023 Manual still says this:
We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-A0921. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
i have to check my manual to see if my 2022 oil spec is different from previous years. Amsoil site doesn't have recommendations for my truck but if i entered a 2021 truck it recommended their signature series 0w-40.

RAM Stag

Reaction score
i have to check my manual to see if my 2022 oil spec is different from previous years. Amsoil site doesn't have recommendations for my truck but if i entered a 2021 truck it recommended their signature series 0w-40.
I use Amsoil in my 2016 2500, 6.4L Hemi. The Signature Series is the only 0W-40 they offer I believe; at least that is all I can find when buying.

Tater86

Reaction score
They changed the approved Mil-Spec required for the Engine from 2021 to 2022+. The only two that meet the spec now are PUP and Schaeffers.

ClawSS

Reaction score
They changed the approved Mil-Spec required for the Engine from 2021 to 2022+. The only two that meet the spec now are PUP and Schaeffers.
Not so sure about the Schaeffers one TBH. I don't think it is for the 22's based on the API SP as well. I think that the 0-40 is just SN.

Users who are viewing this thread