Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Thread - 6.4 Hemi

Clayinfl

Reaction score
So mostly on topic- but a little off. I did my first oil change today. Had 3500 miles, just got back from second long trip. Everything went fine, except now my dipstick shows a little over the “safe” markings. It was right in the middle before I did the change. I drained everything out warm until it stopped. I used 7 quarts exactly. Now I also see my normal Oil pressure is up from 52 to 54/55. Is this as expected? Or am I overfilled somehow?
sorry, I didn’t do any changes on my 1500, too big a PIA, but the 2500 was really easy. Just left me wondering how much oil it really holds.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Someone (somewhere) had posted a OA of unused AMSoil, I thought I had saved it to use as a comparison but apparently not...
=====================
UOA of AMSoil 0w-40
8,840 miles on the oil (driving back from WI so I indicator was definitely at 0%)
48,573 miles on truck at time of oil change

Previous oil changes (all AMSoil) were usually when the Oil Life Indicator showed about 10%.
8,414 (I think this was the drive out to Oregon so I think it went down to 0%)

1702087374796.png

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Someone (somewhere) had posted a OA of unused AMSoil, I thought I had saved it to use as a comparison but apparently not...
=====================
UOA of AMSoil 0w-40
8,840 miles on the oil (driving back from WI so I indicator was definitely at 0%)
48,573 miles on truck at time of oil change

Previous oil changes (all AMSoil) were usually when the Oil Life Indicator showed about 10%.
8,414 (I think this was the drive out to Oregon so I think it went down to 0%)
Looks like a great UOA report, I short trip daily and can make it to 15k easily if you're so inclined to run farther between changes.
What oil filter are you running?

I've published a few videos on my AMSOIL usage to youtube.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Without UOA and without extended OCI oil/filter that applies.

If you’re using an extended OCI oil and filter and establish a baseline with UOA it’s perfectly acceptable to exceed the factory OCI.

The factory OCI is based on oil and filters that meet minimum spec.
I hear you. But oil quality and filter life are the two most important things if you don’t want Hemi tick or MDS failures, right?

So you saved $70 bucks on an oil change but how much does a blackstone lab cost? That cuts your savings. More importantly, I have yet to find a filter that lasts 8k miles. The oil still looks fine but I change my oil when the ADBV starts failing. I’ve gotten almost to 8k with a wix 57060xp

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear you. But oil quality and filter life are the two most important things if you don’t want Hemi tick or MDS failures, right?

So you saved $70 bucks on an oil change but how much does a blackstone lab cost? That cuts your savings. More importantly, I have yet to find a filter that lasts 8k miles. The oil still looks fine but I change my oil when the ADBV starts failing. I’ve gotten almost to 8k with a wix 57060xp

Filters are an issue, I see Amsoil doesn’t makes one. Not sure what guys are using for longer drains, or if they are changing the filter 1/2 way thru.

You won’t have to do a UOA time. You can establish a OCI with an oil the engine likes and go from there.

It’s not just about saving money, it’s about saving time too. I’ve got all my rigs on a once a year OCI with the proper oils, despite what the factory OCIs were. The CTD is the only one with a 12 month OCI in the book.

Enve46

Reaction score
Ive always changed oils ahead of schedule. I just past 1000 miles on my PW and will be doing its first oil change. From there I plan to stick to 5k durations as I do a lot of stop and go and short interval driving, which is in part why I dont have a diesel anymore. To me its cheap insurance and well worth the 1 hour of time it takes. Sure, I could be "Wasting" but its one less thing to stress about and overthink, which I do a lot of in other areas. My plan is to stick with the recommended PUP and use the Wix 57060XP.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Ive always changed oils ahead of schedule. I just past 1000 miles on my PW and will be doing its first oil change. From there I plan to stick to 5k durations as I do a lot of stop and go and short interval driving, which is in part why I dont have a diesel anymore. To me its cheap insurance and well worth the 1 hour of time it takes. Sure, I could be "Wasting" but its one less thing to stress about and overthink, which I do a lot of in other areas. My plan is to stick with the recommended PUP and use the Wix 57060XP.
May I ask why the Wix XP? If you are changing at a 5k duration, why wouldn't you want a non-XP that would be the better filter for that short interval. XPs are by-design made to filter less particles over time in order to get the X-tended life (read as longer OCI). A regular Wix filter will purposely filter smaller particles and would be much less effective over the longer OCI, but work perfectly on the shorter 5k OCI you have in mind to maintain.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
May I ask why the Wix XP? If you are changing at a 5k duration, why wouldn't you want a non-XP that would be the better filter for that short interval. XPs are by-design made to filter less particles over time in order to get the X-tended life (read as longer OCI). A regular Wix filter will purposely filter smaller particles and would be much less effective over the longer OCI, but work perfectly on the shorter 5k OCI you have in mind to maintain.

XP has synthetic media, vs enhanced cellulose.

Wix doesn’t publish specs on the XP, but generally synthetic media offers improved filtration and dirt holding capabilities.

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
XP has synthetic media, vs enhanced cellulose.

Wix doesn’t publish specs on the XP, but generally synthetic media offers improved filtration and dirt holding capabilities.
The data I have seen on the 57060XP is 99% at 35 microns, the regular 57060 is 99% at 23 microns.
The synthetic media and larger micron rating gets them the longer change interval and higher capacity for debris, but it pays the price in filtration.

AMSOIL does not spec a filter because there were issues with some MDS Hemis filling the filters to capacity extremely early. I have used both the EA15K50 and EAO11 and have not had any oil pressure codes or issues

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score
Simply, its a highly recommended filter by not just 6.4 Ram HD users but also SRT guys as well. Its often compared to the SRT filter which both control oil filtration better at higher oil pressures. The reason for PUP is simply to avoid potential warranty issues with their new requirements. Regardless, with 5k OCI, I doubt much of this really matters much, just what Ive set my decision on and moving forward with.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Simply, its a highly recommended filter by not just 6.4 Ram HD users but also SRT guys as well. Its often compared to the SRT filter which both control oil filtration better at higher oil pressures. The reason for PUP is simply to avoid potential warranty issues with their new requirements. Regardless, with 5k OCI, I doubt much of this really matters much, just what Ive set my decision on and moving forward with.
If you change your own oil, you are not going to avoid warranty issues. You will just need to be ready for the added complexity of the claim WHEN they occur, not if. Secondly if you live on BITOG like I do, you will come to find out that Wix is not the Wix of old...
I bring this up since I was once where you are and did and believed what you do. I bought 6 XP filters, then made the consideration that I was only running a 5k OCI and why allow that much of "new" engine wear particles to flow through when I didn't need to. So I bought 6 more regular Wix filters. My OCI on the wife's SRT allowed me to run 130k mi. on the 6.1 NON-MDS engine before the lifter ate the cam and I think that was just because the utilization of the car became monthly instead of daily.

I only started the convo with you and @jdefoe0424 gave the specs to back it up. You are filtering less and then changing it WAY before you are getting any benefit of the more expensive XP.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I wasn’t able to get more than 5500 miles out of the mopar / srt filters on my first few changes before I got dry starts which I attributed to a failing ADBV. Tried a wix xp and got 7k and that’s what I’ve been averaging with the xp. The last oil change I could’ve made it to 8k but I changed it before a road trip for peace of mind.

PUP since new and no consumption between changes, fwiw.

Anecdotal evidence, I know. But, it’s good enough for me. this thread is about as far as I’ve gone into research.

You’re saying the non xp filters better though? Never tried the non xp I assumed xp was for synthetic

Enve46

Reaction score
If you change your own oil, you are not going to avoid warranty issues. You will just need to be ready for the added complexity of the claim WHEN they occur, not if. Secondly if you live on BITOG like I do, you will come to find out that Wix is not the Wix of old...
I bring this up since I was once where you are and did and believed what you do. I bought 6 XP filters, then made the consideration that I was only running a 5k OCI and why allow that much of "new" engine wear particles to flow through when I didn't need to. So I bought 6 more regular Wix filters. My OCI on the wife's SRT allowed me to run 130k mi. on the 6.1 NON-MDS engine before the lifter ate the cam and I think that was just because the utilization of the car became monthly instead of daily.

I only started the convo with you and @jdefoe0424 gave the specs to back it up. You are filtering less and then changing it WAY before you are getting any benefit of the more expensive XP.
Well thats certainly helpful information. Ill look into the non XP version. Thank you for that. Regarding changing my own oil, with receipts and documenting things, Ill cross that bridge if I need to. Tired of getting my truck back covered in oil while paying twice as much as I need to.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Certainly the larger (worse) micron rating is still good enough, right? Also, the longer interval filter with the higher micron rating would tighten up over time as it accumulated particles, correct? Filters are always more efficient at filtration after they’ve “dirtied up a little” (applying pool guy experience here)

ClawSS

Reaction score
Well thats certainly helpful information. Ill look into the non XP version. Thank you for that. Regarding changing my own oil, with receipts and documenting things, Ill cross that bridge if I need to. Tired of getting my truck back covered in oil while paying twice as much as I need to.
I agree 100%. I do all of my own maintenance...including my own aftermarket part installs (tint, PPF, and ceramic not included) and I will be tearing out the interior for the "kid in me" stereo install very soon.
But I also think we all need to do our own investigation and come to our own conclusions. You do you. Lots of good advice and a lot of not-so-good out there and here too.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Certainly the larger (worse) micron rating is still good enough, right? Also, the longer interval filter with the higher micron rating would tighten up over time as it accumulated particles, correct? Filters are always more efficient at filtration after they’ve “dirtied up a little” (applying pool guy experience here)
Yes, and just think how much more efficient the regular one would be at the same interval! The crux is the "bound and determined" 5k OCI. You stick to that and the XP is not the filter for you....you run 10-15k (please don't on a HEMI) and the XP could be something to think about.

flan

Reaction score
This is a great thread, usually I don’t follow the 6.4 threads too much but since my 5.7 in my other vehicle uses the same filters as the 6.4 you guys are speaking about you have my interest. I’m about 5k into ownership and was contemplating a early oil change but haven’t done any research. Seems like pup and a non xp will be in my cart.
Thanks to the contributors.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The data I have seen on the 57060XP is 99% at 35 microns, the regular 57060 is 99% at 23 microns.
The synthetic media and larger micron rating gets them the longer change interval and higher capacity for debris, but it pays the price in filtration.

AMSOIL does not spec a filter because there were issues with some MDS Hemis filling the filters to capacity extremely early. I have used both the EA15K50 and EAO11 and have not had any oil pressure codes or issues

Wix data shows the 57060 as 2um at 50% and 20um at 95%, I’d be surprised if it went absolute by 23um but it’s possible.

35um for synthetic media isn’t fantastic, but wix has never overly impressed me.

Users who are viewing this thread