Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New RAM Owner PDI Checklist and FAQ

arx237

Reaction score
If you go back a few posts I put some links for some popular tire pressure threads as it was starting to derail this thread

d19r93

Reaction score
If you go back a few posts I put some links for some popular tire pressure threads as it was starting to derail this thread
I found that post, thank you. I seem to post before reading everything - something I shouldn't do but for some odd reason that I cannot figure out.... I still do it.

arx237

Reaction score
I picked up my new truck yesterday and ran through this.

• It went pretty quick and I think a large contributing factor for that was reviewing this prior to seeing the truck. I had a really really good idea what I was looking for and didn't need to reference the paper copy I had printed out.
  • It took me roughly 15 minutes without feeling that I was rushing it.
  • I recommend cutting out all the notes you know and distilling the list down to the bare minimum you need to accomplish the inspection then reviewing that a few times on the flight down or whenever. Having my plan of attack here was key.
  • The dealer seemed VERY surprised when I was pointing some things like fuses, tire pressures, top of the cab, etc. Bottom line here is you will very likely roll into the dealer knowing more about your truck and what to look for than they do.
  • Their PDI will not catch most of the list.
  • I am very glad I did this and feel it allowed me to find everything in the shortest amount of time as I had to absolutely get on the road ASAP for other commitments that evening.
  • The pull to fiddle with the buttons and menus is very strong and it was super hard to resist the distraction until after I had completed looking at everything I needed to inspect.

I am still open to tweaks and suggestions if others find this to be a useful tool. Unfortunately with google docs I have exactly zero idea how popular this is or isn't.

RLMandich

Reaction score
I picked up my new truck yesterday and ran through this.

• It went pretty quick and I think a large contributing factor for that was reviewing this prior to seeing the truck. I had a really really good idea what I was looking for and didn't need to reference the paper copy I had printed out.
  • It took me roughly 15 minutes without feeling that I was rushing it.
  • I recommend cutting out all the notes you know and distilling the list down to the bare minimum you need to accomplish the inspection then reviewing that a few times on the flight down or whenever. Having my plan of attack here was key.
  • The dealer seemed VERY surprised when I was pointing some things like fuses, tire pressures, top of the cab, etc. Bottom line here is you will very likely roll into the dealer knowing more about your truck and what to look for than they do.
  • Their PDI will not catch most of the list.
  • I am very glad I did this and feel it allowed me to find everything in the shortest amount of time as I had to absolutely get on the road ASAP for other commitments that evening.
  • The pull to fiddle with the buttons and menus is very strong and it was super hard to resist the distraction until after I had completed looking at everything I needed to inspect.

I am still open to tweaks and suggestions if others find this to be a useful tool. Unfortunately with google docs I have exactly zero idea how popular this is or isn't.
It’s definitely a useful tool. You have to already be close to it since you put so much into creating the list. I think it will be a huge help to others as they pick up their rigs. So thank you, and enjoy your new ride!

Scubaz66

Reaction score
LOL..... If the members only knew where the beginning of this PDI Checklist originated.... Glad it's helping those who prefer to have a checklist of items to watch for when retrieving their new trucks.

arx237

Reaction score
LOL..... If the members only knew where the beginning of this PDI Checklist originated.... Glad it's helping those who prefer to have a checklist of items to watch for when retrieving their new trucks.
To be perfectly clear: This particular list originated with me.

My ideal checklist was already being worked on before I was even a member here and is partly the reason I even joined the forum.

I took the majority of the one posted by firecadet613 on 5thgen and added HD specific details, my personal experience, and the tidbits of knowledge I could glean from reading through 1500+ post threads at 3am instead of being more productive at work.

This is the second time in this thread you have implied you are the OG source of this document. I do not believe I can attribute a single line back to a post or contribution from you.

My multiple requests for your input and original checklist have yet to be responded to.

Last edited:

Scubaz66

Reaction score
To be perfectly clear: This particular list originated with me.

My ideal checklist was already being worked on before I was even a member here and is partly the reason I even joined the forum.

I took the majority of the one posted by firecadet613 on 5thgen and added HD specific details, my personal experience, and the tidbits of knowledge I could glean from reading through 1500+ post threads at 3am instead of being more productive at work.

This is the second time in this thread you have implied you are the OG source of this document. I do not believe I can attribute a single line back to a post or contribution from you.

My multiple requests for your input and original checklist have yet to be responded to.
I'm not saying "YOU" alone didn't create this particular Checklist and I give you credit for your ability to do so. I'm not asking for you to give me credit. I don't want credit for something "YOU" alone created however, I too started a checklist for myself back in Sept 2021 when I originally ordered by 2022 RAM Big Horn. It was tailored to me for my particular truck. While reading the Forum I took notes as to other items people were noticing, like the seating of fuses. Not my finding, but I included it on my checklist.

This checklist grew to several pages and in the meantime many members were requesting copies of my checklist to use when they took delivery of their new truck. It got to the point every day I logged on, someone was wanting a copy of this Checklist. I created the Checklist in a Word document as well as an Excel Document. Problem was: everyone wanted a copy but few were actually trying to help create it so I just quit emailing it. A few members, (can't remember their names) offered to pay me for this Checklist out of the goodness of their own heart because they realized the man hours required to produce this list.

Going forward I chose to no longer email this checklist because it was taking too much of my time.

arx237

Reaction score
beginning of this PDI Checklist originated

The word "this" is my reason for clarification. Not whether you made your own list or the inherent difficulty in an individual email distribution model.

I am not inclined to get into a pissing match with "random internet person" so if you want in, I am more than happy to cite and link your additions. If you noticed in the list itself there are a lot of links to other peoples threads where hopefully people may recognize those users contribition to the forum and through this compiled document of that knowledge.

If you want no part of this then thats ok too. I promise you my one long ago PM to you on the subject was it from me.

Cheers,
Arx

arx237

Reaction score
FYI Mark Dodge installs wheel locks and a cable lock on the spare tire as a courtesy which is really nice of them.

The key however was hidden in the smallest console compartment and I had forgot to ask where it was before driving off the lot. Glad I didn't need the spare on the drive home.

Checklist has been updated.

Sancroix

Reaction score
I really appreciate the checklist, this thread, and its updates. While I've not been as extensive or diligent in the past, this is a great thought exercise on how closely a buyer could be on inspection.

In this day when new cars are as expensive as they are, and when buying could mean out-of-state and therefore difficult/improbable to take back for work or renumeration, it is worth a buyer's time to inspect fully to their own satisfaction. It should also help in any discussions of "It wasn't like that when you drove off". Finally, my cash deposit has only two refundable stipulations: If the vehicle has more than $1000 damage before I take delivery, or if expected features are missing.
I might add, by way of advice, to have a printout of what features you ordered and expect to be present and functioning.

Cheers!

watican

Reaction score
I don't see a checklist line for the front winter grille cover and block heater if ordered for diesels.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the grille cover is P68526832AA

The block heater should be installed, I am just planning to verify that the 110v plug is hanging out of the front of the truck somewhere
It will be hiding up behind the license plate behind the bumper/lower air dam.

1Tuf4X4

Reaction score
About 90% of my fuses were not fully inserted. When I pushed the first one and it clicked in, I called the salesman over to show him. He saw me push in just about every single fuse. I think there were only 3 or 4 that were fully seated.
I picked up my Power Wagon a week ago. Today I remembered reading a post about fuses not being properly inserted. I checked my fuses and all of the smaller fuses were not completely inserted. The larger block looking fuses were fully inserted.

Users who are viewing this thread