Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New RAM Owner PDI Checklist and FAQ

arx237

Reaction score
This document is intended for the brand new first time RAM owner.

• This checklist is constantly being updated. Link below is the latest version.
  • Copy and modify to suit your needs.
  • Insight, corrections and additional items that should be added or removed are welcome, please post here and I will update it.
  • Please keep the comments focused on the checklist itself!
If you use this either in part or in full please provide feedback! Good, bad or indifferent to include what you chopped or added to your list will all help improve its usefulness.

Checklist for 2022 Rams:
*Mobile users may need to be in landscape instead of vertical orientation to maintain readability.

Last three updates:
10/1/22 - Added hood badge issue
6/24/22 - Corrections, additional links, window trim issues
5/26/22 - Added block heater, corrections

Last edited:

snlsmith

Reaction score
Why not start the truck prior to the customer arrival? Wouldn't they start it to move it to a flat location?

arx237

Reaction score
Pulled that from the 5thgen rams list. I probably won't insist on it but its there anyway likely because poking around a hot engine is never really too fun.

I suppose the flat location question is dependent on dealer location.

EDIT: Another point in favor of a cold engine (Hemi) that I just came across is the user manual states that coolant level should be between min and max with a cold engine.

Last edited:

snlsmith

Reaction score
This posted right before my truck arrived. When the dealer called me, I told him all of the things to NOT do. Just saw the truck posted on the web site, with every single item completed. :mad:

snlsmith

Reaction score
Curious about why they should NOT wash the truck? I'd think you would want them to wash it so you could better see any possible damage.

arx237

Reaction score
Curious about why they should NOT wash the truck? I'd think you would want them to wash it so you could better see any possible damage.
A whole lot of folks have experienced damage ( swirls scratches etc ) after letting the dealer wash their ride. That's not just limited to Ram dealers either, pretty much industry wide. That said there are dealers who do care and will do a wonderful job so I guess it all comes down to how much you trust your dealer and your standards for allowable scratches in the clearcoat.

Also there are a number of folks who for personal reasons prefer to only have their vehicle washed by themselves.

This posted right before my truck arrived. When the dealer called me, I told him all of the things to NOT do. Just saw the truck posted on the web site, with every single item completed.
That sucks, it might be best to email in the future that way you can wave it about and make them take the stuff off and fix any damage they caused.

A good point though and I will add a note about dealer acknowledgement of the Don'ts to that section. It may be important especially for things like the front license plate mount that involves drilling holes and would require actual repair/plugs.

Last edited:

mcarey

Reaction score
Am I the only weirdo that just goes and basically picks it up? Obviously walk around and check for any obvious glaring issues, take it for a drive to make sure it runs as expected and basic functions work, etc. I think when I picked up my truck my "inspection" took all of 10 minutes inside and out, and that included connecting my phone and driving it.

A 10 page list, requiring tools? LOL, yeah right.

If I have a problem, I'll bring it back. That's what the dealership and warranty is for.

arx237

Reaction score
Well that didn't take long.

If the list is not your cup of tea then why bother responding?

Last edited:

mcarey

Reaction score
Well that didn't take long.

If the list is not your cup of tea then why bother responding?
For the sake of discussion? Curious to know what others may or may not do? In 5+ days, there's been almost no discussion in this thread, so it's not like I'm stymying any conversation with my relevant response.

Sorry for not patting you on the back first.

gator6

Reaction score
I can see the use in it, and another user had passed around a checklist earlier (months ago). There have been things that not many people think to look for, or some have never owned a diesel. Some people like a little order, and this makes them feel safe. Kudos for taking the time to post it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcarey

Reaction score
I can see the use in it, and another user had passed around a checklist earlier (months ago). There have been things that not many people think to look for, or some have never owned a diesel. Some people like a little order, and this makes them feel safe. Kudos for taking the time to post it!

Oh I never said it wasn't useful, or anything even close to the sort. I was just curious if this kind of process was more the norm or not for users here.

gator6

Reaction score
Oh I never said it wasn't useful, or anything even close to the sort. I was just curious if this kind of process was more the norm or not for users here.

Oh my last few purchases I’ve looked over a bit (used) but I’ve never bought new. We’ve had new cars growing up, and we usually had a two or three day test drive with them before purchasing…which is unheard of nowadays?

If I’m going to spend this kind of money on a truck, and I’m buying out of state, I want to know It’s good to go before I get on the road.

I can see it your way too, the thing is brand new and shouldn’t break in the first few hundred miles, but I’m seeing issues on social media that are worth addressing prior to it leading to something later on.

mcarey

Reaction score
Oh my last few purchases I’ve looked over a bit (used) but I’ve never bought new. We’ve had new cars growing up, and we usually had a two or three day test drive with them before purchasing…which is unheard of nowadays?

If I’m going to spend this kind of money on a truck, and I’m buying out of state, I want to know It’s good to go before I get on the road.

I can see it your way too, the thing is brand new and shouldn’t break in the first few hundred miles, but I’m seeing issues on social media that are worth addressing prior to it leading to something later on.

Haven't heard of multiple day test drives in ages! Little blast from the past.

I take the social media postings with a grain of salt, personally. Absolutely no one posts about how things went totally as expected, but everyone wants to complain when things happen.

Like I said, I've got no issues with people doing this kind of inspection - that'd be a weird hang up lol. I'm moreso just surprised this is the lengths some go. I've bought 4 new vehicles in the last 8 years or so, and have never done anything even close to it. Even my truck, having to drive it 1000 miles home, just got a look over, relatively basic sanity check, and a quick glance at the valve clearance before I went on my way! ;-)

But really, I was just curious if this was something more people did or not.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Couple things after just a quick glance:

Items that should be present inside the vehicle:
  • Diesel trucks should have a small white funnel for adding fuel from a can.

• Fuses fully seated - add wiggle test on underhood grounds.

• Fit and finish
    • Trim - check that the A-pillar trim to dash interface is correct
  • Cameras
    • Plug in and verify digital tow mode camera
  • Air suspension trucks - check level

arx237

Reaction score
Couple things after just a quick glance:

Items that should be present inside the vehicle:
  • Diesel trucks should have a small white funnel for adding fuel from a can.

• Fuses fully seated - add wiggle test on underhood grounds.

• Fit and finish
    • Trim - check that the A-pillar trim to dash interface is correct
  • Cameras
    • Plug in and verify digital tow mode camera
  • Air suspension trucks - check level
I did not include diesel as I am getting a Mr. Hemi. I am willing to do another list with that powertrain if the interest is there.

Fuses seated are already there in the engine bay area, pulled from multiple posts

Fit and finish, specifically a pillar and door trim are already mentioned in a note on interior. I believe I pulled that along with residue on the seats from one of your older posts.

I did not order cameras or airbags so neither are mentioned but again I would be happy to add them as a maybe an option sheet at the end if the interest is there. Turn it into a compiled list of all options that include pieces that should be present.

How many and where are the under hood grounds that need checking?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not include diesel as I am getting a Mr. Hemi. I am willing to do another list with that powertrain if the interest is there.

Fuses seated are already there in the engine bay area, pulled from multiple posts

Fit and finish, specifically a pillar and door trim are already mentioned in a note on interior. I believe I pulled that along with residue on the seats from one of your older posts.

I did not order cameras or airbags so neither are mentioned but again I would be happy to add them as a maybe an option sheet at the end if the interest is there. Turn it into a compiled list of all options that include pieces that should be present.

How many and where are the under hood grounds that need checking?

It only needs a few things added to be more generic and that's all I was trying to offer. It's easy to add '"if equipped" instead of a separate list for a different powertrain. You asked for suggestions, so they were offered.

Yes, you have fuses, I was adding the ground wire checks. There are grounds along the driver side fender.

Yes, trim is there, I was adding a specific check that I encountered. The base of the A-pillar trim was not hooked into the dash and easily overlooked.

arx237

Reaction score
and this makes them feel safe

For me it was simply a way to organize all the little things that seem to bite some people in the ass when they try to get the dealer to honor that "warranty". In my experience small things like dents, scrapes, or even the infamous Pentastar tic can be a nightmare to convince the dealer to cover. It just seems easier to me to find and address as many issues as I can right then and there. I would rather spend 20 minutes checking than lose my truck for days/weeks at a time going back and forth with FCA.

I've bought 4 new vehicles in the last 8 years or so, and have never done anything even close to it.
Good for you I doubt many are as experienced as you in inspecting their new vehicles. I certainly am not. As I mentioned in my very first post this list is probably not for you. Hence my reaction of why bother if all you are going to do is poo-poo the idea instead of going right to what took you two additional posts to get to... " I was just curious if this kind of process was more the norm or not for users here." Should have just lead with that and I would have been happy to explain my reasoning.

If you read the list, the bulk of it is simply the exact same thing you are looking for on a quick walkaround. The difference is the bits I added that, as I said above, seem to bite guys in the ass on the rare occasion they happen. Answers buried deep in the forums if you will that seem to get asked every week or three in not only this forum but others.

Laugh at the tools all you want. I have my reasons.

Last edited:

arx237

Reaction score
It only needs a few things added to be more generic and that's all I was trying to offer. It's easy to add '"if equipped" instead of a separate list for a different powertrain. You asked for suggestions, so they were offered.

Yes, you have fuses, I was adding the ground wire checks. There are grounds along the driver side fender.

Yes, trim is there, I was adding a specific check that I encountered. The base of the A-pillar trim was not hooked into the dash and easily overlooked.
How many grounds are to be checked? Is there a difference on the number between Hemi and Diesel?

Users who are viewing this thread