Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Big Booty Dually Adventure Rig Build

Citrusrules

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to start a thread to document the progress on my new truck.

I'm coming from a 2018 Ecodiesel, and decided to pull the trigger on my dream truck.

I've been looking around for a few months, evr since I saw the used truck prices on the Ecodiesels, and realized that it would be a good time to sell my truck.

My primary reason for upgrading initially was to get the MegaCab. I have three young girls (8, 5, and 2) that I take on a lot of trips, so I wanted the extra cab room.

I also liked the idea of upgrading to a Cummins, having already driven the baby diesel.

A lot of our trips involve towing travel trailers. We currently rent them, as we don't own one yet, but I'm hoping to change that soon.

The Ecodiesel has been surprisingly good at towing, but it still gets a little overwhelmed sometimes with some of the bigger trailers, so I figured the HD truck will be even better.

I was initially looking at the 2500's, but I liked the idea of getting the high output Cummins with the Aisin, so I figured I might as well go with the 3500... and if I'm getting a 3500, I might as well get a dually, right? I can't honestly say that I have a need for the Dually, but I've always wanted one since I was a kid, so I figured why not, right?

After going through the build process online I decided that I wanted a very specific combination of features, which proved to be rather hard to find at dealerships.

I wanted a two tone with brown leather, with just about every single option, including the air suspension and upfitter switches.

This proved to be an exceedingly difficult truck to find, but I stumbled across one on cars.com, located at Rockwall Dodge in Texas.

Here's the specs on the truck:

2021 Ram 3500
Longhorn Limited
Diamond Black with two-tone RV match brown paint
Cattle Tan leather seats
Cummins HO
Dual Rear Wheels
Air suspension
Towing technology group
Safety group
Protection group
5th wheel prep (this is the only option it has that I would have passed on, as I have no plans to ever tow a 5th wheel)
Longhorn Level 1 group
4.10 axle ratio
Sunroof
Auxiliary switches
Dual alternators (440 amps)

I contacted the dealership, bought it online, and it's currently being shipped to me in California right now.

I'm planning on installing an RSI smart cap as soon as it arrives, so that we'll be ready for our next camping trip in April.

I look forward to updating you all here with my progress as I build up the truck the way that I want it.

I hope you all enjoy, and thanks to everyone who posts on here... I've already learned a lot by reading through old threads.

-Angus
We have recently purchase 4 RAM trucks for our business, from North Carolina. We also have had to purchase trailers from Ga to accommodate our needs. We put a 2500 in one of the trailers back to Ca. Maybe we can bring yours for a much better price? We have another trailer to get in a couple of weeks.
If you would like to discuss, just call my cell 559 553 5526.
Jim R

SFAngus

Reaction score
We have recently purchase 4 RAM trucks for our business, from North Carolina. We also have had to purchase trailers from Ga to accommodate our needs. We put a 2500 in one of the trailers back to Ca. Maybe we can bring yours for a much better price? We have another trailer to get in a couple of weeks.
If you would like to discuss, just call my cell 559 553 5526.
Jim R
Hi Jim-

I already got my truck, thanks though!

SFAngus

Reaction score
I also got my KYKR screen protector installed, and I'm very happy with it.

Amazon Link here

It took a few tries to get it perfect, but it was surprisingly forgiving of me pulling it partially off multiple times to make minor corrections and remove bubbles.

It came out perfect in the end, and seems to work quite nicely. No reduction in touch sensitivity that I can tell.

20210321_144935.jpg

Mat_HD

Reaction score

Amazon Link here

It took a few tries to get it perfect, but it was surprisingly forgiving of me pulling it partially off multiple times to make minor corrections and remove bubbles.

It came out perfect in the end, and seems to work quite nicely. No reduction in touch sensitivity that I can tell.
Thanks for the link! I just bought one to take with me when I pick up the truck.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I replaced the factory DEF cap and diesel cap with aluminum ones from Amazon.

Amazon Link here

Before:

20210321_141315.jpg

After:

20210323_111547.jpg

I didn't realize that the DEF cap was tethered in these trucks, so at first I wasn't sure if I could reuse it, but with a little effort from a flat head screwdriver I was able to swap them out and keep the factory tether.

Last edited:

RV_Goose

Reaction score
When I bought my 2020 with the 8.4, I thought about the need for a screen protector. It's not like my phone that can get dropped easily. So I went online and found too many examples of things happening to the screens. So for $10 I got a screen protector for my truck. Wife looked at me funny, then I showed her the videos of the broken screens in too many different types of vehicles.

Mat_HD

Reaction score
When I bought my 2020 with the 8.4, I thought about the need for a screen protector. It's not like my phone that can get dropped easily. So I went online and found too many examples of things happening to the screens. So for $10 I got a screen protector for my truck. Wife looked at me funny, then I showed her the videos of the broken screens in too many different types of vehicles.
We've had the 8.4 in our Jeep for 2 years, and you can see scratches on it in the sunlight. Not really noticeable with the screen on thankfully.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Amazon Link here

I've had the KYKR on mine for a year now. Very pleased with it. Got lucky and it went on straight the first try with no trapped particles or bubbles that wouldn't' squeegee out. You can see a slight greenish tint on the edge in bright sunlight but it's not distracting or unsightly and not really visible from the driver position/angle.

Not sure if it's worth the (small) extra cost over others, but what's done is done. As they say, buy once, cry once.

BoatGuyNY

Reaction score

Amazon Link here

Before:

View attachment 13691

After:

View attachment 13692

I didn't realize that the DEF cap was tethered in these trucks, so at first I wasn't sure if I could reuse it, but with a little effort from a flat head screwdriver I was able to swap them out and keep the factory tether.
Nice truck. Did you get your caps from Genos?

Mat_HD

Reaction score

Amazon Link here

So on Amazon, it references a strong magnet to stick to any surface on your truck when filling. I guess you'd just stick it to the inside of the fuel door? I sure as hell wouldn't stick that thing to any finished paint surfaces on the truck.

SFAngus

Reaction score
So on Amazon, it references a strong magnet to stick to any surface on your truck when filling. I guess you'd just stick it to the inside of the fuel door? I sure as hell wouldn't stick that thing to any finished paint surfaces on the truck.
Correct... I usually stick it on the arm of the fuel door, right here:

20210324_090705.jpg

CdnHO

Reaction score

Amazon Link here

Before:

View attachment 13691

After:

View attachment 13692

I was under the impression that Ram changed the filler neck in 2019 and that previous fuel caps were not compatible.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I was under the impression that Ram changed the filler neck in 2019 and that previous fuel caps were not compatible.

The only experience I had prior was with my 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. I had a similar setup with aluminum caps that worked well.

This cap doesn't fit quite as snugly as the cap that I had in my last truck, but as you can see from the photo, it still fits.

I think that the new filler necks have ridges perpendicular to the opening, which may be the difference from prior versions.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The only experience I had prior was with my 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. I had a similar setup with aluminum caps that worked well.

This cap doesn't fit quite as snugly as the cap that I had in my last truck, but as you can see from the photo, it still fits.

I think that the new filler necks have ridges perpendicular to the opening, which may be the difference from prior versions.

Correct,

Those three vertical ridges present on 19+ are accommodated in the Genos caps.

1616615584902.png

Non-locking:
1616615668813.png

Locking: (BEM Auto prototype pic sans magnet)
1616616376029.png

Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
Glad you got your truck . I can't believe the crap you went thru to get a truck you paid for . I would have been raising holy hell with FICA over the motivated comment . You should have told him his lack of motivation is actually motivating you to come down and pound his butt from one end of the dealership to the other ! How dealers like that stay in business is beyond me .

Users who are viewing this thread