Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Big Booty Dually Adventure Rig Build

SFAngus

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to start a thread to document the progress on my new truck.

I'm coming from a 2018 Ecodiesel, and decided to pull the trigger on my dream truck.

I've been looking around for a few months, evr since I saw the used truck prices on the Ecodiesels, and realized that it would be a good time to sell my truck.

My primary reason for upgrading initially was to get the MegaCab. I have three young girls (8, 5, and 2) that I take on a lot of trips, so I wanted the extra cab room.

I also liked the idea of upgrading to a Cummins, having already driven the baby diesel.

A lot of our trips involve towing travel trailers. We currently rent them, as we don't own one yet, but I'm hoping to change that soon.

The Ecodiesel has been surprisingly good at towing, but it still gets a little overwhelmed sometimes with some of the bigger trailers, so I figured the HD truck will be even better.

I was initially looking at the 2500's, but I liked the idea of getting the high output Cummins with the Aisin, so I figured I might as well go with the 3500... and if I'm getting a 3500, I might as well get a dually, right? I can't honestly say that I have a need for the Dually, but I've always wanted one since I was a kid, so I figured why not, right?

After going through the build process online I decided that I wanted a very specific combination of features, which proved to be rather hard to find at dealerships.

I wanted a two tone with brown leather, with just about every single option, including the air suspension and upfitter switches.

This proved to be an exceedingly difficult truck to find, but I stumbled across one on cars.com, located at Rockwall Dodge in Texas.

Here's the specs on the truck:

2021 Ram 3500
Longhorn Limited
Diamond Black with two-tone RV match brown paint
Cattle Tan leather seats
Cummins HO
Dual Rear Wheels
Air suspension
Towing technology group
Safety group
Protection group
5th wheel prep (this is the only option it has that I would have passed on, as I have no plans to ever tow a 5th wheel)
Longhorn Level 1 group
4.10 axle ratio
Sunroof
Auxiliary switches
Dual alternators (440 amps)

I contacted the dealership, bought it online, and it's currently being shipped to me in California right now.

I'm planning on installing an RSI smart cap as soon as it arrives, so that we'll be ready for our next camping trip in April.

I look forward to updating you all here with my progress as I build up the truck the way that I want it.

I hope you all enjoy, and thanks to everyone who posts on here... I've already learned a lot by reading through old threads.

-Angus

For anyone who is following, I'm adding a list here for your own shopping convenience, so that you can see the list of modifications.

Updated List of Modifications:

Interior:

-Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners (Part #'s Front: 4415451 Rear: 4415453).
-ProClip Angled Dash Mount for Ram (Part# 855441)
-ProClip Universal holder for small/medium cases (Part #711042)
-KYKR screen protector
-President Bill CB Radio
-Midland MXT275 GMRS Radio bundle from Northridge 4x4 (Part #MLRMXT275VP4)

Exterior:
-WeatherTech Mudflaps (Front and rear, Part Number: 110109-120116)
-Aluminum DEF and Fuel caps
-Truxedo Tonneau cover (sold)
-RSi Smart Cap
-Bed Carpet Kit
-BedRug Bed Mat (Part #BMT02SBS)
-Paint Protection Film for front clip and dually fenders
-CeramicPro Ceramic Coating
-35% front ceramic window tint
-15% rear ceramic window tint
-Curt hitch lock (Part #23519)
-TGL solid steel hitch step
-B&W Tow and Stow receiver - 7" drop
-EGR In-Channel window visors (Part #572861)

Electrical:
-Curt replacement 7-pin wiring harness (#56601) (Amazon link HERE)
-6 way blade fuse box holder (Amazon link HERE)
-Nilight 5 gang 3 pin rocker switch (Amazon link HERE)
-Nilight 8-piece LED light string kit (Amazon link HERE)
-Dual USB Switched Power Outlet (Amazon link HERE)

Miscellaneous Accessories:
-Innofox 2-pack Magnetic LED Work Lights (Amazon link HERE)
-Noco Boost HD 2000 amp Jump Starter (Amazon link HERE)

Performance:
-Banks PedalMonster

Last edited:

kobra

Reaction score
Beautiful truck!
But just curious, why are you going to a dually if you don't plan on towing 5th wheels? I don't think there are many travel trailers that would cause issues for an SRW 3500 and you can get those with the HO/Aisin combination also. Do you have other heavy towing plans?

B

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Beautiful truck!
But just curious, why are you going to a dually if you don't plan on towing 5th wheels? I don't think there are many travel trailers that would cause issues for an SRW 3500 and you can get those with the HO/Aisin combination also. Do you have other heavy towing plans?

B
Be careful.........don’t become a “do you NEED this?” Nanny.LOL!

SFAngus

Reaction score
Beautiful truck!

B
I definitely don't need the Dually, but I've always wanted one and figured if was getting everything else, why not? I test drove one at a local dealership and liked how it felt, so no worry there.

Plus, it certainly won't hurt with keeping the travel trailers nice and planted while towing.

Mat_HD

Reaction score
That interior is just too nice. I have the same interior coming on the Longhorn that I ordered and seeing real pictures of it (not the build and price pictures) just make me even less patient.

Kudos to you getting the dually cuz you wanted it, not needed it. That's what being an adult is all about and lots of folks seem to get wrapped around the axle of "bUt YoU dIdN't NeEd It"

kobra

Reaction score
That interior is just too nice. I have the same interior coming on the Longhorn that I ordered and seeing real pictures of it (not the build and price pictures) just make me even less patient.

Kudos to you getting the dually cuz you wanted it, not needed it. That's what being an adult is all about and lots of folks seem to get wrapped around the axle of "bUt YoU dIdN't NeEd It"
Can't a guy be curious without being accused of getting "wrapped around the axle"?
I don't recall anyone buying a dually unless they needed it, so I was genuinely curious and thought that was pretty obvious the way I stated it.

And, "people in glass houses" and all... lighten up.

B

Mat_HD

Reaction score
Can't a guy be curious without being accused of getting "wrapped around the axle"?
I don't recall anyone buying a dually unless they needed it, so I was genuinely curious and thought that was pretty obvious the way I stated it.

And, "people in glass houses" and all... lighten up.

B
Let's calm down a bit here. Not sure why you thought I was being so aggressive; I was not. Nor was I specifically referring to you, I've spent a lot of time on various forums and it seems some folks like to play 20 questions to verify the "necessity" of someone's truck, be it 2500 vs 3500, or SRW vs DRW. I definitely wasn't singing you out (though I see now how I could have been more clear, and I apologize for that). Your post more than adequately conveyed that you were asking out of curiosity.

Let's take a breather before we decide to get "wrapped around the axle" ;) on what someone said and instead have a discussion.

SFAngus

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone...

A quick update on the truck's status:

1) I called today to order my RSI Smart Cap EVO. (I have an ARE MX HD on my current truck and I've been happy with it, but after reading about the RSI's and doing some youtube research, I decided to try one out). Most of the RSI buyers have stated that they received their cap in about 5-10 days. Unfortunately, I just called the local dealer and they said that the manufacturing has been delayed, and they are now shipping 3-4 months out. Bummer... but oh well, I decided to go ahead and place the order now, and wait for it.

2) I'm still waiting on a shipping date for the truck. I got a text from the salesgirl this morning who told me that the dealer management is "Waiting for the deal to get funded" before they ship the truck. I pointed out to her that had I been sitting in their dealership and signed the same finance paperwork, and handed them the same cashier's check, I would have driven away that day. It seems a bit unreasonable for them to be holding the truck at this point. (They received the cashier's check and signed purchase agreement last Thursday... it's now Monday). I have purchased many vehicles, and I have never heard of this. (The dealer is in Texas, and I'm in California, but I don't see how that would make a difference).

So, I'm trying to be patient, but I told the salesgirl that if the dealer is going to continue to hold my truck, a manager needs to call me... I'll keep you all updated.

Mat_HD

Reaction score
2) I'm still waiting on a shipping date for the truck. I got a text from the salesgirl this morning who told me that the dealer management is "Waiting for the deal to get funded" before they ship the truck. I pointed out to her that had I been sitting in their dealership and signed the same finance paperwork, and handed them the same cashier's check, I would have driven away that day. It seems a bit unreasonable for them to be holding the truck at this point. (They received the cashier's check and signed purchase agreement last Thursday... it's now Monday). I have purchased many vehicles, and I have never heard of this. (The dealer is in Texas, and I'm in California, but I don't see how that would make a difference).

So, I'm trying to be patient, but I told the salesgirl that if the dealer is going to continue to hold my truck, a manager needs to call me... I'll keep you all updated.
That's real weird. So it's already paid for and they're just sitting on it? Was there any talk of transportation or shipping in the sales negotiations?

SFAngus

Reaction score
That's real weird. So it's already paid for and they're just sitting on it? Was there any talk of transportation or shipping in the sales negotiations?
Yes, they initially quoted $2,000 for shipping to CA, and then eventually settled on $1,500 to seal the deal.

SFAngus

Reaction score
Wow, that's very strange indeed. I can't imagine they'd sit on it for any good reason once everything is paid.
Yeah, I agree... I understand that the loan may not have funded, but that's always the case when a truck drives off the lot. I don't see how shipping it makes any difference. If anything, they should feel better about the fact that no one is driving it for a week, because it'll be on the back of a truck.

I'm giving them until the end of the day before I call and ask them to explain their decision.

Users who are viewing this thread