Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Big Booty Dually Adventure Rig Build

SFAngus

Reaction score
Before I sold my last truck, I kept the hitch step. I had checked recently online, and couldn't find it for sale.

It's made by TGL, it's solid steel, powder coated, and it's HEAVY. I love it... much better than those flimsy feeling plastic hitch steps.

TGL doesn't seem to sell it on Amazon anymore, but here is another brand that looks identical:

Amazon Link here

It's a 2" shaft, so I got my helper to assist me with installing the factory hitch reducer.

20210323_143356.jpg

20210323_143435.jpg

This will stay on the back of the truck while I'm not towing.

20210323_144616.jpg

I'm also considering getting the mopar step as well to have another option for accessing the bed.

My pro clip mounts also arrived, but I haven't had a chance to get them set up yet.

20210324_130847.jpg

CdnHO

Reaction score
Before I sold my last truck, I kept the hitch step. I had checked recently online, and couldn't find it for sale.

It's made by TGL, it's solid steel, powder coated, and it's HEAVY. I love it... much better than those flimsy feeling plastic hitch steps.

TGL doesn't seem to sell it on Amazon anymore, but here is another brand that looks identical:

Amazon Link here

It's a 2" shaft, so I got my helper to assist me with installing the factory hitch reducer.

View attachment 13787

View attachment 13788

This will stay on the back of the truck while I'm not towing.

View attachment 13790

I'm also considering getting the mopar step as well to have another option for accessing the bed.

My pro clip mounts also arrived, but I haven't had a chance to get them set up yet.

View attachment 13789
I have a similar hitch step. It is a chuck of iron. Also great for keeping other bumpers out of your space. Does a real job on rice burner's front bumper. LOL Make sure you pay your helper well.

Last edited:

SFAngus

Reaction score
I got my Proclip dash mount and phone holder installed. While I like the idea of the wireless charger, I pretty much always have my phone plugged in to access Android Auto, so I wanted a better way to hold it.

Proclip always makes great products, and their dash mount for these trucks fits great.

Here's the link for the dash mount: ProClip Angled Dash Mount

Here's the link to the phone holder: ProClip Adjustable Phone Holder

I like that their phone holders don't have springs or other mechanisms to break. The phone just drops into it and stays put.

Here's some photos of just the dash mount installed:

20210325_151403.jpg

20210325_151410.jpg

This is the adjustable base of the phone holder installed, without the pivoting piece attached yet:

20210325_153010.jpg

Here is the phone holder fully installed:

20210325_153109.jpg

Side view:

20210327_013007.jpg

Top View:

20210325_154941.jpg

As you can see, the dash mount has six mounting holes, and only four are used for the phone holder. This means that you could potentially add a second mounting plate to the remaining two holes on the right side, (Potentially for a mic holder, or other device).

Last edited:

SFAngus

Reaction score
Just a quick update for today... I followed the instructions that "1fasthemi" posted in another thread for deactivating the seat belt chime, and it worked great. Very easy to do, even though the instructions don't match 100% with the keyless ignition.

No more annoying chime, but you still get the reminder in the instrument cluster if someone unbuckles.

Here's the version of the instructions that I copied:

Step 1
Sit in your car's driver seat and close the door. Make sure that all doors are closed.
Step 2
Place your Dodge Ram key in the ignition. Do not turn on the car. Buckle your seat belt.
Step 3
Turn the ignition key to the "On" position. The seat belt reminder light will turn off after a few moments.
Step 4
Buckle and unbuckle your seat belt three times within 60 seconds of turning the vehicle on. Buckle your seat belt one more time.
Turn the ignition to "Lock." The chime will sound one time to indicate that BeltAlert has been disabled.

kobra

Reaction score
Just a quick update for today... I followed the instructions that "1fasthemi" posted in another thread for deactivating the seat belt chime, and it worked great. Very easy to do, even though the instructions don't match 100% with the keyless ignition.

No more annoying chime, but you still get the reminder in the instrument cluster if someone unbuckles.

Here's the version of the instructions that I copied:

Step 1
Sit in your car's driver seat and close the door. Make sure that all doors are closed.
Step 2
Place your Dodge Ram key in the ignition. Do not turn on the car. Buckle your seat belt.
Step 3
Turn the ignition key to the "On" position. The seat belt reminder light will turn off after a few moments.
Step 4
Buckle and unbuckle your seat belt three times within 60 seconds of turning the vehicle on. Buckle your seat belt one more time.
Turn the ignition to "Lock." The chime will sound one time to indicate that BeltAlert has been disabled.
Very interesting.
Is there a way to do this with the push button models? (Laramie, Longhorn, Limited, etc)

Thanks,
B

SFAngus

Reaction score
Very interesting.
Is there a way to do this with the push button models? (Laramie, Longhorn, Limited, etc)

Thanks,
B
Yup! My truck has the pushbutton start and it worked just fine on the first try. (That's why I bothered re-posting it here, with the caveat that the instructions don't match 100%).

SFAngus

Reaction score
I finally got around to removing the ugly dealership mudflaps. It definitely looks cleaner without them, although I think I will probably need to have something on there so that I'm not kicking up too much junk.

I want something low-profile, so I chose the WeatherTechs. The Weathertech website indicates that they are not available for the 2021 model, however when I change the model year to 2020 and keep everything else the same, (Dually, fender flares, etc.) it provides an available option. I noticed in one of the mudflap threads that other people had found they weren't available for 2021 as well.

Not sure if anyone has tried the 2020 part number on the 2021 trucks, but I decided to go ahead and order them, and see if they fit. I can't imagine that anything changed from 2020 to 2021, but I will report back and let you all know once they arrive.

Here's the truck with one on and one off:

20210325_162715.jpg

As it's sitting right now:

20210325_165017.jpg

My two younger helpers got to assist me this time:

20210325_164925.jpg

Last edited:

KGBoettcher

Reaction score
I dont have my truck yet but have a stack of goodies waiting to be installed.
You need a set of these on that rig. Got them from Truckhardware.com they are not cheep but probabaly the best flaps out there. I have them on the current Longhorn also(just not with the Longhorn Logo.

1617161589342.png

CdnHO

Reaction score
I finally got around to removing the ugly dealership mudflaps. It definitely looks cleaner without them, although I think I will probably need to have something on there so that I'm not kicking up too much junk.

I want something low-profile, so I chose the WeatherTechs. The Weathertech website indicates that they are not available for the 2021 model, however when I change the model year to 2020 and keep everything else the same, (Dually, fender flares, etc.) it provides an available option. I noticed in one of the mudflap threads that other people had found they weren't available for 2021 as well.

Not sure if anyone has tried the 2020 part number on the 2021 trucks, but I decided to go ahead and order them, and see if they fit. I can't imagine that anything changed from 2020 to 2021, but I will report back and let you all know once they arrive.

Here's the truck with one on and one off:

View attachment 14135

As it's sitting right now:

View attachment 14136

My two younger helpers got to assist me this time:

View attachment 14137
Nice to see young ladies with a wrench. LOL

SFAngus

Reaction score
We visited the Point Reyes National Seashore this week, so I took the opportunity to get a few photos of the truck's first trip off pavement. :cool: (I know, I know... it doesn't really count).

20210401_033023.jpg

index.php

20210401_033145.jpg

20210330_175007.jpg

20210401_040410.jpg

More updates coming soon, and our first towing trip is coming next week... stay tuned!

Attachments

• 20210401_033057.jpg
    20210401_033057.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 270

CdnHO

Reaction score
We visited the Point Reyes National Seashore this week, so I took the opportunity to get a few photos of the truck's first trip off pavement. :cool: (I know, I know... it doesn't really count).

View attachment 14221

index.php

View attachment 14223

View attachment 14224

View attachment 14225

More updates coming soon, and our first towing trip is coming next week... stay tuned!
Nice photographs. Love the shot with the girls. My wife and I have a photography hobby. Spent enough on equipment to buy a new truck. LOL My truck is amost here. It is in Detroit and will soon be shipped to Canada. Should see it next week. Can't wait.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I hope everyone's having a nice Easter! My girls are currently eating their body weight in chocolate.

Meanwhile, here's a sneak peak of a few more items getting installed soon:

20210403_160126.jpg

20210404_105411.jpg20210404_130137.jpg

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have a complete set of WeatherTech mud flaps ready for my truck as well. Hope to see it this week. What is in the Banks package?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Pedal Monster.
Be interesting to see your opinion of the Pedal Monster once you get a chance to drive it for a while. Are you dissatisfied with the accelerator response as it came from the factory?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Great threat, good info, congrats on the truck!

I ordered the same config (Megacab dually) with air ride, although in a Laramie night edition.

Im curious your thoughts on how the truck rides with the air?

Also, can you get a few shots of the leaf spring pack front and back? I know it's different than the non-air trucks, but i wanted to get a visual.

Cseybert

Reaction score
Great threat, good info, congrats on the truck!

I ordered the same config (Megacab dually) with air ride, although in a Laramie night edition.

Im curious your thoughts on how the truck rides with the air?

Also, can you get a few shots of the leaf spring pack front and back? I know it's different than the non-air trucks, but i wanted to get a visual.
3500 only has leaf springs in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread