Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

eludvigs

Reaction score
Thanks man! Yes they are for sure Mopar ... PSSM is in place and wired up. The options sheet from AEV clearly state Mopar and I have installed AMP boards several times so understand the setup on those.

Will trace the connections to ensure they are all solid. Guess I need to start pulling some dash pieces. Hard to get to the PSSM from the side dash panel.
CAN has a ton of connections on it ... should be fun to dig out which one is the PSSM connection ha.
Im waiting on the security bypass connector for the alphaOBD setup ... should be here soon.
Current Situation:
  • AEV installed the Mopar boards to my Big Horn when it was upfitted to the Prospector XL
  • I replaced the PSSM with a new one ... same issues
  • I used Alpha to get the options onto the screen ... same issues, but I do see the option to deploy/retract boards and now it tells me when the Running boards are offline. "Running Boards unavailable, get them serviced" or something like that
  • The hot wire is on its own line to the battery with an aftermarket 30A inline.
  • When the boards are active I can hear the relays on the PSSM click to open/close
  • When the boards are inactive (computer doesnt see them or something) the PSSM relays do not click, BUT there is power going to the PSSM.
I'm assuming this is a wiring or software issue since I do not hear the boards get locked up causing a mechanical stop to the system
I havent been able to inspect the entire harness, but I assume I will have to
Could it really be a case that if the CAN wires arent twisted I have some sort of interference? I plugged the CAN connected into several different spots and the same results occurred.
Could it be the power wire not going to the right connection on the fuse block? Weird.

eludvigs

Reaction score
Update:

Pulled out the wiring harness from PSSM to CAN. CAN wires were not twisted.

Twisted the CAN wires
Cleaned up the ground (was in the engine bay)
Cleaned up the hot connection (connected to hot terminal on side of fuse box)

Since I did this I have had no issues over the past several weeks. So either the CAN stuff was getting interference or my ground/hot connections weren't stable.

FLARam

Reaction score
So I’m trying to add power deployable running boards by MOPAR for my 2023 Laramie 2500. Remember RAM doesn’t offer that as an option. My dealer said they can’t even order them for 2023 2500… RAM doesn’t even offer. Is that right? Are there any other options?

jsalbre

Reaction score
So I’m trying to add power deployable running boards by MOPAR for my 2023 Laramie 2500. Remember RAM doesn’t offer that as an option. My dealer said they can’t even order them for 2023 2500… RAM doesn’t even offer. Is that right? Are there any other options?
They’re the same for a 2023, my Rebel came with them so they’re definitely available. I’d say just give them the part number.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
How do I find the part number?
They’re the same as posted previously in the thread:
Crew cab right- 68361654AA
Crew cab left- 68361655AA
Mega cab right- 68361656AA
Mega cab left- 68361657AA
But, it looks like the whole units are discontinued, and you can only buy all the individual parts. You’d have to call around and ask about that.

ssrgeoff

Reaction score
Is there a difference going with the Mopar version over the Amp? I do like where the boards tuck with the Factory Mopar, not sure if Amp is the same.

Jason1622

Reaction score
Just got factory boards on and working but have an issue with a trim piece on truck. Are the boards supposed to hit this? It's on the bed of truck I front of rear wheel. It's hitting pretty good to point you can hear it touch on close.

Attachments

• 20230223_145048.jpg
    20230223_145048.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 73

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Just got factory boards on and working but have an issue with a trim piece on truck. Are the boards supposed to hit this? It's on the bed of truck I front of rear wheel. It's hitting pretty good to point you can hear it touch on close.
Looks like you put mega cab running boards on a crew cab.

areuriding

Reaction score
All my amp steps are hard wired. I don’t like the plug and play either. Hard wired is the only way to go. I’m wishing they’d start making the amp XL for Power Wagons. I have a 2023 coming someday. Ordered in OCT 2022 and they’ll be getting amp steps installed right away.
I am looking specifically for the OEM Mopar parts, since I want it to be all 'factory' with the wiring and all. I am not a fan of the AMP boards using the OBDII port.... anyone?
steps

phatboy64

Reaction score
Question for all those with deployable boards that live in cold weather areas. any issues with them getting frozen closed, especially after a snow storm? I line in New England and have a 23 Limited on the way...probably should have thought about this earlier..

jsalbre

Reaction score
Question for all those with deployable boards that live in cold weather areas. any issues with them getting frozen closed, especially after a snow storm? I line in New England and have a 23 Limited on the way...probably should have thought about this earlier..
My ‘20 Limited had the power deployable boards and I drove it through 9 hours of an ice storm so bad I had to stop several times to chip ice if the windshield and headlights. The steps never failed to open.

We made it to a campground and the next morning there was 1/4” of ice coating everything. The steps popped right open.

Splzhaul

Reaction score
I live up in the northeast and have no problems as well. I do flush the hinges when washing the truck just to make sure the road Salt and sand don’t stay in there.

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
During the worst of our winter, one time we were having minus double digit nights then some thaw during the day and mine only partially worked but using my foot to "assist" the up and down and it broke the ice loose and was fine. That was about worst case scenario and no real problem since. I have AMP's.

Dave01

Reaction score
I live in central NH, am out in every storm including today. No issues with them deploying or stowing. I think the mechanism is seriously rugged, as you might hope for. Like Splzhaul mentioned above I try to wash them pretty regularly to keep sand out of the mechanism.

uplander

Reaction score
Good morning-

I have been asked by a few different people to outline what I used and the steps I followed to install the power running board / side steps on my 2023 Power Wagon. All this information is in this thread, I am just consolidating what others did before me. I am very thankful for their trailblazing.

Some know that I am a fixed ops manager at one of the largest parts dealerships in the country. If you were to call our store our employees would likely tell you this cannot be done. The first reason being they do not have experience with testing it or installing it. With no experience they would not want to give a customer the wrong information. The second being there is no documentation through Ram and there is no accessory kit available for a 2500, 3rd being who do they turn to if something does not work but they have asked you to spend a couple thousand dollars?

As the vehicle owner there is a risk we take when we complete projects like this. Having said that, the risk is greatly reduced through forums such as this when prior experience is shared.

My experience:
MY Truck: 2023 Ram Power Wagon Level 2

I followed the prior posts in this thread and the result is working steps on a 2023 Ram Power Wagon. I did not need to modify any structures or relocate anything on the truck. The installation was as easy of a project that I have completed. It was much easier than the installing the center console phone charging pad offered from Mopar (82215150AG – another part your dealer will tell you isn’t available for a 2023).

Parts used on 2023 2500 W/ 6’4” **different boards are needed for a Mega Cab**
68461640AB – QTY 1 Right front hinge bracket and motor assembly
68461641AB – QTY 1 Left front hinge bracket and motor assembly
68461638AA – QTY 1 Right rear hinge bracket
68461639AA – QTY 1 Left rear hinge bracket
68461637AA – QTY 2 Crew Cab aluminum board includes end caps (right and left are the same)
68461642AA – QTY2 Torque rod (connects front step motor/brkt to rear steps bracket)
6511062AA – QTY 8 Rivnuts Rocker Panel (2 used per bracket no drilling required the holes are already in the body)
6102165AA – QTY 8 Bolts m8x1.25x30 (2 per bracket through bracket into rivnut)
6507610AA – QTY 8 Bolts m6x1.00x30.00 (2 per hinge bracket the holes are already present in the pinch weld)
68367399AF – QTY 1 Power running board module
68422689AB – QTY 1 Power running board harness (from a Ram 1500 accessory kit)
Grey Connector – QTY 1 Must Source see pictures. 1679241497169.png

You can use the installation instructions from the ram 1500 accessory kit to help guide you. The 2500 is very similar to the 2500. The only difference from the instruction for a 1500 and the 2500 is where you mount the control module. Because the 1500 mounts on the driver side and the 2500 is normally on the passenger. When following the wiring instructions, you will see plenty of room on the driver’s side to mount the module. For my installation, I trimmed off the mounting tabs (plastic) from the module which allowed it to slip in by the parking brake assembly. Also please note that the instruction will say you need to remove the wheel liners to install the harness. That is not necessary, you can feed the wires down without doing that.

Notes:
  • The can bus connector- As noted in the thread, the can bus connector is slightly different and needs to be trimmed. 1679241472046.png
  • The instructions will show you that there are studs that mount the motor/bracket. The 2500 used wellnuts and bolts, not studs. It is really easy to see which holes to use if you hang the motor/bracket in place.
  • The power running board module will wake up automatically there is no programming needed.
  • If you want to add the power sidestep button in your radio, you will need an Alfo OBD. The dealer will not be able to do this because it is not an option listed in our vehicle options update. I have successfully added the power steps into the vehicle configuration on my 2023 using Alfa OBD and the three options updates. Reference page 4 of this thread.
  • the 2023 parts catalogue has some incorrect information. DO NOT rely on those part numbers as of 3.19.23. take a look at the 2022 catalogue as it is accurate.
Results: I have working Power Running boards on my 2023 Power Wagon with no issues at all.

Attachments

• K6862772AB.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
This is great - thank you. @AnthonyRI , is this something you all can do?
Great question - I will check in with our team. It may be something that they're still not keen on doing if it is not specifically listed as availbale/compatible even though it may have been "proven" (as much as one could ask for) above. I'll let you all know what I find out! I can say one thing for sure, is that I personally would not be mechanically inclined enough to do it - but that's stories for another day.

Users who are viewing this thread