Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

Rgory

Reaction score
The power running boards should be simple enough. 8 bolts per side. 4 up high that go into the rivnuts. And 4 down low that go through the pinch weld. The steps will need to be out in order to access the pinch weld bolts.

tla90

Reaction score
I called my dealer today and the parts guy said Mopar, aka Amp were on backorder until Nov 1
I ordered the Amps yesterday. Didn't feel like messing with putting the factory ones in. Was told it'll be a week to my door

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The power running boards should be simple enough. 8 bolts per side. 4 up high that go into the rivnuts. And 4 down low that go through the pinch weld. The steps will need to be out in order to access the pinch weld bolts.
Were you referring to my post, I hope so....are you saying that the boards can just be unbolted and removed?
What about all the electrical connections, can they just be disconnected and left as is? If somebody were to want these, what needs to be removed for them to have working units?

Heading to Youtube to watch install videos, maybe removal vid if lucky. Will Email Amp and maybe get some info.
Anybody who might want these, they should be available in a couple months...Las Vegas. Pick up some boards and leave some money behind -))

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Were you referring to my post, I hope so....are you saying that the boards can just be unbolted and removed?
What about all the electrical connections, can they just be disconnected and left as is? If somebody were to want these, what needs to be removed for them to have working units?

Heading to Youtube to watch install videos, maybe removal vid if lucky. Will Email Amp and maybe get some info.
Anybody who might want these, they should be available in a couple months...Las Vegas. Pick up some boards and leave some money behind -))
Do you have Amps or are they the factory power steps? If they are the Amps you can look at their instruction sheet online and pull the electrical components in reverse order. There is a module under the hood with wires running to the steps and through the firewall so you can hook into the OBDII.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Do you have Amps or are they the factory power steps? If they are the Amps you can look at their instruction sheet online and pull the electrical components in reverse order. There is a module under the hood with wires running to the steps and through the firewall so you can hook into the OBDII.

Yep..Amps.
I think I will just remove the boards and zip the wires up onto the chassis harness, let the lights illuminate the White Knuckles that are going on.
Thanks!

Cpsram21

Reaction score
Yep..Amps.
I think I will just remove the boards and zip the wires up onto the chassis harness, let the lights illuminate the White Knuckles that are going on.
Thanks!
The harness is actually really easy to remove on the amp steps , I installed and removed them on our eco diesel and it's basically cutting zip ties and pulling the harness out except The one going through the firewall you have to unplug it from your OBD2 port and snip the wires to get it through the firewall . The problem with leaving them in the truck is the moisture will corrode all the connections and make the harness worthless in a matter of months. So if you plan on selling the boards you will want to remove the harness or they will be worthless to someone else without buying the expensive harness from amp. Just my opinion . Good luck on the removal .

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The harness is actually really easy to remove on the amp steps , I installed and removed them on our eco diesel and it's basically cutting zip ties and pulling the harness out except The one going through the firewall you have to unplug it from your OBD2 port and snip the wires to get it through the firewall . The problem with leaving them in the truck is the moisture will corrode all the connections and make the harness worthless in a matter of months. So if you plan on selling the boards you will want to remove the harness or they will be worthless to someone else without buying the expensive harness from amp. Just my opinion . Good luck on the removal .

...didn't notice that plug in the port, don't especially like that. I believe I will follow your advice and remove the whole set-up when the time comes.

CCTRX

Reaction score
Are they available for the 2019 Ram 2500 crew cab Laramie with Level 1? I want to go all OEM, where can I get them?
To the OP question, I called my dealer today about the same thing. I had the same dealer add them to my TRX in June since I didn’t like the only two optional running boards you can order it with. They installed them and flashed the Uconnect. $1600 all in. Problem is they aren’t available as a set yet for 2022 2500’s, so you have to order each component separately which jacks it up to $2400 just in parts. My question is, I have a 2500 limited longhorn I bought that is in transit with the level 1 package. There is no mention of running boards anywhere on the window sticker so I assumed I needed to order them. Called the dealer that did my TRX’s and when I gave them the VIN they said my 2500 DOES have them due to a MY code on the build sheet. Called the other dealer I’m buying the 2500 from and they were shocked—looked it up, and sure enough it does have running boards. I hope it does when it delivers next week. Anyone ever hear of it not being listed on the WS? My fear is there was some shortage and they started shipping them without.

Attachments

• 9CD589AA-21F5-4420-85D1-399FB53C3D7C.jpeg
    9CD589AA-21F5-4420-85D1-399FB53C3D7C.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 3C618F09-920B-4B00-A37F-36915BB07984.jpeg
    3C618F09-920B-4B00-A37F-36915BB07984.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 70

johanh13

Reaction score
Hello y'all! In case anyone is wondering, my running boards are working fine and I really do like them. I have about 28K miles on the rig, trouble-free so far. However, it looks like I will need tires soon...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 5.09.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 5.09.42 PM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 117

Ben2500HD

Reaction score
does anyone know if the mopar power running boards can be added to a power wagon?

GLB1950

Reaction score
Just got my truck in and I'm really pleased with the OEM running boards. This is my first power units ever.

TW720HVY

Reaction score
So, even though I don't have all the parts, I did get started on my wiring project (attached is a sneak peak)....View attachment 5143

I am looking to start this project, one of the many questions that I have, does the Power Side Step Module come with the C1 and C2 blank connectors?

Reading through the parts list I am not seeing anything for the C1 and C1 connectors. Am I just over looking it?

Rgory

Reaction score
I am looking to start this project, one of the many questions that I have, does the Power Side Step Module come with the C1 and C2 blank connectors?

Reading through the parts list I am not seeing anything for the C1 and C1 connectors. Am I just over looking it?
The connectors do not come with the module. You get it be of the connectors with the 1500 wiring harness but you still have to source the second.

TW720HVY

Reaction score
The connectors do not come with the module. You get it be of the connectors with the 1500 wiring harness but you still have to source the second.

Thank you Rgory for the reply and information.

I am really wanting to do what the OP did, but there's some items/area I still have a lot of questions. I sent the OP and Jimmy a PM, so hopefully they'll get back to me.

And to throw a wrench into the works, SMD just got back to me with an email saying about half the Yazaki connectors are out of stock.

The 1500 wiring harness might be the way to go, but I am not going to give up just yet. Fingers crossed someone who already did this build will have some spare connectors and parts they'd like to sell me.

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Just went to the local dealership to check on the running board availability, the part apparently isn't available for the 2022 3500 HD?

danediz

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new 2500 laramie. No power steps. I want to get the OEM power steps. Will the dealer really have to remove my dash to get these working properly? Thanks!

UglyViking

Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't spend the additional cost and headache for the OEM steps. The AMP steps have proven to be as reliable a platform as any OEM and are not only cheaper to add after but deploy and retract faster.

Users who are viewing this thread