Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I agree about the Uconnect control. I would love to have the ability to control the steps without adding another switch like you do with the Amps. The biggest draw back is the OBD connection with the Amps. I much prefer the look of the Amps though. Amps are much more hidden when retracted. Somebody move on that deal for those factory takeoffs.

View attachment 15808

Wow. That is a big consideration. I didnt realize how much better the Amps are hidden.

Hmmmm.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
Wow. That is a big consideration. I didnt realize how much better the Amps are hidden.

Hmmmm.
They might be slightly more hidden but I had amp on our 2018 1500 ecodiesel and they fit horrible ! I had to grind off some of the pinch weld to even get them to clear and not get stuck . My 21 3500 has the oem ones and if anything I like them better because they don't go as far up are quieter and fit perfect.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
They might be slightly more hidden but I had amp on our 2018 1500 ecodiesel and they fit horrible ! I had to grind off some of the pinch weld to even get them to clear and not get stuck . My 21 3500 has the oem ones and if anything I like them better because they don't go as far up are quieter and fit perfect.
I was able to stand on mine and bounce slightly. That allowed them to easily clear.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
I was able to stand on mine and bounce slightly. That allowed them to easily clear.
Yes we tried that after talking with amp 3 times. We loosened all the bolts and had 3 people stand on the step and bounce. After many attempt's and amp saying it wasn't there steps fault I read lots of other people having the same problem I trimmed about 1/8 to 3/16 " off all areas of the pinch weld that rubbed and then repainted with touch up paint so it wouldn't rust. In the end it was just a lot of work for me when amp could have just changed the brackets slightly and made them fit all trucks, there was no need for that right of fit on a vehicle that is mass manufactured with obviously some variation it body panel stamping. The oem ones go a slightly different angle but tuck up plenty tight for me with no binding what so ever.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
H
Yes we tried that after talking with amp 3 times. We loosened all the bolts and had 3 people stand on the step and bounce. After many attempt's and amp saying it wasn't there steps fault I read lots of other people having the same problem I trimmed about 1/8 to 3/16 " off all areas of the pinch weld that rubbed and then repainted with touch up paint so it wouldn't rust. In the end it was just a lot of work for me when amp could have just changed the brackets slightly and made them fit all trucks, there was no need for that right of fit on a vehicle that is mass manufactured with obviously some variation it body panel stamping. The oem ones go a slightly different angle but tuck up plenty tight for me with no binding what so ever. Here is what the oem steps look like up and down. IMG_20210506_144731.jpgIMG_20210506_144654.jpg

Mat_HD

Reaction score
After a week with the OEM steps, I think they're awesome. I had actually assumed that they'd feel flimsier than they do, but they feel rock solid just like i'd expect a fixed step to feel.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 any idea if the OEM boards for the mega cab are the same part number as the crew cab?

Cpsram21

Reaction score
After a week with the OEM steps, I think they're awesome. I had actually assumed that they'd feel flimsier than they do, but they feel rock solid just like i'd expect a fixed step to feel.
I agree , i think they are more solid then my amp steps were on our 1500 eco diesel. Just feel super solid even with 2 people on them at once.

Reaction score
I apologize for the trouble, @tozz43. If you decide to address this with your Ram dealer, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message for further support through that process!

Mark
RamCares
Hello all,

New to the sight and wanting the same as everybody else...an OEM plug-n-play power running board 'kit' for my New 2021 ram 2500 Bighorn crew cab 4x4, ordered heavily optioned, including the Level B Equipment Group & Tech Package (includes the Uconnect 12" display). I see a LOT of 'heavy lifting' has been done by site members to 'get some round pegs to fit in oval holes' and make things work. You guys put in the effort!
I know on the two Toyotas I've owned, I could go to the dealer & pick up any item optioned for that model... didn't matter if it was an SR5, Limited, etc. and add it to the vehicle because the mount holes, wiring, etc. were already in place.
I can see the holes in the cab on my new pickup to mount the boards...the firewall plug to run wires thru...
My question is to Mark from RamCares:
With all the interest on this thread alone (there are similar threads on other Ram based sites) is RAM doing anything to make a plug-n-play 'kit' available? Seems like a bunch of revenue being missed.
Cheers!

Razzman

Reaction score
Yes we tried that after talking with amp 3 times. We loosened all the bolts and had 3 people stand on the step and bounce. After many attempt's and amp saying it wasn't there steps fault I read lots of other people having the same problem I trimmed about 1/8 to 3/16 " off all areas of the pinch weld that rubbed and then repainted with touch up paint so it wouldn't rust. In the end it was just a lot of work for me when amp could have just changed the brackets slightly and made them fit all trucks, there was no need for that right of fit on a vehicle that is mass manufactured with obviously some variation it body panel stamping. The oem ones go a slightly different angle but tuck up plenty tight for me with no binding what so ever.
And I had to do the exact same thing on '17 1500. I'm perfectly happy with the mopar ones, even if they do show a bit more.

Obrracing

Reaction score
I’m actually having a problem with my driver side running board getting stuck either open or not deploying due to some “obstruction“ that isn’t there. I have tried resetting it in the U connect, but it’s still happening and the truck is spotless. Anyone else having this problem? I almost broke myself getting out the other day and it wasn’t there, amazing when you anticipate something being there and it’s not! LoL!

Skuppy069

Reaction score
My passenger side binds every once in awhile .
I actually amp clamped the motor between sides and the passenger side defiantly seems to be pulling way more current than the drivers side .
I crawled under the truck and loosened all bolts and then tightened them back up .
It helped but a couple days later had the same problem .
I can actually see it moving in a not so smooth motion .
Got to see if my idle is bent or something .

E-Dawg

Reaction score
I realize this is old, but I just wanted clarification on one thing.

OP found that there is a factory installed PSSM module, but it does not come with connectors for the wiring harness, so he still had to purchase the module (part # 68367399ae).

Is that correct?

Jimbilly

Reaction score
Hey guys, bringing up an old thread, I wanted the RBP stealth ones but they are sold out everywhere and new ones aren’t coming until January for some reason. So I went to order MOPAR boards and they are discontinued for the crew cab. Any ideas if there is a new part number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rgory

Reaction score
I recently picked up my 21 75th Anniversary Power Wagon. I am going to swap the rock rails for power steps. I am torn between the AMP and the factory steps. I have read this thread and searched several times but I would like to confirm these are the factory part numbers of what I would need:
68361654aa power running board, right
68361655aa power running board, left
68367399ae Power step module
8 6511062AA - NUT / RIVET
8 6507610AA - BOLT - HEX HEAD
8 6102165AA - SCREW
68422689AB harness.
Grey connector?

Also, does anyone have any photos of the factory steps retracted? The power wagon has a plastic piece on the pinch weld before and behind the factory rock rails and I would like to determine how the steps will interact with that.

Rgory

Reaction score
With the help of everyone on this forum I was able to install a set of factory side steps. I used the harness from the kit and found the module and steps used at a wrecking yard. I am very happy with the fit and finish and the level the steps are at. Once they were plugged in they started working and are great.

lighthawk

Reaction score
I called my dealer today and the parts guy said Mopar, aka Amp were on backorder until Nov 1

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I called my dealer today and the parts guy said Mopar, aka Amp were on backorder until Nov 1
The Amps and the Mopar steps are not the same. The Mopars have a better electrical interface to the truck, as you would expect. However, the Amps tuck up farther and seem to have a better track record so far.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Good lord, ordered the White Knuckle steps for my 2019 PW. Hope removing the power boards isn't rocket science.
Is it?

Users who are viewing this thread