Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

tozz43

Reaction score
This is certainly not the update I was hoping to hear from you. If you would be interested in calling in to our customer care team, they can escalate a case like I am able to do here, but they are also able to assist with getting an appointment scheduled if you would like to receive support with finding a different local dealer who can get you in sooner. The number to call for that is 866-726-4636.

Our team here is always a PM away for further support.

Mark
RamCares

tozz43

Reaction score
So I have gotten no where with the dealer. They want me to leave my truck at the dealership for a minimum of a week to diagnose the deployable running board issue. then Id have to leave it there even longer of they were to order parts and make the repair. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to do that. In all fairness they did offer me a rental as long as I paid for it. So I went to my local auto parts store and bought dielectric grease and electric cleaner. If you look at the placement of the running board motor you'll notice its right behind the front wheel so any water snow ect. that the tire picks up it throws it all over the running board motor. If you look at the electric male and female plug you'll notice theirs no rubber boot, protective sleeve or anything. So all that being said I washed it off, cleaned it with electrical cleaner, then applied dielectric grease, finally wrapped the plugs with electrical tape and as of now both running boards work as they should. I've also added mud flaps both front and back to keep the direct hit of moisture, water, snow ect. off of the deployable running board motor.

Attachments

• dielectric grease.jpg
    dielectric grease.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 22
  • electronic cleaner.jpg
    electronic cleaner.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 21

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
This seems to be a theme with dealers: make an appointment to drop off the truck, and then they take a look at it some time later. For me, it wasn't nearly as bad as for you. I got an appointment to bring the truck in to get the mud flaps (part of the deal) installed. I figured that I would just wait, since it shouldn't have taken more than 30 min to do the job. Two hours later, my truck was still parked where I left it. I asked the manager, who told me that the appointment was just for when to drop off the truck, NOT for when they would start the work! What's the point of an appointment? Anyway, 4 hours after bringing them the truck, the job was done. At least it wasn't a week! But good to hear that you were able to solve the problem on your own. And I'll be sure to keep an eye on the running board motors, even with mud flaps.

tozz43

Reaction score
As you can see in the pic of the deployable running board motor the male and female plugs are to the right of the motor in line with the front tire. So any moisture that the tire picks up it will through it directly onto the plug, and motor.
The mud flap offers decent protection. Ad electrical tape and I think that's as good as it gets.

Attachments

• deployable running board motor.jpg
    deployable running board motor.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 174
  • mudflap.jpg
    mudflap.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 164
  • white lightning.jpg
    white lightning.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 161

tozz43

Reaction score
This seems to be a theme with dealers: make an appointment to drop off the truck, and then they take a look at it some time later. For me, it wasn't nearly as bad as for you. I got an appointment to bring the truck in to get the mud flaps (part of the deal) installed. I figured that I would just wait, since it shouldn't have taken more than 30 min to do the job. Two hours later, my truck was still parked where I left it. I asked the manager, who told me that the appointment was just for when to drop off the truck, NOT for when they would start the work! What's the point of an appointment? Anyway, 4 hours after bringing them the truck, the job was done. At least it wasn't a week! But good to hear that you were able to solve the problem on your own. And I'll be sure to keep an eye on the running board motors, even with mud flaps.
Yes id doesn't hurt to take every precaution either.

Trooper

Reaction score
Not that you should need to do yourself but did you look at what I had suggested?

hcooperrn

Reaction score
Bad post, sorry, thought I had started a new thread. I'm having the same issue, not deploying on the passenger side. I'll follow along and try the dealer.

Last edited:

SteelersFan

Reaction score
what brand of splash/ mud guards do you have? Would you post a pic from the other side? They look good.

As you can see in the pic of the deployable running board motor the male and female plugs are to the right of the motor in line with the front tire. So any moisture that the tire picks up it will through it directly onto the plug, and motor.
The mud flap offers decent protection. Ad electrical tape and I think that's as good as it gets.

kl2

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a 2500 Limited Mega Cab in the next month. The vast majority of Limited models come with Power Steps. However, the particular 2500 I'm looking at purchasing is unfortunately optioned with fixed running boards. I intend to add the Power Steps. Because it is a Limited, what is the probability that it is equipped with the left and right wire harnesses that include the Power step connectors?

heyguy

Reaction score
This post is in reference to the deployable running boards. Ok so I went to my local ram dealership at 10:30 am today. I was told to leave my truck there all week and it might be seen Thursday or Friday. I asked why, I was told they have 50 other vehicles on site that have to been repaired first. I asked why would you have me drive across town for an appointment knowing your not even going to look at my truck all week. I was told its their policy. So I brought the truck home. It saddens me that I spent 75000 on a new truck that I cant even get it looked at.
Anyone have any advice on what I should do next?
I had the same issue on the passenger side and took it to the dealer. Of course I couldn't reproduce the issue when i was there and they said it may have to fail completely before it could be repaired. I didn't really like that answer. I went home and figured it couldn't hurt to pull the fuse in hopes of re-setting the motors somehow. Yanked it out for a few minutes and replaced it. I haven't had an issue since. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Give it a shot!

mtnscott

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a 2500 Limited Mega Cab in the next month. The vast majority of Limited models come with Power Steps. However, the particular 2500 I'm looking at purchasing is unfortunately optioned with fixed running boards. I intend to add the Power Steps. Because it is a Limited, what is the probability that it is equipped with the left and right wire harnesses that include the Power step connectors?
I purchased a Limited Crew Cap and the wiring harness was not installed. I had to purchase the harness from the 1500 kit and extend the wires to make it reach the passenger side of the cab to connect with the power side steps controller module. You will have to remove sections of the dash in order to run the wires across from the drivers side where you can bring in the wires thru the firewall and run them across behind the radio and glove box to connect with the control module.

mtnscott

Reaction score
I had the same issue on the passenger side and took it to the dealer. Of course I couldn't reproduce the issue when i was there and they said it may have to fail completely before it could be repaired. I didn't really like that answer. I went home and figured it couldn't hurt to pull the fuse in hopes of re-setting the motors somehow. Yanked it out for a few minutes and replaced it. I haven't had an issue since. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Give it a shot!
These running boards are pressure sensitive to obstructions when they deploy and retract. In my experience if the hinges get dirty they may mistake the drag due to the dirt as an obstruction and reverse when retracting or deploying. I have found that if they have trouble retracting you can use your leg next to the running board after it starts to retract to get it to fully retract. What I observe is that once it attempts to retract and aborts going to a fully deployed position, just open the door and close it, then when they attempt to retract again place your leg in the path of fully deployment, when it aborts retraction, it will try and fully deploy, when it hits your leg it will abort that and complete retraction. Then go and clean the running board hinges!

heyguy

Reaction score
These running boards are pressure sensitive to obstructions when they deploy and retract. In my experience if the hinges get dirty they may mistake the drag due to the dirt as an obstruction and reverse when retracting or deploying. I have found that if they have trouble retracting you can use your leg next to the running board after it starts to retract to get it to fully retract. What I observe is that once it attempts to retract and aborts going to a fully deployed position, just open the door and close it, then when they attempt to retract again place your leg in the path of fully deployment, when it aborts retraction, it will try and fully deploy, when it hits your leg it will abort that and complete retraction. Then go and clean the running board hinges!
I had 250km on the truck when it started doing it and there wasn't a speck of dirt anywhere on the truck. It wasn't the issue in my case.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Well, both my factory deployable running boards deployed on their own while I was pulling into work this morning. First real issue with them in almost 8 months and just over 10K miles since buying truck new. I attempted to force them to stow using the onscreen display settings. They attempted and went back out. I opened and closed my doors and no change. The Stow setting doesn't attempt to move them after the first try. Hoping with it sitting off while at work it will maybe reset itself when I get ready to leave later. Anyone else experience them deploying on their own while in motion?

heyguy

Reaction score
Well, both my factory deployable running boards deployed on their own while I was pulling into work this morning. First real issue with them in almost 8 months and just over 10K miles since buying truck new. I attempted to force them to stow using the onscreen display settings. They attempted and went back out. I opened and closed my doors and no change. The Stow setting doesn't attempt to move them after the first try. Hoping with it sitting off while at work it will maybe reset itself when I get ready to leave later. Anyone else experience them deploying on their own while in motion?
Never had this issue but when new the passenger one was twitchy and would take a few attempts to deploy or retract. I pulled the fuse under the hood for a few min and it must have reset something. I've had no issues since. Give that a try.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Never had this issue but when new the passenger one was twitchy and would take a few attempts to deploy or retract. I pulled the fuse under the hood for a few min and it must have reset something. I've had no issues since. Give that a try.
I checked the fuse at lunch yesterday. Looked fine. Started truck up and tried to get them to retract. No go. When I got ready to leave to go home, started it up, put it in drive and they retracted like they are supposed to. Have been working fine ever since. Wish I knew what caused them to deploy like they did. Maybe just a fluke. These trucks can be a little glitchy at times with all their technology in them. The 2016 Limited I had before this had it's quirks.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
When I was test driving trucks before I bought mine there were two different trucks that each had one of the deployable boards off for repair. My wife and I started calling them deplorable running boards. :D One of the reasons I removed them from my list of must-haves for our search.

sdownes80

Reaction score
Ok, so my boards are installed and functional! I did catch a wiring error when I put the motor connectors on, so I had to swap two wires at the PSSM. I also still do not have the correct pin for the connection at the fuse box, so I hotwired it to confirm correct function. Much to my surprise, the boards worked right away without any programming! Obviously, to get the button on my screen, I will need to program the feature (will attempt that yet too!). Attached are a few photos... Many thanks to Jimmy07 for all his help, could not have done it without him! Let me know if you all have any questionsView attachment 5261

View attachment 5262
View attachment 5263View attachment 5264
View attachment 5265
View attachment 5266

View attachment 5267
Do you sell this kit just need the harness

Users who are viewing this thread