Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

heyguy

Reaction score
I'll have these 2 used items for sale soon if anyone is interested. Make me an offer, I'm in Southern Alberta.

68361654aa power running board, right
68361655aa power running board, left

Cseybert

Reaction score
Are they available for the 2019 Ram 2500 crew cab Laramie with Level 1? I want to go all OEM, where can I get them?
Factory power step compared to AMP looks like crap. I have amp they look totally different than factory that’s why I didn’t order the truck with the factory step. Just my opinion though.

sdownes80

Reaction score
The thing about the power steps is, there’s no factory kit for them to add later. You can’t just go to a dealer and ask them to install the steps, because they don’t build custom harnesses. The only thing they know is to replace the harnesses in the truck with the ones that have provisions for the steps. In this case, that would involve replacing the two chassis harnesses and the dash harness, which involves removing the entire dash. Now, if mopar was to release a kit to add the factory power steps, the add-on harness that they design for the kit would probably be similar to the one I suggested to build. As far as warranty for having the dealer install it- when the dealer adds the sales code to enable the feature, it shows up on your VIN build as “dealer installed option”, so only the dealership that did the install of the kit would take care of a warranty issue with it. It’s not like the factory warranty where you can take the truck to any FCA dealer for warranty work.
They do make a factory harness you can buy its 68422689ab

Attachments

• K6862772 (1).PDF
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20210205-210511_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210205-210511_Gallery.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 57

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yup, and as discussed earlier in the thread, that harness is for the 1500 DT Ram. It would have to be modified to make it work, and you won’t be able to mount the power step module in the factory location.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Yup, and as discussed earlier in the thread, that harness is for the 1500 DT Ram. It would have to be modified to make it work, and you won’t be able to mount the power step module in the factory location.

Listen to Jimmy07, he's knows what he's doing on this stuff more than anyone else.

Hez

Reaction score
Well I was all set to try and get factory power running boards on my ‘21 I am picking up this weekend, but after reading this thread I may stick with fixed boards.

does anyone know best places to find nice attractive running boards? I don’t want the look of a 2x12 hanging on the side of the truck like some of the factory ones

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I was all set to try and get factory power running boards on my ‘21 I am picking up this weekend, but after reading this thread I may stick with fixed boards.

does anyone know best places to find nice attractive running boards? I don’t want the look of a 2x12 hanging on the side of the truck like some of the factory ones

There's at least one entire thread dedicated to just running boards, probably in the exterior sub forum.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

Adding the Amp Power Steps has been my favorite mod so far. Well worth it.

mtnscott

Reaction score
Are they available for the 2019 Ram 2500 crew cab Laramie with Level 1? I want to go all OEM, where can I get them?
I'm not sure about the 2019 version but they are available for the 2020 and 2021 versions. They take a bit of effort to install and you need to take off the lower half of the dash & media console but I think it's well worth the effort.

mtnscott

Reaction score
There's at least one entire thread dedicated to just running boards, probably in the exterior sub forum.

Actually if you modify the harness by extending it you can mount the controller in the factory location. I was able to do so. Also you can't use the 1500 harness as is. It will require modification for the fuse box connection at a minimum as well as the connection into the star port

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Actually if you modify the harness by extending it you can mount the controller in the factory location. I was able to do so. Also you can't use the 1500 harness as is. It will require modification for the fuse box connection at a minimum as well as the connection into the star port
Hmmm....so, what you’re saying is, I was correct both times in this thread when I said the DT harness needed to be modified to work on the HDs

(Just giving you a hard time)

mtnscott

Reaction score
Just wanted to state that you can install the power step module in the factory location on the 2500. You just need to extend the harness.

Skuppy069

Reaction score
I'll have these 2 used items for sale soon if anyone is interested. Make me an offer, I'm in Southern Alberta.

68361654aa power running board, right
68361655aa power running board, left
I’m in southern Alberta as well .
Still have these for sale

heyguy

Reaction score
Are these new or takes off etc .
Thanks and I’m very interested in this .
Maybe I can call you etc .
My phone number is +14039211183
They're take offs. I'll give u a call.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
This is a fantastic thread. @Jimmy07 at this point, would you recommend buying the 1500 harness and modifying it for an HD truck (The truck i have coming is a 3500 Mega dually) or do you recommend fabbing up your own harness like OP did.

I like the idea of and easy install with the AMP steps, but i prefer the factory look and ability to control through the Uconnect screen.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
This is a fantastic thread. @Jimmy07 at this point, would you recommend buying the 1500 harness and modifying it for an HD truck (The truck i have coming is a 3500 Mega dually) or do you recommend fabbing up your own harness like OP did.

I like the idea of and easy install with the AMP steps, but i prefer the factory look and ability to control through the Uconnect screen.
I agree about the Uconnect control. I would love to have the ability to control the steps without adding another switch like you do with the Amps. The biggest draw back is the OBD connection with the Amps. I much prefer the look of the Amps though. Amps are much more hidden when retracted. Somebody move on that deal for those factory takeoffs.

steps hidden.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread