Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got the correct pin for the fuse box connection yesterday and put it in. Now just waiting for the bluetooth adapter so I can do the programming for the screen menu.... everything works great even as is!

Have you checked the pinch protection? I would assume that it's a current limiting circuit built in, but should be checked anyway.

That's how I keep my steps out at the car wash or home wash now instead of messing with the screen. Just step on it after closing the door and it will move ever so slightly then stop. Same with standing in front of the step when it opens, any obstruction should make it go back in.

johanh13

Reaction score
Have you checked the pinch protection? I would assume that it's a current limiting circuit built in, but should be checked anyway.

That's how I keep my steps out at the car wash or home wash now instead of messing with the screen. Just step on it after closing the door and it will move ever so slightly then stop. Same with standing in front of the step when it opens, any obstruction should make it go back in.
I just tested it now; if I step too close and open the door, it barely touches my shin bone before it reverses. If I step on it after closing the door, it stops right away and then just stays down until I open/close door again. I tried both sides multiple times, seems to be doing what it should ?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tested it now; if I step too close and open the door, it barely touches my shin bone before it reverses. If I step on it after closing the door, it stops right away and then just stays down until I open/close door again. I tried both sides multiple times, seems to be doing what it should ?

Yes, that's what my factory boards do.

johanh13

Reaction score
The only thing I am waiting for now is the activation code for alfa, how long does that normally take?

powerwagon50

Reaction score
Yes, the module is on the passenger side of the dashboard. I do not have a very good photo, but attached what I have. The red arrows show the mounting bracket hooks, the other side has a screw (hidden from view). I circled the ground lug I used to connect the black wire. The module is behind the arrows and ground lug. I drilled a 10mm hole in the raw steel and inserted a rivnut for the ground connection...
Nice. Looks great! What did you connect the module to? It connects to the steps, ground, and the instrument panel harness has a connector in the module location correct? Im going to check to see if the power wagon has the same connector for the module.

johanh13

Reaction score
Nice. Looks great! What did you connect the module to? It connects to the steps, ground, and the instrument panel harness has a connector in the module location correct? Im going to check to see if the power wagon has the same connector for the module.

My pickup did not have the connector under the dash; that is why I built a complete stand-alone harness. Basically 14 wires, 5 to each step motor, one to the fuse box under the hood, one chassis ground, and two wires to the can-bus on the driver side under the dash... :)

johanh13

Reaction score
OK, now its 100% done and functional. I got the alfa activation code and programmed the options this morning, an hour later the menu items appeared in my radio screen! I changed three settings in the BCM via the alfaOBD software...
If I try to deploy while driving (or in gear), it says steps unavailable. If deployed and I put it in gear, it retracts right away.

Attachments

• alfa 1.png
    alfa 1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 179
  • alfa 2.png
    alfa 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
  • menu 1.png
    menu 1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
  • menu 2.png
    menu 2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 175
  • steps deployed.png
    steps deployed.png
    2 MB · Views: 162
  • steps unavailable.png
    steps unavailable.png
    2 MB · Views: 160
  • safety 1.png
    safety 1.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 166
  • alfa 3.png
    alfa 3.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 169
  • steps retracted.png
    steps retracted.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
OK, now its 100% done and functional. I got the alfa activation code and programmed the options this morning, an hour later the menu items appeared in my radio screen! I changed two settings in the BCM via the alfaOBD software...
If I try to deploy while driving (or in gear), it says steps unavailable. If deployed and I put it in gear, it retracts right away.
Do you have this option under safety and driving assistance-
rlYZ1Uc.jpg

I believe there’s one more setting to enable- CustSetMenu 3 power side steps enable/disable CSM.

johanh13

Reaction score
Do you have this option under safety and driving assistance-
rlYZ1Uc.jpg

I believe there’s one more setting to enable- CustSetMenu 3 power side steps enable/disable CSM.
I think this is it, but it looks different since I only have the 8" screen?safety 1.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Threadjack warning:

I'm curious what Hill Start Assist does with an automatic trans? Does it simply apply the brakes?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Threadjack warning:

I'm curious what Hill Start Assist does with an automatic trans? Does it simply apply the brakes?
Yes, same as with a G56. It is a function of the ABS module. Zero rollback when yanking the boat out of the water. You have about 4-5 seconds before they release if no throttle is applied.

johanh13

Reaction score
Yes, same as with a G56. It is a function of the ABS module. Zero rollback when yanking the boat out of the water. You have about 4-5 seconds before they release if no throttle is applied.
Haven't tried that yet, but good to know!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Hmmm, I didn't notice when I pulled the boat out, but that may explain why the wife seemed to be having some issues the first time she did.

d5hystat

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but are the power boards the same for a mega cab vs 4 door?

mtnscott

Reaction score
Hello,
This is a wonderful thread. Sounds like @Jimmy07 , @johanh13 have been successful installing the Mopar Power Running boards on their 2019 2500's. I just picked up the parts from the dealership and was told this was the kit I needed. The part number is 82215287AC. I was told by the dealership this kit would fit my new 2020 2500 Laramie Crew Cab. The kit came with two power running boards, the BCM, 1 wiring hiring harness to connect the two boards and power to the BCM and one to connect the BCM to the CAN bus and ground. The instructions seem pretty simple, however the instructions show that there should be bolts on the vehicle to mount the boards and there are no bolts. I'm wondering if others ran into this and if there is a kit for the bolts.

BTW - I needed the truck with specific options and could not wait to order one, so I'm hoping I can add these since I got most of what I needed. With the COVID shutdown of the assembly plants the current supply is very limited.

Also in all of my searching on that part number it only appears associated with a RAM 1500 so now I'm wondering if I this will work at all.

Here are the sub parts on the kit in case anyone is interested
Power side step LT (Crew) - 68275813AB
Power side step RT (Crew) - 68275812AB
BCM - 68275941AD

Thanks for any help!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Hello,
This is a wonderful thread. Sounds like @Jimmy07 , @johanh13 have been successful installing the Mopar Power Running boards on their 2019 2500's. I just picked up the parts from the dealership and was told this was the kit I needed. The part number is 82215287AC. I was told by the dealership this kit would fit my new 2020 2500 Laramie Crew Cab. The kit came with two power running boards, the BCM, 1 wiring hiring harness to connect the two boards and power to the BCM and one to connect the BCM to the CAN bus and ground. The instructions seem pretty simple, however the instructions show that there should be bolts on the vehicle to mount the boards and there are no bolts. I'm wondering if others ran into this and if there is a kit for the bolts.

BTW - I needed the truck with specific options and could not wait to order one, so I'm hoping I can add these since I got most of what I needed. With the COVID shutdown of the assembly plants the current supply is very limited.

Also in all of my searching on that part number it only appears associated with a RAM 1500 so now I'm wondering if I this will work at all.

Here are the sub parts on the kit in case anyone is interested
Power side step LT (Crew) - 68275813AB
Power side step RT (Crew) - 68275812AB
BCM - 68275941AD

Thanks for any help!
That kit is for the 1500 DT 5th gen Rams, so the mounting will be vert different because of the frame difference. I’m sure if you can get them mounted, they’ll work like they’re supposed, though. How are you going to have them enabled so the radio settings and EVIC settings show up? Has the dealer confirmed that the sales code can be added to your truck, or are you using AlfaOBD? By the way, that’s not a BCM in the kit (body control module), it’s the power side step module.

mtnscott

Reaction score
Hi
That kit is for the 1500 DT 5th gen Rams, so the mounting will be vert different because of the frame difference. I’m sure if you can get them mounted, they’ll work like they’re supposed, though. How are you going to have them enabled so the radio settings and EVIC settings show up? Has the dealer confirmed that the sales code can be added to your truck, or are you using AlfaOBD? By the way, that’s not a BCM in the kit (body control module), it’s the power side step module.

The dealership I purchased the boards from told me they would add the code to my system. I would prefer to get the correct boards for my vehicle. I've got no problem returning everything to them and starting over.

As for the codes, The dealership told me they would add the code to my vehicle so it's consider a dealership added option.

Just for a quick check I was able to build the same vehicle on the RAM website with the power running boards as an option so I would think they could add that feature code.

How are your running boards installed on your 2019 2500 RAM? Did you have bolts, or hangers (like I've seen the AMP installs go)?

Users who are viewing this thread