Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mopar Power Deployable Running Boards

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Hat's off to @Jimmy07 for some serious effort/input re installing MOPAR boards. But it begs the question... did none of the pin-heads @ FCA think that maybe, just maybe, some folk might want to install their outrageously priced MOPAR retractable boards on their incompatible trucks? :rolleyes:

Easy... if you wanted it, you should have sprung for the higher trim... that's typical corporate mentality.

johanh13

Reaction score
Here’s some info I put together on the power steps. It includes the schematic, connector views, and pinouts. The wire sizes are listed in mm2, so convert those to AWG when choosing wire. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aWISv7rrkxYO31HQMoymEi8AOSLDDUv3/view?usp=drivesdk
The way I would do this is, I would install all the parts first, then the harness. Using your best guess, cut all the wires long enough (longer) to reach their appropriate spots with all wires originating at the power step module. This method will bypass all inline connectors, and remove all doubt on what partial wiring may or may not be present. If the fuse box C6 connector pin 22 wire is already present, just remove it and install your wire. No sense in figuring out which connector it terminates at, and adding more terminal part numbers in the mix. Assemble the wires to the C1 and C2 power step module connectors, and leave the other connectors off for now so you can pass the wire bundle through one location in the firewall that you choose. Then, once you branch off the wiring to go to the two motor connectors and fuse box connector, cut them to length and finish pinning the wires to the rest of the connectors. Attach the ground wire near the power step module, as there will already be a common ground bolt at the footwell in that vicinity. There are detailed pics of the star can IHS connector block location in the above document.
Use Tesa tape for interior wiring, and use super 33 tape and split loom for exterior wiring.
I’m no good at doing drawings on a computer, but here’s a crude sketch-
oRVU0yC.jpg

Does it matter where the STAR CAN IHS connection is made for the PSSM? Attached is a photo of the STAR CAN IHS in my truck, there appear to be numerous empty spots...1591243338236.jpeg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it does not matter which spot in the block as long as you're in the right block as it's all digital.

Not sure which block you might need to be in.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
I am looking specifically for the OEM Mopar parts, since I want it to be all 'factory' with the wiring and all. I am not a fan of the AMP boards using the OBDII port.... anyone?

And have the dealer install the OEM parts because they more than likely support it if there's a problem.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
It's not going to be "factory" and never will since it didn't leave the factory plant with them on. Aftermarket is aftermarket whether you choose manufacturer parts or other. Difference being is that by choosing the oem manufacturer parts and installed by the dealer, they may likely support it if there's a problem.
I understood what he meant by wanting to install the power running boards that a factory truck uses, and wire them so they would function exactly like factory with the radio settings and everything. That’s why I simply obliged him and explained how to do it, instead of steering him in a direction that he made clear he didn’t want to go.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
I understood what he meant by wanting to install the power running boards that a factory truck uses, and wire them so they would function exactly like factory with the radio settings and everything. That’s why I simply obliged him and explained how to do it, instead of steering him in a direction that he made clear he didn’t want to go.

Man you quick quoted my post. Lol I edited it two minutes after I read it.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
And have the dealer install the OEM parts because they more than likely support it if there's a problem.
The thing about the power steps is, there’s no factory kit for them to add later. You can’t just go to a dealer and ask them to install the steps, because they don’t build custom harnesses. The only thing they know is to replace the harnesses in the truck with the ones that have provisions for the steps. In this case, that would involve replacing the two chassis harnesses and the dash harness, which involves removing the entire dash. Now, if mopar was to release a kit to add the factory power steps, the add-on harness that they design for the kit would probably be similar to the one I suggested to build. As far as warranty for having the dealer install it- when the dealer adds the sales code to enable the feature, it shows up on your VIN build as “dealer installed option”, so only the dealership that did the install of the kit would take care of a warranty issue with it. It’s not like the factory warranty where you can take the truck to any FCA dealer for warranty work.

Trooper

Reaction score
All seems like a lot effort. I got the AMP retractable boards, work great, installed in a few hours then I put an ODB splitter in and tucked it all up under the dash. Anyone needing to plug into ODB is good to go and looks and works great

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
The thing about the power steps is, there’s no factory kit for them to add later. You can’t just go to a dealer and ask them to install the steps, because they don’t build custom harnesses. The only thing they know is to replace the harnesses in the truck with the ones that have provisions for the steps. In this case, that would involve replacing the two chassis harnesses and the dash harness, which involves removing the entire dash. Now, if mopar was to release a kit to add the factory power steps, the add-on harness that they design for the kit would probably be similar to the one I suggested to build. As far as warranty for having the dealer install it- when the dealer adds the sales code to enable the feature, it shows up on your VIN build as “dealer installed option”, so only the dealership that did the install of the kit would take care of a warranty issue with it. It’s not like the factory warranty where you can take the truck to any FCA dealer for warranty work.
I will maintain that FCA is screwing the pooch with their approach to MOPAR accessories. Alas, the bean counters had convinced corporate that truck/model specific wiring harnesses should be the stupidity de jour. Universal wiring looms were all the rage not so long ago. It wasn't a big deal to add MOPAR/factory stuff to your ride. If their strategy now is to compel customers to purchase higher end vehicles for the accessories they desire, then they still (unbelievably) are not paying attention!

johanh13

Reaction score
I will maintain that FCA is screwing the pooch with their approach to MOPAR accessories. Alas, the bean counters had convinced corporate that truck/model specific wiring harnesses should be the stupidity de jour. Universal wiring looms were all the rage not so long ago. It wasn't a big deal to add MOPAR/factory stuff to your ride. If their strategy now is to compel customers to purchase higher end vehicles for the accessories they desire, then they still (unbelievably) are not paying attention!
I agree that they should use universal wiring harnesses. How much are they really saving by having so many different variations. Anyhow, I searched for the vehicle with the options I wanted and found one at a decent price with everything but the power running boards. I did some [not enough] research and it seemed a mopar kit would be available since I right away found the mopar kit for the 2020 ram 1500. Then my dealer told me they were definitely coming, but they did not know when. After waiting two months, I decided to see what else could be done. Thanks to the help from thestuart and jimmy07, it looks like I can make my own add-on wire harness. I have most of the parts now, so I will know soon enough.
Knowing what I know now, I would just order the truck I wanted with the exact options I wanted, even though I would likely not get the discount I got now. I would get the same options I have now plus level 2 equipment pkg, the power boards, and factory bed liner... I did get over $15k off of sticker (attached)
I added the b&w hitch and rv plug, plus the bed liner (photos attached)

Attachments

• 2019 ram 2500.png
    2019 ram 2500.png
    577 KB · Views: 121
  • b&w hitch.png
    b&w hitch.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 113
  • rv plug.png
    rv plug.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:

powerwagon50

Reaction score
So my dealer finally quoted me the parts to install the power deployable running boards;

68361654aa power running board, right
68361655aa power running board, left
68367399ae controller module
68410914ad chassis wiring, left
68385176ae chassis wiring, right

Everything makes sense, except I cannot see where to install the controller module.

Does anyone know where it goes? I am assuming under the dash somewhere? Is there another wire harness that would need to be swapped to get the connections for the module?

If anyone has a 2019 or 2020 Ram 2500 with factory power running boards, do you have any ideas on this? Thanks in advance
Hey John,

Have you been about to get the oem power steps to work? Im currently working on adding the power steps to my 2019 power wagon. Ran into similar road blocks and issues. Bought the above listed parts and the chassis wiring that was ordered by the dealer doesn't have the connector for my rear differential locks.... other than the parts above are there any other requirements? Ive been reading through this thread and I see some custom harness work? This would definitely be beyond my scope of work. Let me know if you were able to get the oem steps to work?

Thanks,
Edd

johanh13

Reaction score
Hey John,

Have you been about to get the oem power steps to work? Im currently working on adding the power steps to my 2019 power wagon. Ran into similar road blocks and issues. Bought the above listed parts and the chassis wiring that was ordered by the dealer doesn't have the connector for my rear differential locks.... other than the parts above are there any other requirements? Ive been reading through this thread and I see some custom harness work? This would definitely be beyond my scope of work. Let me know if you were able to get the oem steps to work?

Thanks,
Edd

Hello Edd, I am still waiting for the actual boards and the module. I should know in about a week or so, if it will all work according to plan A. I will keep you all posted! Just to be clear, I am building my own harness which means I do not need to swap/upgrade any factory harnesses.... Did you swap the dash harness? I would be very curious how much work it actually is, and how did you find the right harness?

Last edited:

powerwagon50

Reaction score
Hello Edd, I am still waiting for the actual boards and the module. I should know in about a week or so, if it will all work according to plan A. I will keep you all posted! Just to be clear, I am building my own harness which means I do not need to swap/upgrade any factory harnesses.... Did you swap the dash harness? I would be very curious how much work it actually is, and how did you find the right harness?
Hi John, is there a specific reason why you are building your own harness? We found the harness for the oem power steps from the dealer. One issue I'm facing is the power wagon has a rear diff lock which hooks up to the driver side harness. The harness the dealer sold me is missing that part...Here are the part numbers of the harnesses I'm dealing with:

wiring chassis, left 68410912ac
wiring chassis, right 68385178ae
module 68367399ae

I have all the parts installed and not sure where the module goes? Also the driver side harness doesn't have the rear diff lock attachment. Those are the issues I'm facing so far. @Jimmy07 Do you have any ideas on the module location? Thank you

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Hi John, is there a specific reason why you are building your own harness? We found the harness for the oem power steps from the dealer. One issue I'm facing is the power wagon has a rear diff lock which hooks up to the driver side harness. The harness the dealer sold me is missing that part...Here are the part numbers of the harnesses I'm dealing with:

module 68367399ae

I have all the parts installed and not sure where the module goes? Also the driver side harness doesn't have the rear diff lock attachment. Those are the issues I'm facing so far. @Jimmy07 Do you have any ideas on the module location? Thank you
The reason for custom building the harness is ease of install. Here’s the route of the two chassis harnesses you ordered, so everything you see in red needs to be removed and replaced with the new ones-
ePiElyd.jpg
heRlsHu.jpg

It looks easy on paper, but once you get under there, you’re gonna be reaching up around all kinds of obstructions and trying to pull wire loom zip tie trees out of body holes, then fishing the new harnesses in.
The module is at the passenger side of the glovebox area (I believe there’s a detailed pic earlier in the thread).
MqkH5zP.jpg

If the connector for it isn’t there, then you also need a different instrument panel harness, which requires dash removal to replace it. @johanh13 is building a stand alone custom harness that doesn’t require removal of any other factory harnesses, and it is using the exact same connectors and terminals as the factory uses, and will be connected to the hard parts just like factory. I believe he paid ~$70 for all materials to build the harness, whereas the two chassis harnesses alone are about $380, and that hasn’t even touched on whether or not you need to swap the instrument panel harness.

Jimmy07

Reaction score

module 68367399ae

Also, I’m not sure of all the options available for the power wagon, but if there is no option to have power boards on a power wagon, then there will be no such part number for a chassis harness that contains the board motor connector AND the locker connector. So, you would be left with building a custom add on harness for THAT.

johanh13

Reaction score
Ok, so Jimmy07 answered your question pretty good, eh Powerwagon50? Hopefully I will know pretty soon how well this will work, I am just waiting now for the boards themselves, I have all the rest of the parts. I will try to photodoc this and share it here.... we shall see. By the way, my dealer says there is a long backorder on the boards, but they located some at another dealer and are shipping them...

johanh13

Reaction score
So, even though I don't have all the parts, I did get started on my wiring project (attached is a sneak peak)....pssm wiring1.png

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So, even though I don't have all the parts, I did get started on my wiring project (attached is a sneak peak)....View attachment 5143
Looks good. One thing I failed to mention and didn’t think about- Can Bus wires should be twisted pairs to even out any interference they may pick up. It shouldn’t be an issue here (more of a “best practice”), but if you aren’t too far along, take the two Can IHS wires and twist them together.

Users who are viewing this thread