Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood Vibrating at highway speeds

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
On May 3, I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 Mega Cab. I'm sad to report, I also have the hood shake issues. To me, they're most notable at the rear corners of the hood. At highway speeds, it's definitely unnerving...to the point I've pulled over a couple of times just to confirm the hood is closed well. I'll PM RamCares and see where it goes.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
On May 3, I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 Mega Cab. I'm sad to report, I also have the hood shake issues. To me, they're most notable at the rear corners of the hood. At highway speeds, it's definitely unnerving...to the point I've pulled over a couple of times just to confirm the hood is closed well. I'll PM RamCares and see where it goes.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out on this, @TXsportDiver. I just had a chance to follow up!

Mark
RamCares

NordicNevs

Reaction score
@RamCares we have a circular problem here that is advantageous for FCA

We reach out to you or our service advisor
They adjust the jump stops
-this does two things 1) it makes the gasket not useful at all letting a bunch of water, dust and debris into the engine bay and 2) fixed it good enough to have them never be able to duplicate it again.

What do I mean by this. The bump stops will stop any shaking in the hood on any test drive to verify it’s fixed. However it’s a fallacy because when you’re using your truck driving on the free way in heavy winds it’s back to its old self shaking like crazy.

See what I am saying here? The fix is good enough to pass inspection but not solve the problem.

Please please please reach out to ram and tel them to recall all the brackets to put more downward force on the hood.

I would have gladly accepted 0.0001 mpg worse because of a heavier hood than have all this trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NordicNevs

Reaction score

I wonder if a gasket material would be enough to settle it down a little and set up some of the thread on the bolts. Maybe even thin rubber. Not enough to throw it out of alignment but enough to stabilize or isolate the movement and maybe put a little more pressure on the structure of the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M Penwald

Reaction score
I wonder if a gasket material would be enough to settle it down a little and set up some of the thread on the bolts. Maybe even thin rubber. Not enough to throw it out of alignment but enough to stabilize or isolate the movement and maybe put a little more pressure on the structure of the hood.
Good suggestion but I’m not touching mine whatsoever. When it breaks from metal fatigue, I want those factory painted hinge nuts to have no socket or wrench marks on it and the mount bone stock. They’re gonna own this failure 100% and not pawn it off on anything. It will fail. Aluminum can’t take that. There’s 44 years of Peterbilt aluminum hood experience behind that statement.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I've been on the highway a few times with my 2020 3500, no hood vibration that I could tell. I've been at 85+ MPH just to make sure.

brucie

Reaction score
I've been on the highway a few times with my 2020 3500, no hood vibration that I could tell. I've been at 85+ MPH just to make sure.
I have a 2019 and the only time I have seen the issue is with a fairly heavy offset headwind of probably around 40 mph. I have owned the truck 8 months and have only seen it happen once. I don't go faster than the speed limit which around here is 70 on the interstates in rural areas. If I am towing my maximum speed is 62 mph and that is when I saw the hood shake in heavy winds. It really doesn't bother me much compared to other issues, like the horrible AC system. Even that is good enough to not make an appointment to have it not fixed during the age of covid.

MikeXM

Reaction score
So, why are some having the issue while other don't. Any guess?

carlrx7

Reaction score
Mine has been good since adjusting the front corner stops that one time. I haven't noticed if it is letting dirt and water under the hood yet

bstar1952

Reaction score
New truck that I'm really enjoying but a little un-nerving last week while heading home to south Texas. We were traveling south on U.S. Hwy 385 from New Mexico and on the 2 lane portions of the road I began to notice the truck's hood would shake and move up/down/sideways to the point I thought it could come unlatched every time a semi would pass by in the opposite direction. This was so bad that I had to move onto the shoulder every time a semi passed us in the opposite direction and it was damn unsettling. I've owned a lot of trucks in my life and had never encountered this while driving. WTF..... We were towing our travel trailer at the time, so my speed was 62 mph and it was a little windy but nothing bad. Anyway, wondering if anyone else has observed this with their hood? The hood shaking and moving about was so bad, I'm thinking of installing some old school hood locks. Thoughts? BTW, I have checked the hood latch and all appears to be OK.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
there haven't been any hoods fly off yet.

adjust the bump stops and it will make it better but won't resolve it completely. there are a few other threads on here you can read.

bstar1952

Reaction score
We can, but in future please either PM a mod, or report the post with a request. We might not have otherwise seen it.

Also know there's another much longer thread on the hood shake/vibrating/flapping so I would prefer to just merge this since I have to touch it.

It's best to search a bit first before posting a new thread on something that's likely to have been discussed at length before.
Thank you Brutal_HO. If I could have thought of the word "vibrating" I might have found what I was looking for.

DCJ

Reaction score
Looking at a new 2500 and saw this video. Thought it might help.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
New truck that I'm really enjoying but a little un-nerving last week while heading home to south Texas. We were traveling south on U.S. Hwy 385 from New Mexico and on the 2 lane portions of the road I began to notice the truck's hood would shake and move up/down/sideways to the point I thought it could come unlatched every time a semi would pass by in the opposite direction. This was so bad that I had to move onto the shoulder every time a semi passed us in the opposite direction and it was damn unsettling. I've owned a lot of trucks in my life and had never encountered this while driving. WTF..... We were towing our travel trailer at the time, so my speed was 62 mph and it was a little windy but nothing bad. Anyway, wondering if anyone else has observed this with their hood? The hood shaking and moving about was so bad, I'm thinking of installing some old school hood locks. Thoughts? BTW, I have checked the hood latch and all appears to be OK.

I apologize for the trouble, @bstar1952. If you decide to address this with your Ram dealer, we are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support through that process.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread