Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood Vibrating at highway speeds

Will_T

Reaction score
2021 Ram 2500. Hood shakes violently at front corners @ highway speed. Even worse with oncoming passing traffic.
Yes my truck does this when a oncoming semi goes by. The first time it did it was with a semi loaded with hay, both of us going probably 60mph. Thought I was going to lose the hood. It really moves a lot! Now I make sure if I am on a two lane highway and see an oncoming truck like that I edge over to the fog line a bit. Just a little more space when passing makes a difference. So far it has not had the shakes when just driving without oncoming semi traffic.

Sponge60

Reaction score
Didn't notice this on my 21 3500. I've been on a couple of trips at Interstate speed (80-ish mph) and no issue. But I would be pretty irritated if it were to happen. Hope a solution is available soon for those having this happen.

mcspeed

Reaction score
I’m thinking that it is an aero issue related to fitment. If some trucks have the problem and some don’t, it can’t be the aluminum. If it sits too high, air gets under it at speed. The rubber trim piece isn’t able to do it’s job of sealing out the air at speed so it gets under the hood and creates turbulence.

An easy test would be to tape off the gap between grill and hood and see if it still occurs.

If air travels over the top side it is unlikely to happen. If air gets under the hood, that’s when the issue occurs.

Many super cars that are capable of speeds in excess of 180mph are made of aluminum so I doubt the material is the sole reason for the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will_T

Reaction score
An easy test would be to tape off the gap between grill and hood and see if it still occurs.

Mine flutters up from the driver's side of the hood, not the front. You can actually see the left side of the hood jump up when it happens.

mcspeed

Reaction score
Mine flutters up from the driver's side of the hood, not the front. You can actually see the left side of the hood jump up when it happens.

That is because the drivers side stop is higher. Air enters the front unless you are in reverse LOL. Adjust it and try the test.

Will_T

Reaction score
That is because the drivers side stop is higher. Air enters the front unless you are in reverse LOL. Adjust it and try the test.

I will try it. Mine does it as the semi is going by on the driver side so the wind that's pushing off the semi is likely coming at me at an angle and not directly from the front.

Ruffone

Reaction score
BikePilot, the aluminum definitely has a lot to do with it. Even your trusty Land Rover has it happen, here’s a quick link I found searching for “Land Rover hood flutter”, it took me right to the Land Rover’s owners forum.

And here’s one for the brand new Bronco with hood fluttering.

Here’s on for a Lincoln MKC.

Here’s on for the Toyota RAV 4.

And yes even Ford trucks have the issue as well.

All these vehicles have hoods of various designs, but the one common thing they all share are aluminum hoods.

Firebird

Reaction score
My 2019 hood did it, but so far, my 2021 does not

dddoug

Reaction score
This worked for me - I tried adjusting the factory stops to no success ; adjusted to factory position , then bought 1/8" rubber stick on pads at Lowes and placed them on the non adjustable out board stops under the hood. Shake fixed !

dcoop

Reaction score
My 2020 does it pretty bad. Had a storm with some wind gust the other day and I was going down the interstate I thought the damn thing was going to flip up and smack the windshield or fly off.

Will_T

Reaction score
This worked for me - I tried adjusting the factory stops to no success ; adjusted to factory position , then bought 1/8" rubber stick on pads at Lowes and placed them on the non adjustable out board stops under the hood. Shake fixed !

Thanks - I have some pads like that so may try it. It will be a bit harder to determine with mine if it works as it only does it sometimes when a large, oncoming semi with a large flat side wall or load of hay goes by just on the other side of the yellow line. Normal semis don't usually do it and if I pull over a few feet to the fog line or more, it won't happen. You put it on the one passenger side and one driver side outside stops only? The stop shown in the attached photo?

hood stops.jpg

dddoug

Reaction score
Thanks - I have some pads like that so may try it. It will be a bit harder to determine with mine if it works as it only does it sometimes when a large, oncoming semi with a large flat side wall or load of hay goes by just on the other side of the yellow line. Normal semis don't usually do it and if I pull over a few feet to the fog line or more, it won't happen. You put it on the one passenger side and one driver side outside stops only? The stop shown in the attached photo?

View attachment 24791
Yes - both sides at your arrow.

JALOPYJUNK

Reaction score
Mine is extremely bad at highway speeds. Both sides of the hood flutter. Happens with no other vehicles around.

Bombaman

Reaction score
Mine does like @H3LZSN1P3R 's, at higher highway speeds. I do have a AVS Hood deflector, which may or may not compound the issue

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Mine does like @H3LZSN1P3R 's, at higher highway speeds. I do have a AVS Hood deflector, which may or may not compound the issue
I also have the hood deflector but it did it without it aswell…

if you think its bad normally you should see how bad it is with my plow on its all over the place lol

Dean2

Reaction score
I want to take mine to the dealer and get it addressed, mine only does it when semi goes past the other direction but I still find it annoying. Did anyone post or come up with the TSB number for the hood fix of gluing the cross brace down and replacing the cover pins? I am also going to try gluing the 1/8" strips on the hood posts to see if that helps. Thanks.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I want to take mine to the dealer and get it addressed, mine only does it when semi goes past the other direction but I still find it annoying. Did anyone post or come up with the TSB number for the hood fix of gluing the cross brace down and replacing the cover pins? I am also going to try gluing the 1/8" strips on the hood posts to see if that helps. Thanks.
It's been a while but I don't think it wasn't a TSB for the 2500s...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There wont be a fix the only way to stop it is to make a steel hood. Aluminum has no rigidity no matter haw many strips you glue to it unfortunately

Users who are viewing this thread