Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood Vibrating at highway speeds

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Yup it’s trash. I want a new hood. The SW winds down here have left me worried about longevity of a hood of all things. I really wish there was a way to punch the team in the face who thought of this.

Oh and good luck bringing it to a dealer that always always always has to replicate it. I showed them video of my drive though NM and west Texas and they said ok but couldn’t duplicate it.

Clowns and a scheme all of it.

Sounds funny but I am beyond frustrated with this and a hood vibrating like this and shaking like it did yesterday even after the “fix” has been done coupled with dealers needing to replicate things and not take facts and empirical / data based evidence of a hood about to blow off the truck is enough to make me switch to another brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Here is a good place to start by reporting. Hopefully enough people will do the same and the may be it will get fixed.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Here is a good place to start by reporting. Hopefully enough people will do the same and the may be it will get fixed.

Done

Your Complaint Number: 11320836

Front end clunk and good shaking added

carlrx7

Reaction score
Yes mine does it. First time I saw it I pulled over because I thought the hood was popped.
Noticed this the other day as well when jumping on the highway. I'm no guinea pig, I'll put in a complaint and wait for a TSB/Recall to show up. That or epoxy some Neodymium magnets in the corner supports. lol

B757dr

Reaction score
Thank you for tagging us to alert us of this hood vibration concern. Please send our teams a PM with your VIN, mileage, and dealer so that we can document this on your behalf. Also, please notate if you have visited the dealer for this yet.

Darlene
Ram Cares
Where do I PM the RAM team?

carlrx7

Reaction score
Noticed this the other day as well when jumping on the highway. I'm no guinea pig, I'll put in a complaint and wait for a TSB/Recall to show up. That or epoxy some Neodymium magnets in the corner supports. lol
Update: I had the hood open so I gave the rubber stops 3 clicks counter clockwise (1/2 total turn). got up to 85 and the shaking was greatly reduced. I think I will leave it there, panels all still line up.

D

Deleted member 80

Had a stray thought on the lifting towards the rear from oncoming semis, etc. Wondering if the emblems were functional vents would the sudden pressure change equalize, and eliminate the lift???

thestuarts

Reaction score
I have the same issue and did adjusted the stops it cut the vibrations down some but did not get rid of it.

I adjusted my hood bump stops and it helped a lot
I haven’t noticed it at all since I turned those up a bit.

This problem I fixed in my driveway with a few min and a Phillips head screwdriver. I drove 10 miles from dealer and thought my hood was unlatched it was so bad. I went another 1200 miles home and it drove me nuts. Next day open hood, screwdriver counter clockwise on both hood stops (up) a few turns and then positioned hood 12” from closing and dropped it, it still closed. Went up another 1/4 turn at a time until the 12” hood drop it didn’t close as it hit supports before latching. Went back down 1/4 turn closed hood with 12” drop and now it’s 95% better. Only in gusty crosswinds I’ll see it flutter a bit but it doesn’t bother me. You can tweak each corner a bit more if you see one corner vibrate more.

I tried fixing the hood vibration by adjusting the bump stops (at the front) all the way up as far as they will go and still allow the hood to close, but the problem is back at the hinge. Look at this video which demonstrates the problem. I tried tightening the hood bolts another 1/2 turn, but it felt like I was applying too much torque, and I was worried about bending the hood.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Nice I wonder if a small gasket of thin rubber would be a good fit.

AKDoug

Reaction score
I tried fixing the hood vibration by adjusting the bump stops (at the front) all the way up as far as they will go and still allow the hood to close, but the problem is back at the hinge. Look at this video which demonstrates the problem. I tried tightening the hood bolts another 1/2 turn, but it felt like I was applying too much torque, and I was worried about bending the hood.

I've considered pulling mine off and putting some butyl mastic under it. Super sticky, but not impossible to remove in the future.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
That ain't good... :( Will have to have a look at that.

1FastHemi

Reaction score

Have you all got @RamCare involved yet?
Here is another place to report Safety issues to : https://www.nhtsa.gov/ If enough people report this, they will issue a recall.

D

Deleted member 80

It appears the hood is too thin/weak, and deflecting at the hinge mounting pad. As it lifts, I believe we also get some side-to-side motion from the flimsy hinges.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I messaged RamCare a few hours ago. I have some experience working with the nhtsa on recall issues. I will submit a report.

I did have a chance to follow up, hope to hear from you again there soon!

Mark
RamCares

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
It appears the hood is too thin/weak, and deflecting at the hinge mounting pad. As it lifts, I believe we also get some side-to-side motion from the flimsy hinges.
Agreed and speaking of which, my hood bulge appears to have some minor oil canning that I suspect is related to this nonsense. It's not readily apparent due to the dark Patriot Blue colour - needs to be viewed at just the right angle in particular light. Anybody else?

thestuarts

Reaction score
Agreed and speaking of which, my hood bulge appears to have some minor oil canning that I suspect is related to this nonsense. It's not readily apparent due to the dark Patriot Blue colour - needs to be viewed at just the right angle in particular light. Anybody else?

What is oil canning?

Users who are viewing this thread