Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hood Vibrating at highway speeds

DeVoTee

Reaction score
What Crock... second trip to dealer with star case # in hand. Stated this was my second visit for the problem and I have a Sar case #. Service employee stated my first visit wasn't recorded in their system.....Glad to see my Dealership takes my concerns seriously! First visit I was told operates as intended. Second visit... Tech's comment from my paperwork.... "CUSTOMER STATES HOOD VIBRATES WHILE DRIVING TEST DROVE VEHICLE. VERIFIED WHILE DRIVING AND HITTING BUMPS HOOD MOVES. TEST DROVE LIKE VEHICLE KG608797. FOUND HOOD MOVES SAME AMOUNT NORMAL OPERATION. COMPLETED NPF WORKSHEET.

I AM PISSED... COMPLETE TOTAL WASTE OF MY TIME. I assume the truck was never driven at highway speeds with other semi traffic. Crosswinds and driving at interstate speed with other semi traffic is when this problem is occurs.

Hi DeVoTee,

Recently there was a STAR case released that appears to address concerns similar to the symptom that you are having with your vehicle. To ensure this STAR case applies, we would like to get you back into the dealer to have a qualified technician review the details of the case and specifics of your vehicle. Once reviewed, the technician can then perform the repair procedure that best matches the symptoms and diagnosis of your vehicle. For reference, the STAR case number you can provide to your dealer is S1923000050.

Mark
RamCares
[/QUOTE]

DeVoTee

Reaction score
Had dealer perform TSB for 1500 hood on my 2500 and it did not work. Hood still vibrates at highway speed. I'm not accepting and am going to go a different route. Thanks for tall the feedback.

Please let us know what you do and if you have any success.

KB RAM

Reaction score
Please let us know what you do and if you have any success.

My truck was bought back as a lemon as the dealer had it for 44 days and could not get the hood to stop vibrating at highway speeds. Gluing the x brace to the hood did not work. The issue is the gap between the hood and the grill which is fillled by the rubber striping, just allows to much airflow. I ended up going with a F450 and the hood does not vibrate at all at any speed. I understand what I give up leaving the Ram for a Ford in regards to interior but the hood vibration drove me crazy.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I am glad I found this thread as I am awaiting the delivery of my new Ram 3500. I WILL BE taking it on a THOROUGH test drive (24 hours) before I sign the papers and Insist it be fixed if the problem show up before I sign anything. I have also noticed other problems with Ram vehicles mentioned here and will be checking for them as well. I hope the have started correcting this problem on the production line before they have been shipped out!

Just wondering if there is a thread here listing all the problems/bugs in one thread with all the new Rams. This would be handy for those of us that haven't received our vehicles yet to look and find them and get them fixed before we take delivery. As we all know, most dealers don't want to do anything after you take delivery.

Last edited:

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I am glad I found this thread as I am awaiting the delivery of my new Ram 3500. I WILL BE taking it on a THOROUGH test drive (24 hours) before I sign the papers and Insist it be fixed if the problem show up before I sign anything. I have also noticed other problems with Ram vehicles mentioned here and will be checking for them as well. I hope the have started correcting this problem on the production line before they have been shipped out!

Just wondering if there is a thread here listing all the problems/bugs in one thread with all the new Rams. This would be handy for those of us that haven't received our vehicles yet to look and find them and get them fixed before we take delivery. As we all know, most dealers don't want to do anything after you take delivery.

^- THIS

It will have an impact if more people do it.

Off camber turning clunk front end
Camera flickers
Hood
Noise Cancelation humming
DEF usage ( won’t see it in 24hours unless you travel several hundred miles)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamGuy84

Reaction score
I took mine in back in September for this. They confirmed it after a road test, but said they have no fix for it yet and no TSB or any kind.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again but ram needs to do is they need to redesign the front hood gasket seal and after they adjust the hood stops they need to replace it with the seal that’ll put positive pressure down on the sides and less pressure over the center so that will have a uniform seal across using the existing structure. I have thought about designing on myself and getting it taken care of because I don’t know if Ram will do this it will literally take a week of R&D A week of testing and then manufacturing time without having to adjust everybody’s hoods or add a new braces or try to improve structure that by design will still allow air to come through.

It’s a sealant issue for the air and they need to address that in tandem with the current TSB

You’re welcome ram I just gave you your first recall now go get it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Thread kinda petered out in Dec but lotsa gripes for the 19s:

Slightly

Reaction score
I’ve only had one incident of this, but it was with insane cross winds on a tall bridge during a recent storm. Slowed way down and put flashers on as I thought it was going to fly off. At the time I chocked it up to extreme circumstances, but I am going to keep my eye on it on far more carefully on my next highway trips after reading this.
(2019 2500)

Dgulia

Reaction score
I had the issue and the dealer adjusted the stops, it took care of most of it. Then they adjusted the latch and it's fixed.

Dakrt23

Reaction score
This problem I fixed in my driveway with a few min and a Phillips head screwdriver. I drove 10 miles from dealer and thought my hood was unlatched it was so bad. I went another 1200 miles home and it drove me nuts. Next day open hood, screwdriver counter clockwise on both hood stops (up) a few turns and then positioned hood 12” from closing and dropped it, it still closed. Went up another 1/4 turn at a time until the 12” hood drop it didn’t close as it hit supports before latching. Went back down 1/4 turn closed hood with 12” drop and now it’s 95% better. Only in gusty crosswinds I’ll see it flutter a bit but it doesn’t bother me. You can tweak each corner a bit more if you see one corner vibrate more.

carlrx7

Reaction score
This problem I fixed in my driveway with a few min and a Phillips head screwdriver. I drove 10 miles from dealer and thought my hood was unlatched it was so bad. I went another 1200 miles home and it drove me nuts. Next day open hood, screwdriver counter clockwise on both hood stops (up) a few turns and then positioned hood 12” from closing and dropped it, it still closed. Went up another 1/4 turn at a time until the 12” hood drop it didn’t close as it hit supports before latching. Went back down 1/4 turn closed hood with 12” drop and now it’s 95% better. Only in gusty crosswinds I’ll see it flutter a bit but it doesn’t bother me. You can tweak each corner a bit more if you see one corner vibrate more.

Is the hood still flush with the fender after raising the stop?

Dakrt23

Reaction score
It is oh-so sad when an owner gets the brand spanking new truck home and has to break out the tools to fix/adjust stuff. The hoods are flimsy.
I don’t disagree, Msrp on mine was 84.9 it should be perfect.. but I looked at it as I could waste my time at the dealer, bitch about it here, both, or just crack a beer in the driveway and fix it. I chose the last option but were all different.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I don’t disagree, Msrp on mine was 84.9 it should be perfect.. but I looked at it as I could waste my time at the dealer, bitch about it here, both, or just crack a beer in the driveway and fix it. I chose the last option but were all different.
Ya... I can't remember the last time the dealer offered me a cold wobbly pop.

D

Deleted member 80

my 2500 does NOT do this at all
Going down the road is not so bad, and adjusting the stops will minimize it. What's annoying to me, and doesn't seem to change, is on a two lane road with a rural speed limit 55-65, and an oncoming semi whizzes by, the hood actually even lifts at the rear, back by the hinges, and gives a big wiggle like it's going to leave the scene. We have a lot of that here in AZ. I think it's a combination of the chintzy aluminum hood, flimsy rear mounts, and the airflow management that they did with the new front end and cooling package. I don't think there is going to be a fix. As embarrassing as it is with someone else in the truck getting wide-eyed, I have gotten over it. It's a shame, and I can't believe it was not detected in testing and addressed.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Going down the road is not so bad, and adjusting the stops will minimize it. What's annoying to me, and doesn't seem to change, is on a two lane road with a rural speed limit 55-65, and an oncoming semi whizzes by, the hood actually even lifts at the rear, back by the hinges, and gives a big wiggle like it's going to leave the scene. We have a lot of that here in AZ. I think it's a combination of the chintzy aluminum hood, flimsy rear mounts, and the airflow management that they did with the new front end and cooling package. I don't think there is going to be a fix. As embarrassing as it is with someone else in the truck getting wide-eyed, I have gotten over it. It's a shame, and I can't believe it was not detected in testing and addressed.
FCA testing procedure: build vehicle- wrap it in some stupid @$$ swirly wrap- drive to fast food shack of drivers choice- drive back to HQ and start cranking them out!!!!:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread