Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

baker01

Reaction score
Yeah, how dare they. It would be much better if they just withhold the potential safety issue information from the truck owners until they have enough repair parts produced and stockpiled.
Putting the initial recall out to inform people is fine and needed. Sending out the updated recall notice that parts are available is not!

Mikerob14

Reaction score
Putting the initial recall out to inform people is fine and needed. Sending out the updated recall notice that parts are available is not!
I mean, technically they aren’t lying… parts are available… now whether or not your 1st or 50th in line for the part is a different story… it’s quite a large amount of trucks included in the recall.

clarkfred

Reaction score
Had mine replaced today. I was told the old one had started to melt and they had problems separating it from the bracket...but all is well. Even had the trans dipstick recall done....

2021 6.7 SO

Dodgeman

Reaction score
I was expecting them to be quite different looking but they look identical...I wonder whats so different inside.
Here is a picture of the new and old relay. The outline shows the edges of the internal contact plate for both the +12V and -12V high current leads. Doesn't take rocket science to see the problem with the old design, especially with potential slight variances with placement in manufacturing. Short circuit anyone?

Attachments

• Old, New relay.jpg
    Old, New relay.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

sn_85

Reaction score
Had my recall done today. I had called around to 3 different local dealerships to be placed on a waitlists. Obviously there was no estimation on when the part would get it so glad it's finally done. Best part about it was that a mobile tech came to my house and finished it in like 10 mins. Easy peasy. Now that I've had the dipstrick recall done and heater grid recall done I can rest easy, for now...

Cpsram21

Reaction score
I went into my dealer about a week ago when i heard they released the 21 models and they put me on the list ! I'm number 76 in line at the moment and she said they are getting 4 relays a week so it might be a while . I told her i unhooked the power to it as soon as heard the recall was back because i wasn't parking my $80k truck outside , she said i dont blame you lots of people are doing the same thing .

mountainears

Reaction score
4 a week? My dealer said they are getting 1 per week and I’m 56 in line. So at that rate I have a good year. I need to unplug mine…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpsram21

Reaction score
4 a week? My dealer said they are getting 1 per week and I’m 56 in line. So at that rate I have a good year. I need to unplug mine…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My dealer was getting 1 a week up to about 2 weeks ago so they must have stepped up production on them cause now its 4 per week . Still a long wait for me im afraid , good thing its summer time and not winter where its needed.

leroyg

Reaction score
Had relay on my 2022 Ram 3500 replaced today, and like previous poster, I had been on dealer on replacing the temporary
15-inch trans dip stick with the proper 44-inch dipstick. That took place today as well, interesting that it also.
included the 44-inch housing? Upon my replacing the dip stick the new 44 inch fit perfect and displayed
proper level. This just for information. Good Luck to all.
Leroy

Attachments

• 44 inch dipstick.jpg
    44 inch dipstick.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 62

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I have a 2022 and it's still crickets for me on both dipstick and grid heater recalls...on the list at two dealerships too.

jebruns

Reaction score
I have a 2022 and it's still crickets for me on both dipstick and grid heater recalls...on the list at two dealerships too.
If it's like my local dealer, being "on the list" does no good at all. You just need to keep calling. Or take it in and have a formal service done for the recalls so that they order the parts for you that way.

hexplor1

Reaction score
Yep, stay on 'em....I got mine done a few weeks ago just from being so annoying I think....:) I called every "local" dealer within a 50-mile radius every day asking for an update. Then again, who actually has the time to do this? I don't either and feel we shouldn't have to chase something like this down. I just put all the service dept. #'s on speed dial and kept calling..:)

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I wonder at what point not having the recall does becomes a liability switcher-roo? Meaning how long do you have to get is fixed before FCA can say I didn't do my part in getting the recall taken care of and cost of damage/repairs is on me (even though I am trying to).

unclelala

Reaction score
Had the 3 recalls done today on my 2021 : Grid Heater, Tailgate, and the ZD4 DEF thingy.

OregonRam

Reaction score
Had the grid relay and the proper trans dipstick installed last Monday. I think I was on the list for 3 to 4 months. 2021 2500

Wheelz

Reaction score
I've been on the waiting list for 2 months now. Didnt want to wait anymore for the grid relay. Ended up finding a place to order it for me and the part gets here saturday. Guess I'll just file for reimbursement. Part was around $90 +shipping.

WisHawk

Reaction score
Dealer is still telling me no relay or dipstick, parts still on back order.
Dealer said it could be a couple months yet and now a possible recall on front drive shaft.
All while Ram keeps sending me multiple copies of the recall letters. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread