Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Called multiple dealerships, everyone same story" parts on backorder we will put you on a list and call you." It's been over 3 months now.
Tried Ram Cares same story call dealer get on list.
Tried ordering the parts myself (Mopar won't let you) I have spent a lot of energy trying to get this resolved and the recalls done.
I am very fed up with the whole thing. And this definitely will have an impact on any future vehicle purchase.

I ordered one from the link in this thread and installed it myself. Going to have Ram close out the recall next week when the do the Y43 repair.

jebruns

Reaction score
Tried ordering the parts myself (Mopar won't let you)
Yes, they will. I ordered one last week from the OEM Mopar site, and received it in a day or two. Came from a Ram dealer about 3 hours away. Having it installed tomorrow.

Thanks to AH64ID for the info on how to do that.

CdnHO

Reaction score
The dealership was supposed to call me when they had the parts. Never heard from them. After three more weeks I called them and lo and behold they have a relay and gave me an appointment for next week. Figure it 50/50 that they will actually have it when I bring it in.
Well that didn’t last long. Got a call the next day to say that sorry, the part is on back order. Oh well.

Last edited:

KneeDeep

Reaction score
Just had mine done yesterday. Took 6 months once on order list by dealer.
I picked up my truck from the dealer today and they now tell me the relay was not done and the part is on order. The truck was there for my backup camera cutting out. They replaced the radio saying that was the problem. They said that did not correct it and ordered a camera And called saying it is done. Went to pick it up and it still cuts out.

Riddick

Reaction score
I dropped my truck off yesterday for this and the Y43 PM sensor. I asked if they had both parts in stock and they ensured me they did, we will see what happens today.

Trying to get these parts has been hard. I originally ordered these from a dealer in OH but we moved over the summer. Of course the OH dealer called me 3 weeks after I moved and told me my relay came in. As soon as we arrived in VA I contacted the closest dealer and for the past 5 weeks I have been told I am #1 on their list and part will be here the following week. I quickly became sick of this and tried a different dealer and low and behold they had the part in stock. Fingers crossed I can pick my truck up today and there will be 0 open recalls.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
The dealership was supposed to call me when they had the parts. Never heard from them. After three more weeks I called them and lo and behold they have a relay and gave me an appointment for next week. Figure it 50/50 that they will actually have it when I bring it in.

We are sorry to hear about your dealer experience. Should you run into any issues during your arrangement, please let us know, we'd be happy to assist.

William
Ram Cares

jebruns

Reaction score
Another dealer head scratcher. So I bought the grid heater relay myself last week and took it in today to have the local dealer install it. Wanted it documented, or I'd have done it myself. So I hand the service writer the part and he goes to check with the parts dept to make sure it's right. Comes back and says "No, that's the old PN." We had a little discussion about it, as I knew he was wrong. But he said "Don't worry, we have one in stock that we'll put in." I was pretty surprised they did that as I know they have a waiting list for it. I'm on that list.

So I figure what the heck, as long as it's fixed, I don't care who supplies the part. Get it home and check the PN on the new relay against the one I bought, exactly the same part. I guess they are going by the relay number in the recall (CSTP12A1AA), which must be what they have to order. But the actual relay PN is 68606435AB. What a clown show!

I've now learned not to wait for them to call me if I'm on the waiting list. My tranny dipstick recall was fixed the same way. I called them asking about the parts and got a "we have one of those in right now" and I jumped on it. I have one recall left, the particulate filter sensor. They put me on the waiting list of that now, but I'm just going to call them every few days and jump on it when they happen to have one in stock. Seems they put zero effort into contacting folks on the waiting list, and just wait for someone to call in and ask for it. I really wonder if there even is a waiting list or if that is some kind of inside joke at the dealers.

I waited at the dealer for the relay replacement today, and was near the parts dept. A couple came up and asked for a part they had ordered. I overheard them say they'd ordered it months ago, but never got a call when the part came in. It sat there for a while and the parts dept sent it back, since nobody claimed it. So they had to reorder it.

WisHawk

Reaction score
Yes, they will. I ordered one last week from the OEM Mopar site, and received it in a day or two. Came from a Ram dealer about 3 hours away. Having it installed tomorrow.

Thanks to AH64ID for the info on how to do that.
Well here is the email I received. If you know of another place that will take my order PM me.
RecallEmail.jpg.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well here is the email I received. If you know of another place that will take my order PM me.
View attachment 61140.

Interesting. Which part number did you order?

Their website shows the part, 68606435AB, in stock.. but the price is nearly double what I paid.

WisHawk

Reaction score
This is what I ordered and yes, they showed everything in stock at the time I ordered.
I called them and they said they will not sell them even those my vin is in the recall.
So since they have the parts why doesn't my dealer just order from them???? (RamCares)
PartsRecall.jpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I ordered and yes, they showed everything in stock at the time I ordered.
I called them and they said they will not sell them even those my vin is in the recall.
So since they have the parts why doesn't my dealer just order from them???? (RamCares)
View attachment 61147

Try ordering just the 68606435AB, the rest of the parts are recall specific part numbers and not needed for the swap. I am not surprised they cancelled those.

The1adman

Reaction score
The relay is available online from several Ram dealers. My experience is Stellantis will not reimburse you for the relay though. The local dealer wont or can't get the relay to complete the recall and Stellantis refuses to reimburse you if the dealer doesn't do it. Pick your poison, chance the old relay or pay out of pocket.

jebruns

Reaction score
The relay is available online from several Ram dealers. My experience is Stellantis will not reimburse you for the relay though. The local dealer wont or can't get the relay to complete the recall and Stellantis refuses to reimburse you if the dealer doesn't do it. Pick your poison, chance the old relay or pay out of pocket.
That was not my experience. I bought the relay online through the Mopar parts site. It came from a Ram dealer about 3 hours away. I sent the receipt to Stellantis and I had a check in my hand in less than 2 weeks. They covered the tax and shipping on the part also. This was all very recently. I had the dealer install the part (which is another story), so I had the work order to send in along with the receipts.

Last edited:

The1adman

Reaction score
That was not my experience. I bought the relay online through the Mopar parts site. It came from a Ram dealer about 3 hours away. I sent the receipt to Stellantis and I had a check in my hand in less than 2 weeks. They covered the tax and shipping on the part also. This was all very recently. I had the dealer install the part (which is another story), so I had the work order to send in along with the receipts.
So your dealer couldn’t get the relay, you purchased it online and they installed the relay they told you they couldn’t get? I can pretty much guarantee that wouldn’t be an option with my dealer.

Did that process go smoothly? It seems Stellantis just makes it difficult in the hopes people will go away and they save a few bucks.

jebruns

Reaction score
So your dealer couldn’t get the relay, you purchased it online and they installed the relay they told you they couldn’t get? I can pretty much guarantee that wouldn’t be an option with my dealer.

Did that process go smoothly? It seems Stellantis just makes it difficult in the hopes people will go away and they save a few bucks.
Kind of. They told me I had the wrong part. I KNEW they were wrong but they said they just happened to have the right part sitting there, so they'd put it in. I said fine. Got home and compared PNs, same exact part. But the work order didn't specify where the part came from, so worked great. I sold the other relay to a forum member for half what I paid.

Dealer had no issues with installing my part. I made that clear when I set up the appt. Maybe pull the relay out of your truck and take it to the dealer so they can install it?

WisHawk

Reaction score
I also was able to purchase the correct relay through a online dealer.
Went to dealer to have it installed and they refused to do it under warranty/recall.
Said the part needed to be ordered under the truck vin so the recall would clear.
But they would install the part if I wanted to pay for the installation.
If I knew the recall would clear off, I would pay for everything and try for reimbursement through RAM.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I also was able to purchase the correct relay through a online dealer.
Went to dealer to have it installed and they refused to do it under warranty/recall.
Said the part needed to be ordered under the truck vin so the recall would clear.
But they would install the part if I wanted to pay for the installation.
If I knew the recall would clear off, I would pay for everything and try for reimbursement through RAM.

I installed the part, didn’t get refunded, but the recall was cleared thru my dealership.

Try another dealership?

WisHawk

Reaction score
I do have a call in at another dealer, hopefully they will call me back this week.
It's just crazy that these parts are out there but yet customers have been waiting and are still waiting for months to get this recall completed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread