Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grid Heater RELAY Recall (new)

Thisnthat

Reaction score
i contacted about 5-6 different dealerships back in the spring. got on the list at two of them. Talked to one of those back in May and was told I was about 6 weeks away. Couple weeks went by and out of the blue received a text from the other dealership with an appointment date/time. Called them and they said they had all the parts for both recalls.

Odd the way they handled it by scheduling it before even asking, but I showed up on that random tuesday and an hour later it was finished.

Definitely wouldn't only contact one dealer unless you have a long relationship with one where you know you won't get the run-around

Will_T

Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't only contact one dealer unless you have a long relationship with one where you know you won't get the run-around
For many of us there is only one local dealer. For me next closest one is only 45 minutes away but part of the same franchise, so they won't do business with me since I am a customer of the one closest to me. Next 2 dealers 1-1/2 to 2 hours away, then next two are 3-4 hours in opposite directions. And at least two of those are also part of the same franchise.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
For many of us there is only one local dealer. For me next closest one is only 45 minutes away but part of the same franchise, so they won't do business with me since I am a customer of the one closest to me. Next 2 dealers 1-1/2 to 2 hours away, then next two are 3-4 hours in opposite directions. And at least two of those are also part of the same franchise.
Hey Will, I got my GHR swapped out at SJ Denham in Mt Shasta yesterday. Give Kim a call, maybe they can help you. I know it's a little road trip, but the swap takes about 7 minutes and you're back on the road.

Last edited:

Thisnthat

Reaction score

it's all relative. I didn't even contact my local dealer (15 mins away). The nearest dealer I checked with was 45 mins away and the furthest was 2 hrs while only contacting dealers I knew handled quite a few HDs. The two dealers I ended up getting on their "list" were 1hr and 1.5 hr away. I got the recall completed on the one that was 1.5 hr away. In your case, yeah only four dealers within a 2hr radius is pretty limited as I imagine most have 8-10+ within a 120-140 mile radius.

Will_T

Reaction score
Hey Will, I got my GHR swapped out at SJ Denham in Mt Shasta yesterday. Give Kim a call, maybe they can help you. I know it's a little road trip, but the swap takes about 7 minutes and you're back on the road.
Thanks, yes I have considered them but I am stubborn and so far can't accept that I cannot get it done locally. The idea that I need to devote the day to getting there, getting it done, and getting back is frustrating.

Reaction score
I had to call the dealer parts department to see if they had the part in. After months of calling I finally got my name on one and scheduled the recall. There was no list.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Thanks, yes I have considered them but I am stubborn and so far can't accept that I cannot get it done locally. The idea that I need to devote the day to getting there, getting it done, and getting back is frustrating.
Oh yeah, I get that, especially when you buy a vehicle from them. Then it's "Who are you?" I was getting a little frustrated with the owner down here doling out parts and ignoring the list the parts manager put together. Then my K1 snap ring went out in Ft. Bragg and after the dealership over there fixed the transmission they put me on their GHR list and said they'd ship one to me for my local dealer to install. I told the local guys that and all of a sudden one became available. I'm pretty sure the parts and service managers got to the boss and told him to get out of the weeds and let them do their jobs of customer service. Man, I've heard nothing but bad things about your "L" dealership up there. I never even gave them a shot at the last 2 Rams I've bought because of it. Businesses thrive or die on reputation. Good luck going forward.

Will_T

Reaction score
Man, I've heard nothing but bad things about your "L" dealership up there. I never even gave them a shot at the last 2 Rams I've bought because of it. Businesses thrive or die on reputation. Good luck going forward.
Yeah. They have a lot more brands than Ram, but they are the 3rd largest automotive dealer group in the USA. And buying up more all the time. I think it is the business philosophy of kill off the competition rather than be better than the competition.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Yeah. They have a lot more brands than Ram, but they are the 3rd largest automotive dealer group in the USA. And buying up more all the time. I think it is the business philosophy of kill off the competition rather than be better than the competition.
Ya that’s the trend up here in western Canada. One owner group has gobbled up over 50 dealerships, multiple brands. I will not ever buy from them and continue support my independent,one horse dealer. Farm equipment dealerships have fallowed the same business model. Once the competition is eliminated the consumer is screwed.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Ya that’s the trend up here in western Canada. One owner group has gobbled up over 50 dealerships, multiple brands. I will not ever buy from them and continue support my independent,one horse dealer. Farm equipment dealerships have fallowed the same business model. Once the competition is eliminated the consumer is screwed.
My one horse dealer was gobbled up a couple of years ago. Off my list. Hard to find an independant anymore.

Clintock

Reaction score
I called and verified through dealer that they had the part to fix it the grid relay. Affirmative sir we have the part and the diesel particulate filter sensor as well. Scheduled to go get it fixed. I walked out today with only the dipstick and tailgate fixed. They told me they have to order the relay and sensor per vin number. So why the hell they tell me they have them in stock just to tell me they have to order it? Anyone else run into this? For sure I will not go back to that dealer. It’ll burn to the damn ground before I take it back to them.

Ramsomair

Reaction score
I was told the same thing, order by VIN. The dealer did that 5 weeks ago and called me to have it done yesterday, GHR, dipstick tube and vent and a DEF flash.

techman

Reaction score
I had my scheduled about a month out, called the day before, yep we are all set for you. Arrived at the dealership and suddenly they didn't have the part. Service is blaming parts.

I was told by the service manager that he will be special ordering the "part" and when it comes in I will be top of the list, drive in whenever is convenient and I don't even have to get out of the truck apparently.

Finger pointing all over this recall........

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I got my replacement relay in the mail today. I’ll get it installed soon and submit for reimbursement.

Here is a picture of the new and old relay. The outline shows the edges of the internal contact plate for both the +12V and -12V high current leads. Doesn't take rocket science to see the problem with the old design, especially with potential slight variances with placement in manufacturing. Short circuit anyone?

Just occurred to me that this photo is labeled wrong. The two main contacts are both +, one in and one out. There isn’t a negative going thru the relay, only a neg to actuate the relay.

The concept is still the same thou, the input 12+ makes contact with the output 12+ and overheats creating a fire.

Last edited:

CdnHO

Reaction score
The dealership was supposed to call me when they had the parts. Never heard from them. After three more weeks I called them and lo and behold they have a relay and gave me an appointment for next week. Figure it 50/50 that they will actually have it when I bring it in.

WisHawk

Reaction score
Called multiple dealerships, everyone same story" parts on backorder we will put you on a list and call you." It's been over 3 months now.
Tried Ram Cares same story call dealer get on list.
Tried ordering the parts myself (Mopar won't let you) I have spent a lot of energy trying to get this resolved and the recalls done.
I am very fed up with the whole thing. And this definitely will have an impact on any future vehicle purchase.

KneeDeep

Reaction score
Called multiple dealerships, everyone same story" parts on backorder we will put you on a list and call you." It's been over 3 months now.
Tried Ram Cares same story call dealer get on list.
Tried ordering the parts myself (Mopar won't let you) I have spent a lot of energy trying to get this resolved and the recalls done.
I am very fed up with the whole thing. And this definitely will have an impact on any future vehicle purchase.
Just had mine done yesterday. Took 6 months once on order list by dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread