Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINISHED.........Digital Tow Mode Camera Connection from Bumper to Bed

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
I used a farka cable on the camper. I did not need anything from bumper to bed. I tested the entire plug along with their coming from truck. It was all working. The problem was Ram not giving enough cable or at least having an extension as an option?

PrescottNorm

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the intuitive information posted here and in other threads. I've completed my relocation of the camera connection point from bumper to bed and only need a 10' extension for the 40' 5th wheel location. The camera works perfectly and could not be more please coming from the wireless type. Question: is there a setting to keep the camera from changing the view to the lowest down point when the truck is put into reverse?

TommyC

Reaction score
Here is how I made the connection between our fifth wheel and truck until I can come up with a more permanent solution. Over 800 miles and doing great. Don't know how I lived without a rear view camera on our trailer this long.

20220703_125504_HDR.jpg

Bakaruda

Reaction score
Good read, One question. What camera seems to work best with this setup? I need to do this on my travel trailer.

zk-315

Reaction score
Great write up. Joined this forum looking specifically for this mod lol. Thanks.

goviper

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO @RLMandich @Webracin @Patriot Motor Sports USA Cannot thank you all enough for your help and guidance. After reviewing all I decided to make my own bracket to mount from inside my RSI cap. It took a solid week of driving and testing to find the right angle but I am good now for me. Now will fill the hole and make a tiny ridge over the camera to stop the glare. I will send the final pics when done.
What Camera did you go with?

Gearhead

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 3500 with a digital rear view mirror. We tow a 35' 5th wheel trailer, and the camera connections on both the bumper and in the bed. I'm a bit confused...the digital rear view mirror with tow mode seems to have come out in 2022, yet most of this thread was in 2020. So, does the trailer camera kit from RAM send the signal to the digital rear view mirror or do the 12" display AUX inputs. Or can I buy the digital rear view mirror with the tow mode to replace my existing mirror?

Gearhead

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 3500 with a digital rear view mirror. We tow a 35' 5th wheel trailer, and the camera connections on both the bumper and in the bed. I'm a bit confused...the digital rear view mirror with tow mode seems to have come out in 2022, yet most of this thread was in 2020. So, does the trailer camera kit from RAM send the signal to the digital rear view mirror or do the 12" display AUX inputs. Or can I buy the digital rear view mirror with the tow mode to replace my existing mirror?
My bad...it appears you all joined in 2020, but seem to have a 2022 truck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The cameras that plug into your existing connections are for the UConnect screen. You could in theory replace your mirror with a newer one and you’d then have to run the additional video cable to the rear bumper.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can retrofit a trailer tow mirror in place of my digital rear view mirror?
The cameras that plug into your existing connections are for the UConnect screen. You could in theory replace your mirror with a newer one and you’d then have to run the additional video cable to the rear bumper.
They plug into the AUX display on the UConnect screen don't they?

jsalbre

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can retrofit a trailer tow mirror in place of my digital rear view mirror?

They plug into the AUX display on the UConnect screen don't they?
That’s what I just said.

SJJOHNSON57

Reaction score
I have been reading for hours and still cant find where anyone has successfully moved or purchased parts to allow for the connection of the digital rear view for the trailer to the bed of the truck for those of us that have 5th wheels or Gooseneck trailers. Thought I would open up a new post and see if anyone has had success. I have purchased a 10' fakra cable and a 15' TNC RG58 cable to see if it can be added to the 50' cable and maintain image stability, as my setup is a 42' 5th wheel, and I don't think 50' will be enough. Both of these cables work and the image is stable. I personally like the TNC cable as it is more weather resistant and robust compared to the Fakra cable.

Bumper blank part number is 68526870AA ($10.46)

Bumper coax connector
68508681AA ($97.00)

10' Fakra cable - Used for connection on camera side
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7TG6V2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

15' TNC RG58 cable - Used for connection on truck side

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O07116...t_i_093BFMEMPBRKB7ERR5VD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

All complete and works Awesome!!!

1. Remove the entire plug from the bumper (this is done from the back side. Use a flat blade screwdriver and pry up on the metal tabs and it should push through).
  2. Disconnect the Fakra cable from the back of the plug (little tab on the side of the Fakra cable. Just push in and pull).
  3. Under the truck follow the Fakra cable to the bumper brace. There are 2 push pin zip ties holding it in place. Pry up on those to release the cable.
  4. View attachment 32344 Yellow is push pin location and Green is Digital Trailer Rear View (back side of bumper) location.
  5. Route the cable over the frame towards the fender well.
  6. View attachment 32345You can see the 2 push pins (black arrow) and a blue terminator in the picture.
  7. Route the cable to the bed following the yellow arrows in Step 7.
  8. I have not cut the whole yet, as I wanted to make sure the cable was long enough. It is long enough, and this is a picture of the cut I will be doing as well as the cable.
  9. View attachment 32346 Yellow arrow is Fakra cable for Digital Trailer Rear View. Blue arrow shows existing slot in the bed.
  10. View attachment 32347
  11. The measurements for the cuts are:
  12. View attachment 32195
  13. Created a 3d printed spacer as the bed metal is not as thick as the bumper. You can use wood, plastic anything that is 1/4" thick.
  14. View attachment 32348View attachment 32349
  15. View attachment 32350 Spacer installed inside fenderwell (Yellow arrow). Wire tie (Black arrow) for strain relief.

It was an easy fix for those of us that pull 5th wheels and Goosenecks. It took me about an hour to map all this out, and about an hour and a 1/2 of cutting, filing, painting the bare metal, and putting it back together. You can use any material you want to make the spacer, I just have access to a 3D printer, so thought I would use it.

Decided to try a test and connected both the 15' TNC RG58 cable and the 10' Fakra cable to each end of the main cable, so now I have a total of 75' which is more than enough for my 42' 5th wheel.

View attachment 32354 Blue arrow is 10' Fakra Z cable and Yellow arrow is the 15' TNC RG58 cable. Both are listed above.

All looks good with these lengths!

View attachment 32355
How were you able to remove the connector from the OEM cable in order to install the 15' TNC RG58 cable? I'm trying to figure out how that comes apart. Trailer Camera Connector.jpg

Webracin

Reaction score
Hold on to the connector and use a Cresent wrench on the nut to seperate the 2.

mlink

Reaction score
Just returned from a 1,700 mile camping trip - trying out the Tow Mode camera.

Using @Webracin solution, I relocated the connector to the bed wall. The Tow Mode camera was completely stable and sharp throughout the trip - including many hook-ups and unhooks along the way.

My trailer is a 40' 5th Wheel. I started the install at the camera (mounted above the trailer rear window) and then routed the factory 53' cable down to the bellypan, inside the street-side frame rail, up through the battery/generator compartment and up into the pinbox. Then I used 1" split loom to finish the routing - paired with the 7-way Pigtail.

I needed the 15' TNC extension cable (the 10' TNC was not long enough). At the camera, I did not extend the factory harness w/Fakra extension cable as others have done.

On the truck side, I did not extend the truck harness w/12" Fakra extension (to locate the relocated jack closer to the 7 & 12-pin connectors) as others have done,

I used the shortest cable with the minimum number of additional connectors. Worked great!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread