Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINISHED.........Digital Tow Mode Camera Connection from Bumper to Bed

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Fyi....this is for the Digital Trailer Rearview coax connection, not the 12 pin.

The 12 pin on the 2022 is the same.....with 5th wheel prep, the cable is connected in the bed. Without, its connected to the bumper.

I very much understand that. Just making a comment WRT "split connections" that seemed worth mentioning.

HillHD

Reaction score
Yes it already had the Digital rearview. This is for the one that will mount on my 5th wheel camper.

They only put the digital tow connector on the bumper, and none in the bed, where it should be for a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer.

In the pics, I was just showing it works....still have to run the 65' of cable and install the camera on my camper.
Have you attempted the 5th wheel install. I’m curious on how to run the cable through the back wall (around the window). Any pointers?

Webracin

Reaction score
Have you attempted the 5th wheel install. I’m curious on how to run the cable through the back wall (around the window). Any pointers?
I have the 12 pin camera on the 5th wheel now, but will be replacing it with the Digital Rearview Camera. I will be following the same path. The only real way to do it is to run the cable up from the bottom in the middle of the wall and put the camera under the window. I dont have a pic yet, but once the weather starts getting nicer I will go out and get some pics.

Mopar_Mudder

Reaction score
what's the 4 button remote for? install looks good!

Ha good eye. That is for my Roll N Lock bed cover. Was going to try to hard wire a switch in for it, but just easier to mount a remote their since it came with two of them.

Big button operates the cover and one of the small one turns a light on that it on it. Is still might try to wire in the light with the factor switch for the bed lights, would be much nicer.

JLines

Reaction score
Moved mine also this weekend. I didn't want it that low in the bed so I added a 12" extension cable to it.
I was looking for this info and didn't find it earlier so I'm EXTREMELY happy to find this thread. I have a couple questions for you, Did you use anything behind the hole you cut to provide firmer grip with the lugs? Also, with regard to the 12" extension. Did you essentially do a 30 cm Fakra Z extension? I was looking at this one to do the trick: https://smile.amazon.com/StickyDeal...x=fakra+z+extension+cable+30cm,aps,140&sr=8-9

Thanks in advance for your input. I've got to go pick up my 5th wheel after having the cameras installed and want to do this before I go pick it up.

Webracin

Reaction score
I was looking for this info and didn't find it earlier so I'm EXTREMELY happy to find this thread. I have a couple questions for you, Did you use anything behind the hole you cut to provide firmer grip with the lugs? Also, with regard to the 12" extension. Did you essentially do a 30 cm Fakra Z extension? I was looking at this one to do the trick: https://smile.amazon.com/StickyDeal-Volkswagen-Navigation-Telematics-Bluetooth/dp/B08JTYLNLR/ref=sr_1_9?crid=26QJ3B13R47H6&keywords=fakra+Z+extension+cable+30cm&qid=1646182248&sprefix=fakra+z+extension+cable+30cm,aps,140&sr=8-9

Thanks in advance for your input. I've got to go pick up my 5th wheel after having the cameras installed and want to do this before I go pick it up.
If you look at the first post, i have put in both Fakra and TNC cables to extend the length, as well as the dimensions of the spacer for mounting in the bed.

JLines

Reaction score
If you look at the first post, i have put in both Fakra and TNC cables to extend the length, as well as the dimensions of the spacer for mounting in the bed.
Yes, I really appreciate your post and pictures and that has took care of the first steps. But Mopar_Mudder did not provide a lot of details on his job except that he used a 12" extension to put the connector more where I would like to have it myself. Also, I don't have a 3D printer so I was simply interested in what he used. I was thinking of cutting two spacers from paint bucket tops and gluing them together or I've got some old plexiglass as well. I was simply interested in what others are doing ... not to take away from your great post that got this thread started. I really do appreciate it.
In my research for a Fakra Z extender, I also came across a Fakra splitter that I would be interested in whether anyone tries that so that a connector can be on the bumper and in the bed.

Webracin

Reaction score
Yes, I really appreciate your post and pictures and that has took care of the first steps. But Mopar_Mudder did not provide a lot of details on his job except that he used a 12" extension to put the connector more where I would like to have it myself. Also, I don't have a 3D printer so I was simply interested in what he used. I was thinking of cutting two spacers from paint bucket tops and gluing them together or I've got some old plexiglass as well. I was simply interested in what others are doing ... not to take away from your great post that got this thread started. I really do appreciate it.
In my research for a Fakra Z extender, I also came across a Fakra splitter that I would be interested in whether anyone tries that so that a connector can be on the bumper and in the bed.
The Fakra Z I listed will work you can get any length of the Fakra Z as the connectors are universal.

Plastic would make a good spacer, as steel will rust and wood will rot over time. As long as its .25" thick, you should be fine.

As for the bumper and bed option, the square plug is 100 bucks, and the blank is 10. It made more sense to me to buy the blank as I doubt I will by another camera for a different trailer. Now that I have a 5th wheel, I doubt I will go back to a bumper pull.

JLines

Reaction score
Ok, so finally completed mine ... but won't be able to test it until Monday when I pick up my 5th wheel. I did not have a 3D printer so had to innovate a little for the backing place. I came across the base to something I was throwing out and used an oscillating multi-tool to first cut the inner dimensions and then once the connector properly fit into the opening, I traced around the outside of it and made that cut cleaning up all edges with a knife and files as I went. Since the material was 1/8" thick, I then attached 3/8" wide foam weather stripping. Working from the inside out made it easier to hold onto and get things right. There are so many products that are made of plastic. I actually came across several items I could have used when I actually got to looking. The following photo is the base that I cut the spacer from.
IMG_0484.jpeg
Then this is the finished connector with the spacer and weather stripping.
IMG_0482.jpeg
And this is the bed prep. Basically cut a rectangle and used files to cut the notches. Time consuming but worked well.
IMG_0479.jpeg
And then the finished project.
IMG_0483.jpeg
I used the 12" (30 cm) Fakra Z extension cable from Amazon that link was provided for previously.

Pizziola29

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO @RLMandich @Webracin @Patriot Motor Sports USA Cannot thank you all enough for your help and guidance. After reviewing all I decided to make my own bracket to mount from inside my RSI cap. It took a solid week of driving and testing to find the right angle but I am good now for me. Now will fill the hole and make a tiny ridge over the camera to stop the glare. I will send the final pics when done.

Attachments

• IMG_5524 2.JPG
    IMG_5524 2.JPG
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5523 2.JPG
    IMG_5523 2.JPG
    989.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_5525 2.JPG
    IMG_5525 2.JPG
    787.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5527 2.JPG
    IMG_5527 2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5639.JPG
    IMG_5639.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5640.JPG
    IMG_5640.JPG
    407.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5641.JPG
    IMG_5641.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9781.png
    IMG_9781.png
    593.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5526.JPG
    IMG_5526.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 147

Royce Daniel

Reaction score
Likewise! I just finished my install. I used a 25' extension cable on the RV side. When I finished installing the cable from the back of my RV to the generator compartment, I had way to much cable left over combined with the 25' extension. I would have been just fine with a 5' extension. My rig is 44' 2" in overall length. I did however run the cable straight from the 5th wheel pin box via a conduit I installed under the vinyl skin to the generator compartment. From there I ran the cable under the coroplast. Straight line back to the center bumper of my RV.

Camera mounted on back of RV...

20220526_221501705_iOS.jpg

Camera cable docking station on rear of 5th wheel pin box. You can see the grey conduit I ran and caulked off.

20220526_221530301_iOS.jpg

Moved camera port from rear bumper to bed. When I moved the cable underneath the truck... I found that I had PLENTY of slack to put it close to the 7-way without using an extension. I did however decide to move it further down. If I had to guess I had about 2 inches of slack left over if I were to mount it close to the 7-way port. Long enough that the cable would have a gentle bend to it... far from a kink.

20220526_221549820_iOS.jpg

You guys were right... the blank cover was $10. But the shipping was $15... :D

20220526_221555274_iOS.jpg

Normal "rear view" camera mode...

20220526_222817796_iOS.jpg

Trailer "rear view" mode... no issues at all. Image quality is quite nice. No flickering. My only wish is that I could "zoom" out. I can pan the camera up, down, left, right... and tilt it clockwise or counter clockwise.

20220526_222823500_iOS.jpg

Pat Prince

Reaction score
Anyone having issues losing the camera signal with the fakra extensions. My camera will go out after one to four hours and say connection lost needs service. Using a 20ft extension plan to try a shorter one.

RLMandich

Reaction score
Anyone having issues losing the camera signal with the fakra extensions. My camera will go out after one to four hours and say connection lost needs service. Using a 20ft extension plan to try a shorter one.
Are you sure it’s the extension that is causing the issue? There have been some posts about loose connections inside the cab of the truck. The usual culprit seems to be down low behind the driver side passenger seat.

RLMandich

Reaction score
Are you sure it’s the extension that is causing the issue? There have been some posts about loose connections inside the cab of the truck. The usual culprit seems to be down low behind the driver side passenger seat.
*rear seat, not passenger seat.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
OK I just dealt with that exact issue. I had the 20 ft and it was to long but I thought I could wrap it up and just use it. I would have have the camera woking for a few and then quit and give me the service warning for mirror. I ordered a 10 ft cable and tried it today, I was 4 inches short so I had a 2 ft cable still in package and used it too. Everything works like it should. I have not towed with it yet but it worked all morning while kept trying it. I don't know if the 20 ft cable being all wrapped up cause an interference or if it was just bad. I checked it for continuity and it checked out good? Maybe an end was bad, I am not sure. It is working now. The factory cable only got about 70% down the camper so I have to use the extension. I had 7.75 volts at the plug and it has been moved into the bed. There are a lot of things that could have been wrong but I think it was the cable. Either way it is working now.

Pat Prince

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, have my excess wrapped up as well. Going to try the shorter extension. The plug in the cap looks fine. This cable type works as well but attaches on the truck side of the factory harness.

Amphenol CO-058TNCMFRP-015 Black RG58 RP-TNC Coaxial Extension Cable, Male to Female​

Users who are viewing this thread