Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FINISHED.........Digital Tow Mode Camera Connection from Bumper to Bed

Webracin

Reaction score
I have been reading for hours and still cant find where anyone has successfully moved or purchased parts to allow for the connection of the digital rear view for the trailer to the bed of the truck for those of us that have 5th wheels or Gooseneck trailers. Thought I would open up a new post and see if anyone has had success. I have purchased a 10' fakra cable and a 15' TNC RG58 cable to see if it can be added to the 50' cable and maintain image stability, as my setup is a 42' 5th wheel, and I don't think 50' will be enough. Both of these cables work and the image is stable. I personally like the TNC cable as it is more weather resistant and robust compared to the Fakra cable.

Bumper blank part number is 68526870AA ($10.46)

Bumper coax connector
68508681AA ($97.00)

10' Fakra cable - Used for connection on camera side
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7TG6V2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

15' TNC RG58 cable - Used for connection on truck side

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O07116...t_i_093BFMEMPBRKB7ERR5VD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

All complete and works Awesome!!!

1. Remove the entire plug from the bumper (this is done from the back side. Use a flat blade screwdriver and pry up on the metal tabs and it should push through).
  2. Disconnect the Fakra cable from the back of the plug (little tab on the side of the Fakra cable. Just push in and pull).
  3. Under the truck follow the Fakra cable to the bumper brace. There are 2 push pin zip ties holding it in place. Pry up on those to release the cable.
  4. Push Pin Location.jpg Yellow is push pin location and Green is Digital Trailer Rear View (back side of bumper) location.
  5. Route the cable over the frame towards the fender well.
  6. Cable Reroute.jpgYou can see the 2 push pins (black arrow) and a blue terminator in the picture.
  7. Route the cable to the bed following the yellow arrows in Step 7.
  8. I have not cut the whole yet, as I wanted to make sure the cable was long enough. It is long enough, and this is a picture of the cut I will be doing as well as the cable.
  9. Cut1.jpg Yellow arrow is Fakra cable for Digital Trailer Rear View. Blue arrow shows existing slot in the bed.
  10. Cut out.jpg
  11. The measurements for the cuts are:
  12. DTV Cutout.jpg
  13. Created a 3d printed spacer as the bed metal is not as thick as the bumper. You can use wood, plastic anything that is 1/4" thick.
  14. Spacer.jpgSpacer1.jpg
  15. Spacer Installed.jpg Spacer installed inside fenderwell (Yellow arrow). Wire tie (Black arrow) for strain relief.

It was an easy fix for those of us that pull 5th wheels and Goosenecks. It took me about an hour to map all this out, and about an hour and a 1/2 of cutting, filing, painting the bare metal, and putting it back together. You can use any material you want to make the spacer, I just have access to a 3D printer, so thought I would use it.

Decided to try a test and connected both the 15' TNC RG58 cable and the 10' Fakra cable to each end of the main cable, so now I have a total of 75' which is more than enough for my 42' 5th wheel.

Camera.jpg Blue arrow is 10' Fakra Z cable and Yellow arrow is the 15' TNC RG58 cable. Both are listed above.

All looks good with these lengths!

20220219_114446_HDR.png

Last edited:

kkerley

Reaction score
I have yet to see it either and I am wanting to do the same thing. The hang up for me is getting the plug that would go into the bed wall connecting the truck and trailer wiring. The part #s I have found were 68508681AA and 68527599AA. I don’t recall but one I determined was the wrong part and the other said it was discontinued. I was going to wait to get my truck to see if there is a different #. If not I may just take the connector out of the rear bumper and transfer it to the bed. If you find an option or parts please post.

Webracin

Reaction score
Well I have a third one to add to the list (68527158AA) says its discontinued, but is the DRVM Jumper. I got this from a post where a chassis cab was ordered, and this kit is suppose to have a 15' coax and box. Its meant to go from the back of the cab to the back of the truck somewhere since the chassis cab does not have a rear bumper.

68508681AA comes up as discontinued but says its a trailer tow connector. Your other part comes up as not found.

Webracin

Reaction score
Just received the 15' TNC RG58 cable to add in on the truck side and it works perfectly!

Amphenol CO-058TNCMFRP-015 Black RG58 RP-TNC Coaxial Extension Cable, Male to Female, 15' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O07116...t_i_093BFMEMPBRKB7ERR5VD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have ordered the bumper blank, so yhe next step is moving the digital rear view connection from the bumper to the bed. This will take some time, as I am not sure if the cable on yhe truck is long enough.

kkerley

Reaction score
Just received the 15' TNC RG58 cable to add in on the truck side and it works perfectly!

Amphenol CO-058TNCMFRP-015 Black RG58 RP-TNC Coaxial Extension Cable, Male to Female, 15' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O07116...t_i_093BFMEMPBRKB7ERR5VD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have ordered the bumper blank, so yhe next step is moving the digital rear view connection from the bumper to the bed. This will take some time, as I am not sure if the cable on yhe truck is long enough.
have you found the coax connector or are you just going to pull the one from the bumper and use the blank in place of it?

Webracin

Reaction score
have you found the coax connector or are you just going to pull the one from the bumper and use the blank in place of it?
I ordered the blank, so I'm pulling the one from the bumper and moving it to the bed.

kkerley

Reaction score
let us know how it goes, I plan to attempt the same next weekend

Webracin

Reaction score
let us know how it goes, I plan to attempt the same next weekend
Still waiting on some parts, and have been doing some traveling, so hopefully will have some time in the next couple of weeks to give it a shot!

Webracin

Reaction score
Updated post #1 with the steps to move the plug. While mine is not finished 100%, you can see that it is very doable. I will update with pictures once I have it fully installed.

Webracin

Reaction score
Updated post #1 with all the steps I used to move the Digital Trailer Rear View camera connection from the bumper to the bed. It was a lot easier than I thought, so enjoy!

HillHD

Reaction score
Please advise best option for painting the metal after cutting. Would a automotive clear coat in a spray can work? Or is there something better that will last lifetime of the truck. Thanks.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Did your truck already have the digital rearview? I thought those had the ability to "zoom" into the hitch area from the factory?

Where did you mount this camera?

Webracin

Reaction score
Please advise best option for painting the metal after cutting. Would a automotive clear coat in a spray can work? Or is there something better that will last lifetime of the truck. Thanks.
I just used black Krylon primer. 3 coats about 10 min apart, since it wont be seen. Then waited about an hour before I put it back together.

Webracin

Reaction score
Did your truck already have the digital rearview? I thought those had the ability to "zoom" into the hitch area from the factory?

Where did you mount this camera?
Yes it already had the Digital rearview. This is for the one that will mount on my 5th wheel camper.

They only put the digital tow connector on the bumper, and none in the bed, where it should be for a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer.

In the pics, I was just showing it works....still have to run the 65' of cable and install the camera on my camper.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Ah, I see what you mean. I would have thought it was a split connection, or that they had multiple connections. Thanks for the clarification

Diesel_Addict

Reaction score
Yes it already had the Digital rearview. This is for the one that will mount on my 5th wheel camper.

They only put the digital tow connector on the bumper, and none in the bed, where it should be for a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer.

In the pics, I was just showing it works....still have to run the 65' of cable and install the camera on my camper.

Looking forward to seeing how you install on your camper and run the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLMandich

Reaction score
I have been reading for hours and still cant find where anyone has successfully moved or purchased parts to allow for the connection of the digital rear view for the trailer to the bed of the truck for those of us that have 5th wheels or Gooseneck trailers. Thought I would open up a new post and see if anyone has had success. I have purchased a 10' fakra cable and a 15' TNC RG58 cable to see if it can be added to the 50' cable and maintain image stability, as my setup is a 42' 5th wheel, and I don't think 50' will be enough. Both of these cables work and the image is stable. I personally like the TNC cable as it is more weather resistant and robust compared to the Fakra cable.

Bumper blank part number is 68526870AA ($10.46)

Bumper coax connector
68508681AA ($97.00)

10' Fakra cable - Used for connection on camera side
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7TG6V2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

15' TNC RG58 cable - Used for connection on truck side

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O07116...t_i_093BFMEMPBRKB7ERR5VD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

All complete and works Awesome!!!

1. Remove the entire plug from the bumper (this is done from the back side. Use a flat blade screwdriver and pry up on the metal tabs and it should push through).
  2. Disconnect the Fakra cable from the back of the plug (little tab on the side of the Fakra cable. Just push in and pull).
  3. Under the truck follow the Fakra cable to the bumper brace. There are 2 push pin zip ties holding it in place. Pry up on those to release the cable.
  4. View attachment 32344 Yellow is push pin location and Green is Digital Trailer Rear View (back side of bumper) location.
  5. Route the cable over the frame towards the fender well.
  6. View attachment 32345You can see the 2 push pins (black arrow) and a blue terminator in the picture.
  7. Route the cable to the bed following the yellow arrows in Step 7.
  8. I have not cut the whole yet, as I wanted to make sure the cable was long enough. It is long enough, and this is a picture of the cut I will be doing as well as the cable.
  9. View attachment 32346 Yellow arrow is Fakra cable for Digital Trailer Rear View. Blue arrow shows existing slot in the bed.
  10. View attachment 32347
  11. The measurements for the cuts are:
  12. View attachment 32195
  13. Created a 3d printed spacer as the bed metal is not as thick as the bumper. You can use wood, plastic anything that is 1/4" thick.
  14. View attachment 32348View attachment 32349
  15. View attachment 32350 Spacer installed inside fenderwell (Yellow arrow). Wire tie (Black arrow) for strain relief.

It was an easy fix for those of us that pull 5th wheels and Goosenecks. It took me about an hour to map all this out, and about an hour and a 1/2 of cutting, filing, painting the bare metal, and putting it back together. You can use any material you want to make the spacer, I just have access to a 3D printer, so thought I would use it.

Decided to try a test and connected both the 15' TNC RG58 cable and the 10' Fakra cable to each end of the main cable, so now I have a total of 75' which is more than enough for my 42' 5th wheel.

View attachment 32354 Blue arrow is 10' Fakra Z cable and Yellow arrow is the 15' TNC RG58 cable. Both are listed above.

All looks good with these lengths!

View attachment 32355
You sir, are my hero! I've been trying to figure this one out for quite a while now while I wait for my truck & 43' 5er to get delivered. Now at least I have a road map to follow. Thank you.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, unless something has changed, the 12-pin Camera connection will only have one plug connected.

If you have the 5th wheel prep, it's connected to the bed plug. The bumper plug (cable) is capped off. You have to move the cable if you want to switch.

Webracin

Reaction score
Fyi....this is for the Digital Trailer Rearview coax connection, not the 12 pin.

The 12 pin on the 2022 is the same.....with 5th wheel prep, the cable is connected in the bed. Without, its connected to the bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread