Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

tchur1

Reaction score
Well if I drive 20 miles one way up the hwy that’s 19 minutes x 2, 38 minutes a day x 5 days isn’t but 3. something hours between regens. Sound excessive doesn’t it.. now if I go the back roads to the same location that adds 4 miles extra so that’s 24 miles but I’m running only around 50 mph and it will regen quicker and a good estimated guess on hours is 2 since it’s gonna happen in 3 days instead of 5 days. You can smell it before it regens every time. It’s like clockwork
This seems really excessive as others have stated. I also have a 22 3500 w/ HO and my gauge has never moved off of 0, regens happen every 24 hours of drive time. I daily drive mine and have similar driving habits, I dont let it warm up for more then 5-10 mins and then am running 40-50MPH for 15-20 mins at a time when I am not towing.

I dont want to speculate on the issue you may or may not have but I would be concerned with regens happening that frequently.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
The DPF going to 80% means that normal active regens aren't able to compete.

There are no HD 5th gens yet, these are still 4th gen but commonly called 4.5 gen for 19+.

I wouldn't compare it to another excessice truck, simply compare it to what it should be doing.
4th, 4.5, 5th is pretty much irrelevant. As far as comparing one truck to another that would be fine but you really have no idea which truck is operating as designed. Many of us have had conversations about this very thing, we own trucks from 20 to 22, one of the 20’s has 200,000 miles and regens about the same as mine so I feel sure if both trucks are doing the same thing then they must be operating correctly or as designed.
While at the diesel shop asking questions about regens being to frequent he said if the computer thinks is doing it to often it’ll throw a light and code. Mine hasn’t but another buddys 21 has, what ever the dealer did simply turned the light out I believe because it still regens in 1 to 2 days but he idles a lot.
I think another factor is fuel. With other conversations about this most has no problem till imported fuel was at the pump. Is that a culprit ? I believe so. You really have no idea of the fuel rating or the cetain rating.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
This seems really excessive as others have stated. I also have a 22 3500 w/ HO and my gauge has never moved off of 0, regens happen every 24 hours of drive time. I daily drive mine and have similar driving habits, I dont let it warm up for more then 5-10 mins and then am running 40-50MPH for 15-20 mins at a time when I am not towing.

I dont want to speculate on the issue you may or may not have but I would be concerned with regens happening that frequently.
I’m in hope a delete or something will be offered before long. Korey at PPEI is having success with emission intact running on the 19-21 trucks. He says regens are very few and a keg of def will last 10,000 miles. The tune changes the fuel and air mixture to achieve a better burn.

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
4th, 4.5, 5th is pretty much irrelevant. As far as comparing one truck to another that would be fine but you really have no idea which truck is operating as designed. Many of us have had conversations about this very thing, we own trucks from 20 to 22, one of the 20’s has 200,000 miles and regens about the same as mine so I feel sure if both trucks are doing the same thing then they must be operating correctly or as designed.
While at the diesel shop asking questions about regens being to frequent he said if the computer thinks is doing it to often it’ll throw a light and code. Mine hasn’t but another buddys 21 has, what ever the dealer did simply turned the light out I believe because it still regens in 1 to 2 days but he idles a lot.
I think another factor is fuel. With other conversations about this most has no problem till imported fuel was at the pump. Is that a culprit ? I believe so. You really have no idea of the fuel rating or the cetain rating.
I agree why the hang up with some calling it a 4.5 or 5th Gen? All redesigned but the cab mostly from 2019 up.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree why the hang up with some calling it a 4.5 or 5th Gen? All redesigned but the cab mostly from 2019 up.

It’s not a hang up, it’s simply using proper nomenclature. One day a 5th Gen HD will actually be made, so why propagate confusion now.

Ram doesn’t consider it a new generation (3500’s still carry the same D2 code that came out in 2010, and 2500’s the same DJ code), so why would someone intentionally call it the wrong generation?

Big changes in 07.5, but it was still a 3rd Gen. More big changes in 13/14 but they were still 4th Gen. Nothing that changed in 19 was indicative of a new generation truck.

Mikeyram

Reaction score
Very good information.
Forgot to mention in my previous post:

The missing sensor has no effect on the DPF gauge on your truck. The gauge will function as designed, along with the rest of the DPF and SCR (DEF) systems. If your DPF gauge is constantly reading zero, my assumption would be that you are driving the truck in such a manner as to allow it to keep the DPF clean through regular regeneration cycles (both passive and active). You may be missing the active (automatic) regeneration cycle messages, as you have to be on that screen in order to see when the system triggers an active regen. You will see a message in place of the DPF gauge that reads "automatic exhaust system regeneration in progress". That message will remain on the DPF screen until the active regeneration cycle completes. At that time, the gauge should read 0%. It is important to note that there are two types of "cleaning" cycles for the DPF. These are known as regeneration cycles. There are two types: Passive and Active

Passive regeneration occurs naturally while you drive. As long as you keep engine speed and load up, your exhaust gas temperatures will be hot enough that they effectively burn the soot out of the DPF naturally.

Active regeneration occurs when the truck artificially increases the temperature inside the DPF to burn the soot out. This is achieved by using the fuel injectors to dose some fuel into the exhaust stream during the exhaust stroke on the engine. This fuel is then passed down the exhaust stream where it is used to artificially increase the temperature inside the DPF above the threshold so that the soot can be burned out. Active regeneration cycles will occur in two ways. The first is when the DPF differential pressure sensors calculate that there is an amount of soot inside the DPF above a pre-set threshold. When this happens, the active regeneration cycle will begin and will run until the pressures equalize and the gauge reads 0% again. The other way is on a 24 hour engine hour timer. Roughly every 24 hours of engine operation the system will engage the active regen cycle. When an active regeneration cycle is active it will terminate when A) The DPF reaches 0% on the gauge, B) You put the truck in park, or C) You shut the truck off. IF you put the truck in park or shut it off during an active regen cycle, the system will "pause" the cycle. It will then restart the cycle the next time the truck is driven.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
Back to the dpf.
Since last Saturday I’ve been running with the tow/haul on and full engine brake. We made a 2.5 one way trip up to the mountains and I watched the dpf do 3 passive regens throughout the day. I kept the rpm’s upwards of 1800 and everything seemed to work as it should. Sunday I topped off with fuel for my work commute this week. Wednesday the truck did a active regen which I figured was going to happen. Yesterday leaving work I flipped over to the dpf and it was already up 10%, after driving 15 minutes it went up to 20%
Now I’m still driving with the tow/haul, engine brake, and more aggressive then I usually do and it’s doing this within 50miles of resetting the trip when the active regen finished.
I’ve talked to a few people about this and they say try changing the air filter so I ordered a fleetguard last night and will swap it tomorrow. Truck only has 7000 miles on it

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Back to the dpf.
Since last Saturday I’ve been running with the tow/haul on and full engine brake. We made a 2.5 one way trip up to the mountains and I watched the dpf do 3 passive regens throughout the day. I kept the rpm’s upwards of 1800 and everything seemed to work as it should. Sunday I topped off with fuel for my work commute this week. Wednesday the truck did a active regen which I figured was going to happen. Yesterday leaving work I flipped over to the dpf and it was already up 10%, after driving 15 minutes it went up to 20%
Now I’m still driving with the tow/haul, engine brake, and more aggressive then I usually do and it’s doing this within 50miles of resetting the trip when the active regen finished.
I’ve talked to a few people about this and they say try changing the air filter so I ordered a fleetguard last night and will swap it tomorrow. Truck only has 7000 miles on it

Just seeing what I've seen with our fuel here and emissions compliant equipment, be that over the road or tier 4 stuff, try dosing with a heavy shot of HSS Diesel Extreme or the heaviest prescribed dose of Diesel Kleen for a tank or two. I've got to treat non TXLED diesel with either HSS EDT or PowerService at the max rate to keep my DPF clean either watching the trucks DPF gauge or my DPF differential pressure on the iDash on my truck. The better TXLED Diesel I can get across the county line doesn't need dosing, but I still give it a half dose anyways.

I used to be in the fuel additive buisiness and I got out not because it wasn't needed or unprofitable, but because my day to day life needs changed and I had to close that buisiness down. Most of my customers were fuel jobbers or fleets dealing with today's meh diesel (for non TXLED counties anyhow) in modern emissions equipped engines.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
Just seeing what I've seen with our fuel here and emissions compliant equipment, be that over the road or tier 4 stuff, try dosing with a heavy shot of HSS Diesel Extreme or the heaviest prescribed dose of Diesel Kleen for a tank or two. I've got to treat non TXLED diesel with either HSS EDT or PowerService at the max rate to keep my DPF clean either watching the trucks DPF gauge or my DPF differential pressure on the iDash on my truck. The better TXLED Diesel I can get across the county line doesn't need dosing, but I still give it a half dose anyways.

I used to be in the fuel additive buisiness and I got out not because it wasn't needed or unprofitable, but because my day to day life needs changed and I had to close that buisiness down. Most of my customers were fuel jobbers or fleets dealing with today's meh diesel (for non TXLED counties anyhow) in modern emissions equipped engines.
I just ran HSS diesel extreme through it at 6000 miles and I add edt when I fill up. It’s usually 6 squirts of edt since it’s a 50 gallon tank. I’ve done this since the truck arrived in august, does it work ? I’m really not sure. I had thought to try a different brand so I might stop by the local parts store we deal with and see what they have.
I did change the air filter today on recommendation of a few on Facebook . Maybe that’s the culprit as to why mine regens often but I kinda doubt it.

Attachments

• 11BDA745-E0A0-4007-85DC-D212428DDD2E.jpeg
    11BDA745-E0A0-4007-85DC-D212428DDD2E.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 20

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Back to the dpf.

What are your indications of a passive regen?

I have found that passive regen doesn’t happen as well in TH when empty, due to the higher rpms and lower engine load reducing EGT’s and thus reducing DPF temps. The EB does help keep manifold EGT’s up while costing, but also reduces airflow and the massive pressure drop across the turbine has a bigger EGT drop in the exhaust.

Passive regen is all about exhaust heat and flow being high enough to heat the DPF to greater than 600°F, which really comes down to exhaust temp/flow as it enters the downpipe.

Did you note/record the hours at which the active regen was preformed?

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
What are your indications of a passive regen?

I have found that passive regen doesn’t happen as well in TH when empty, due to the higher rpms and lower engine load reducing EGT’s and thus reducing DPF temps. The EB does help keep manifold EGT’s up while costing, but also reduces airflow and the massive pressure drop across the turbine has a bigger EGT drop in the exhaust.

Passive regen is all about exhaust heat and flow being high enough to heat the DPF to greater than 600°F, which really comes down to exhaust temp/flow as it enters the downpipe.

Did you note/record the hours at which the active regen was preformed?
If you watch the dpf gauge you can see the percentage drop as the passive regen happens. You’ll also tell it by the Def consumption.
As for passive regens the only way your going to see them is with long trips and more when pulling a load or strain. Running up the mountains unloaded simply gives you strain and per my experiment with the tow haul engaged my thoughts was possibly a slightly higher egt that would burn the dpf out better.
I’ll jump forward to this week Wednesday thru today with a few pictures . This afternoon noon I flipped to the dpf screen and it’s now up to 30% and I didn’t take a picture because I simply forgot .
The active regen that occurred Wednesday was at 400 miles and that’s when one should occur. As for the dpf soot level now increasing quick that must be from over loading the system using the tow/haul the whole time and keeping the rpm’s upwards of 1,900 instead of 1,400. The truck must just make more soot at 1,900 rpm and the egt’s must not get as high as I thought at that rpm range. Ram really should have incorporated a egt gauge into the cluster but I’ll soon remedy that myself.

As for the engine brake, again it was in hopes the back pressure would keep the dpf blown out but it seems that doesn’t happen ether.

In the pictures you’ll see the dpf percentage which now is up to 30% and a picture of the trip it was currently at with the dpf gauge.
If I had taken a picture today of the 30% and the trip the only difference would have been 38 extra miles and about 40 extra minutes

Attachments

• 2BAFCB42-0618-4A51-B468-AE06598EB7CE.jpeg
    2BAFCB42-0618-4A51-B468-AE06598EB7CE.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 6
  • 7550C9EE-937F-4418-B879-0BDA9639A886.jpeg
    7550C9EE-937F-4418-B879-0BDA9639A886.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 6

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
This whole dpf deal will work out before long, hopefully by summer.
I think theirs to many variables other then driving style coming into play and then the trucks themselves.

Does climate factor in ? Very possible.
Our climate is moderate but someone in a very cold climate may see regens way more often than I do and that’s been mentioned in groups on Facebook.

Does geographic play a roll? Again very possible.
Flat land verses the mountains .

The trucks themselves ? This one I believe to be true.
When you hear guys saying their dpf stays on zero most all the time, 99% that say that are driving a standard with a 68 transmission.
The ones bitching about the dpf like myself have the HO trucks and we know the difference in the two will produce more soot .

flan

Reaction score
I’ve only seen my dpf gauge read up to about 30% only once or twice in almost 20k miles. When I did I was using as a “car”, as I couldn’t drive my 5sp daily driver because I had right shoulder surgery. Other than that I just about never take my truck on short trips, and typically it’s towing or hauling a load. Very cold weather operation is not too common either, it’s usually in the garage on a tender during the winter. I know everyone else can’t pamper their truck like I do but it does go to show operating conditions definitely add up to different dpf actions over time.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you watch the dpf gauge you can see the percentage drop as the passive regen happens. You’ll also tell it by the Def consumption.

Yes you will see the DPF screen decrease, but that doesn't mean it was 3 difference passive regen events. Passive regen is anytime the EGT is hot enough in the DPF to start cleaning it. I see that occur at around 600°F. The lower the temp the less effective passive regen is, so at 650°F it might take 30 miles to clean what could clean in 10 miles at 850°F (generalizations). If you really want to know when passive regens are occuring, or what effect your driving style is having on exhaust temp then get a monitor like the CTS3. EGT3 is the DPF outlet temp, so watch that.

While you could correlate DEF consumption to increased power output, and thus higher EGT's there is no direct correlation on DEF consumption to passive regen, mainly because DEF deals with NOx and the DPF deals with soot. I've seen effective passive regen at 700 mpg DEF and at 350 mpg DEF, just no good correlation there.

As for passive regens the only way your going to see them is with long trips and more when pulling a load or strain. Running up the mountains unloaded simply gives you strain and per my experiment with the tow haul engaged my thoughts was possibly a slightly higher egt that would burn the dpf out better.

I can see passive regen on short trips too, even without a load. Like I said, get a CTS3 and see for yourself.

The active regen that occurred Wednesday was at 400 miles and that’s when one should occur.

Hours are what matters, not miles; however, If one should occur at 400 miles that means you only average 16.mph and explains a lot about why you appear to have DPF issues.

81EE9243-F9C8-45AD-AF78-075A54F4B174.jpeg

As for the dpf soot level now increasing quick that must be from over loading the system using the tow/haul the whole time and keeping the rpm’s upwards of 1,900 instead of 1,400. The truck must just make more soot at 1,900 rpm and the egt’s must not get as high as I thought at that rpm range. Ram really should have incorporated a egt gauge into the cluster but I’ll soon remedy that myself.

It's not overloading the system, it's just moving more air and can run cooler exhaust temps for the same load. That equates to a less effective passive regen, but it's something you should be able to do as many people run TH/EB 100% of the time, with or without a load.

As for the engine brake, again it was in hopes the back pressure would keep the dpf blown out but it seems that doesn’t happen ether.

The backpressure is in the exhaust manifold/cylinders and not in the exhaust.

This whole dpf deal will work out before long, hopefully by summer.
I think theirs to many variables other then driving style coming into play and then the trucks themselves.

Does climate factor in ? Very possible.
Our climate is moderate but someone in a very cold climate may see regens way more often than I do and that’s been mentioned in groups on Facebook.

Does geographic play a roll? Again very possible.
Flat land verses the mountains .

The trucks themselves ? This one I believe to be true.
When you hear guys saying their dpf stays on zero most all the time, 99% that say that are driving a standard with a 68 transmission.
The ones bitching about the dpf like myself have the HO trucks and we know the difference in the two will produce more soot .

Sure climate and geography can play a role. The DPF takes longer to heat up in very cold temps than it does in warm temps, as does the engine. Both of those mean more soot being made and captured. That being said I've had the truck is some very cold temps this winter (as low as -19°F) and even some short trips in those temps and my regen frequency didn't change. I've noticed that once the DPF is warm it retains it's temp fairly well while cruising and does it's normal thing in the cold.

Cold weather active regen's don't seem to take any longer than warm weather ones, or any more fuel. The only environmental thing I have seen really effect regen duration and fuel is a cold rain. With wet roads and temps in the 30's I have seen regens take a bit more fuel than similar temps and dry roads. The evaporative cooling on the DPF/DOC must be substantial.

My truck is an HO and my gauge works as it should, but it's also almost always on zero. All of my regens are engine run time based at this point, as was the same with my '18 HO (thou there are some differences).

HO's don't have to produce more soot than SO's. While it's not granny smith to granny smith, I had lower soot production on my modified 05 that I did on my stock 05. The modified one had lower compression, more airflow, more fuel, and more power. Just pointing out that the HO doesn't have to be making more soot.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
Yes you will see the DPF screen decrease, but that doesn't mean it was 3 difference passive regen events. Passive regen is anytime the EGT is hot enough in the DPF to start cleaning it. I see that occur at around 600°F. The lower the temp the less effective passive regen is, so at 650°F it might take 30 miles to clean what could clean in 10 miles at 850°F (generalizations). If you really want to know when passive regens are occuring, or what effect your driving style is having on exhaust temp then get a monitor like the CTS3. EGT3 is the DPF outlet temp, so watch that.

While you could correlate DEF consumption to increased power output, and thus higher EGT's there is no direct correlation on DEF consumption to passive regen, mainly because DEF deals with NOx and the DPF deals with soot. I've seen effective passive regen at 700 mpg DEF and at 350 mpg DEF, just no good correlation there.

I can see passive regen on short trips too, even without a load. Like I said, get a CTS3 and see for yourself.

Hours are what matters, not miles; however, If one should occur at 400 miles that means you only average 16.mph and explains a lot about why you appear to have DPF issues.

View attachment 52436

It's not overloading the system, it's just moving more air and can run cooler exhaust temps for the same load. That equates to a less effective passive regen, but it's something you should be able to do as many people run TH/EB 100% of the time, with or without a load.

The backpressure is in the exhaust manifold/cylinders and not in the exhaust.

Sure climate and geography can play a role. The DPF takes longer to heat up in very cold temps than it does in warm temps, as does the engine. Both of those mean more soot being made and captured. That being said I've had the truck is some very cold temps this winter (as low as -19°F) and even some short trips in those temps and my regen frequency didn't change. I've noticed that once the DPF is warm it retains it's temp fairly well while cruising and does it's normal thing in the cold.

Cold weather active regen's don't seem to take any longer than warm weather ones, or any more fuel. The only environmental thing I have seen really effect regen duration and fuel is a cold rain. With wet roads and temps in the 30's I have seen regens take a bit more fuel than similar temps and dry roads. The evaporative cooling on the DPF/DOC must be substantial.

My truck is an HO and my gauge works as it should, but it's also almost always on zero. All of my regens are engine run time based at this point, as was the same with my '18 HO (thou there are some differences).

HO's don't have to produce more soot than SO's. While it's not granny smith to granny smith, I had lower soot production on my modified 05 that I did on my stock 05. The modified one had lower compression, more airflow, more fuel, and more power. Just pointing out that the HO doesn't have to be making more soot.
I just know what we see going on with the 6 of us. The HO’s all regen about the same with the exception of the nephews which regens almost daily. Mine and another is around the 6 day mark and the others are standards and their dpf gauge never moves and never shows a active regen.
As for seeing mine do passive regens my trip was a total of 8 hours worth of driving. I could watch the gauge, see it rise and see it fall, did that a total of 3 times . Def usage was evident by the gauge. On that trip I burned 1/4 tank. Talking about Def usage, the nephews uses 3 kegs a month, he’s asked the dealer several times and the story is always the same, it’s working as designed.
You talk about temperature and I understand that. Yesterday evening I changed my air filter, thus morning I started it, let it run about 10 minutes, and drove around 10 minutes up the road. The dpf gauge percentage dropped about 10 which was kinda surprising and I can’t explain that.

I do intend to put a edge monitor in with a egt probe and that’ll probably happen when someone comes out with a delete.
Parts are ordered for the nephews 20 and as soon as a 22 is available I’m doing mine.
People say to wait for the warranty to expire, the emission side of the warranty is nothing but BS and not worth messing with.
The nephews egr went out and the dealer says the emission part of the warranty is out and not part of the 5 year/ 100,000 bumper to bumper.
So if that’s the way they care to handle their warranty I’ll gladly remove the problem..

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I just know what we see going on with the 6 of us. The HO’s all regen about the same with the exception of the nephews which regens almost daily. Mine and another is around the 6 day mark and the others are standards and their dpf gauge never moves and never shows a active regen.
As for seeing mine do passive regens my trip was a total of 8 hours worth of driving. I could watch the gauge, see it rise and see it fall, did that a total of 3 times . Def usage was evident by the gauge. On that trip I burned 1/4 tank. Talking about Def usage, the nephews uses 3 kegs a month, he’s asked the dealer several times and the story is always the same, it’s working as designed.
You talk about temperature and I understand that. Yesterday evening I changed my air filter, thus morning I started it, let it run about 10 minutes, and drove around 10 minutes up the road. The dpf gauge percentage dropped about 10 which was kinda surprising and I can’t explain that.

I do intend to put a edge monitor in with a egt probe and that’ll probably happen when someone comes out with a delete.
Parts are ordered for the nephews 20 and as soon as a 22 is available I’m doing mine.
People say to wait for the warranty to expire, the emission side of the warranty is nothing but BS and not worth messing with.
The nephews egr went out and the dealer says the emission part of the warranty is out and not part of the 5 year/ 100,000 bumper to bumper.
So if that’s the way they care to handle their warranty I’ll gladly remove the problem..

What driving conditions was the DPF gauge rising under? What conditions was it dropping under?

How much idle time in those 8 hours? How many miles?

I could easily burn 1/4 tank of DEF in 8 hours, but that’s irrelevant to what’s going on in the DPF. Don’t try to correlate the two.

3 kegs a month says nothing for DEF usage. Miles? Average mpg diesel? I used that much DEF in October and it was 100% normal.

Your SO examples just tell me they don’t watch the gauge often, as they all regen and indicate so on the gauge… but it’s a quick regen and if you’re not on that screen you won’t see it.

You’re throwing lots of incomplete specs out there and it’s hard to help your situation without all the details.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
What driving conditions was the DPF gauge rising under? What conditions was it dropping under?

How much idle time in those 8 hours? How many miles?

I could easily burn 1/4 tank of DEF in 8 hours, but that’s irrelevant to what’s going on in the DPF. Don’t try to correlate the two.

3 kegs a month says nothing for DEF usage. Miles? Average mpg diesel? I used that much DEF in October and it was 100% normal.

Your SO examples just tell me they don’t watch the gauge often, as they all regen and indicate so on the gauge… but it’s a quick regen and if you’re not on that screen you won’t see it.

You’re throwing lots of incomplete specs out there and it’s hard to help your situation without all the details.
On mine the dpf rises with average driving, non highway, average speed of 60mph. I drive 40 miles per day Monday through Friday. Weekends I may drive 10 to 50 miles but it seems every Monday it has a active regen.
Now when I see it do a passive regen it’s been on highway trips with a average speed of 70mph and it’s usually a hour into the trip when it does the first.

As per the trip last weekend i added one keg of Def which put me at 3/4 a tank.
During the trip it was a total of 12 hours with 8 hours of driving I’d estimate. The truck was ether running or switched off with no idling other then a stop light. The outside temp was 25 degrees and all day the highest it got was 45 degrees for the day.
Per the gauge I could see the percentage go from 30% to 15% then to 0. The Def went from 3/4 to 1/2. The last leg of the trip and almost back home the dpf was back to 15%, it was 35 degrees outside and my average speed was back to a posted speed limit.
The out of the ordinary was I ran the tow/haul the entire time, the engine brake on and my banks pedal monster on sport 7 .
Monday on the drive to work, tow/haul on, engin brake on, pedal monster sport 7, same deal for the drive home.
Tuesday morning was the same as Monday but before pulling from the parking lot at work I looked at the dpf and it was real close to 45% so I knew a regen was coming and it started about 10 minutes later so I drove till it was over. I kinda figured it was time for that one since it was following the mountain trip.
Wednesday started off like Monday, tow/haul, engine brake, pedal monster, repeat for the drive home.
Thursday was again the exact same but on the way I looked at the dpf and it was already up to 20%
Friday I did not turn any feature on but the pedal monster sport setting level 7. Same for the commute home. After I got home I changed the air filter and didn’t leave the house again.
This morning I fired up and idled for 10 minutes, set the pedal monster, drove 6 miles, turned the truck off, went in hot breakfast, fired up the truck 10 minutes later, drove 1.5 miles to the shop, looked at the dpf and it’s back down to 20%
So I just started it up.
Dpf is at 30% again
By the trip it’s went 78.8 miles and it’s been 2:01 hours since I reset the trip after the last active regen and I’ll bet it’ll regenerate Monday morning or after work on the way home.
I believe it’s working as designed because this happens just like clockwork.
I’ll add that now I don’t believe it matters if you drive with the tow/haul on with the engine brake on and aggressive or leave everything off and drive normal, it still does a active regen like it’s on a schedule

John Jensen

Reaction score
I have an HO with an Aisin and I've NEVER seen my DPF gauge go off zero. I don't monitor it 100% because I monitor with an Edge CTS3, but I do look at it frequently

I am not bitching about the DPF because I believe this emissions system is the best Ram has come out with and I like it. It is so much better than my 2016. Why do you say, " we know the difference in the two will produce more soot"? I didn't know that. Soot is a product of the fuel burn quality, not the power. I am tuned and have a very clean burn. Didn't drive it enough in stock tune, maybe stock has a dirtier burn than an SO but I don't think so. Curious as to where you got that info.

Will_T

Reaction score
I have an HO with an Aisin and I've NEVER seen my DPF gauge go off zero. I don't monitor it 100% because I monitor with an Edge CTS3, but I do look at it frequently

I am not bitching about the DPF because I believe this emissions system is the best Ram has come out with and I like it. It is so much better than my 2016. Why do you say, " we know the difference in the two will produce more soot"? I didn't know that. Soot is a product of the fuel burn quality, not the power. I am tuned and have a very clean burn. Didn't drive it enough in stock tune, maybe stock has a dirtier burn than an SO but I don't think so. Curious as to where you got that info.

I agree. I have the 68 with the automatic and it pretty much never goes off zero. It did once but the readings when that happened made no sense at all. Right now, I am just under what should be a 24 hour regen so waiting to see if that happens. I believe it did not regen at the last 24-hour mark but waiting for one more cycle to make sure I did not miss it. The past few months have all been non-towing and non-highway driving. Still the gauge reads zero.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
In our bunch theirs 6 ram trucks, 2 3500 HO trucks, 2 3500 standard trucks, 2 2500 standard trucks.
Mine is one of the HO’s and if you’ve read the post you can see what mine does. The nephews is the other, he drives the crap outta it, tows heavy 75% of the time, regens daily, uses 5 gallons of Def a month.
The other 4 are standards and hardly ever have gauge movement and don’t really know if they regen or not but they have to because they add Def but no where near what we do.

I do feel the HO trucks produce more soot then the standard because of how the engine produces the extra horsepower with internal parts and programming.
Being the HO’s are the best when it comes to fuel efficiency how do you know if a untuned truck is giving a clean burn? Only thing that comes to mind is regeneration frequency.

As far as tuning I can see that giving a cleaner burn and reducing soot. I’ve went as far to ask edge and stealth both if they seen less regens when adding their products and they have no answer probably because they didn’t figure that in when testing the product or lack there of testing.
Now after talking to those to I did talk to Kory at PPEI and he in fact looked at soot build up and regeneration. He sees less regens by 50% and minimal def usage.

Again I wish Ram had incorporated a egt screen after going through the trouble to let you monitor the dpf.
Yes I can add a CTS3 and will when I delete the emission.

Users who are viewing this thread