Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

John Jensen

Reaction score
I thought DEF required deionized water? Which doesn't make any sense from a dollars and cents standpoint since bottled DI water costs more than DEF. But if you've got other motives for dilution and can use distilled water, then it starts to make sense.

So no problems with the distilled water I guess?
You are correct. DEF is Urea and deionized water
Diesel truck owners have been diluting DEF with distilled water since the SRC system was introduced, without problems.
Tuned diesel engines have run 100% distilled water without problems.
Seems like it is true when early on, GDE said that the DEF process cannot tell the difference between deionized and distilled

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I just looked and mine has a plug in the port. I'm a little hesitant to be the guinea pig on the recall service for fear of negative unintended consequences.

I think I'll wait until we start seeing some feedback on results before I get excited about scheduling my service.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I just looked and mine has a plug in the port. I'm a little hesitant to be the guinea pig on the recall service for fear of negative unintended consequences.

I think I'll wait until we start seeing some feedback on results before I get excited about scheduling my service.

It seems that 19-21 trucks have the sensor, so it “should” be a proven software when you get it added. I don’t think that qualifies as guinea pig status.

Thou, it doesn’t seem to hurt one bit to wait.

superjoe83

Reaction score
My 2020 HO manual makes no mention of the particulate sensor. What year and HO or So do you have? Does your manual describe "health"? Can you send a picture or pdf of the page that says what you posted? Not trying to be an ass, just curious and would like to know just what the sensor in question does. I still believe it determines the dosing amount. That Ram was allowed to deliver trucks without it because they set the software to an EPA approved continuous fixed amount of DEF.
I have a '22 HO that is missing the sensor.
The manual calls it DPF efficiently, I've heard it called health in some other literature.
I have attached some pdf's from the service manual, one is the overview of the DEF system, (which as you can see makes no mention of the PM sensor) one is the description of the PM sensor, and one is actually for a diagnosing a fault for the PM sensor, but gives a good theory of operation.

Attachments

• DEF System.pdf
    260.5 KB · Views: 28
  • PM description.pdf
    575.6 KB · Views: 27
  • PM Theory of operation.pdf
    75.9 KB · Views: 28

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a '22 HO that is missing the sensor.
The manual calls it DPF efficiently, I've heard it called health in some other literature.
I have attached some pdf's from the service manual, one is the overview of the DEF system, (which as you can see makes no mention of the PM sensor) one is the description of the PM sensor, and one is actually for a diagnosing a fault for the PM sensor, but gives a good theory of operation.
That’s great stuff!! Thanks for posting that!

Any chance there’s a document like those that explains the theory of operation for the DPF gauge on our trucks?

And, does the service manual explain how our trucks calculate idle vs drive time?

I’ve been trying to find someone on the inside that can get that info for a while.

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
22’ here, individual order and was built in June 22’. A little under 2k miles on it, and that gauge has never showed anything. It did an elevated idle the other cold
morning after a 5 min idle, is the only thing I’ve ever noticed.
Where is this sensor located exactly? I’d like to see if mine has it. I have received no recalls on it. Also, dealer said nothing when I picked it up, and have no paperwork on the issue.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
22’ here, individual order and was built in June 22’. A little under 2k miles on it, and that gauge has never showed anything. It did an elevated idle the other cold
Where is this sensor located exactly? I’d like to see if mine has it. I have received no recalls on it. Also, dealer said nothing when I picked it up, and have no paperwork on the issue.
The sensor that is missing is located just after the SCR. It’ll be the sensor with the green wiring harness labeled #3 in the attached picture below. All 2022 Cummins trucks were shipped without it due to parts supply shortfall. When you look under your truck, what you should see is a hex head plug installed where that sensor is supposed to be. You should have been given a notice from your dealer, see attached copy. C9FEFB7B-B7DC-4269-B83D-53A7E842384E.jpeg3E9C6EA0-A733-48EF-8871-D76EBB3B821C.jpeg

amauri

Reaction score
My 22 3500 is missing both the green wire sensor and the module #1 shown in photos above.

steve49

Reaction score
So, I've been following this issue with the DPF gauge, and in my 2019 CTD I have seen the dash gauge level go up just short of the center and then do a full regen. During some of my drives I've also seen the level go up and down and disappear. When I had my 14 Eco-Diesel, I bought a Linear Logic ScangaugeII to monitor it for regens, and then reprogrammed it to work with my Cummins but hadn't used it yet. Anyway, went on a 100-mile round trip today, and had set up the ScangaugeII to show "STL soot level percentage", "TSA time since last active regen", and "RGN regen on/off". While driving (65mph) the dash gauge went up some and then went down to nothing, then went up to almost the first mark and then disappeared again (passive regen?). The attached photo shows the soot level at 87%, 21 hours since last active regen, so I think when I hit the 90-95% or the 24 hours mark the full regen will occur. This ScangaugeII is a nice little unit and does a number of different functions and is around $170.

gauge.jpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I've been following this issue with the DPF gauge, and in my 2019 CTD I have seen the dash gauge level go up just short of the center and then do a full regen. During some of my drives I've also seen the level go up and down and disappear. When I had my 14 Eco-Diesel, I bought a Linear Logic ScangaugeII to monitor it for regens, and then reprogrammed it to work with my Cummins but hadn't used it yet. Anyway, went on a 100-mile round trip today, and had set up the ScangaugeII to show "STL soot level percentage", "TSA time since last active regen", and "RGN regen on/off". While driving (65mph) the dash gauge went up some and then went down to nothing, then went up to almost the first mark and then disappeared again (passive regen?). The attached photo shows the soot level at 87%, 21 hours since last active regen, so I think when I hit the 90-95% or the 24 hours mark the full regen will occur. This ScangaugeII is a nice little unit and does a number of different functions and is around $170.

View attachment 51330

So far I’m not convinced there is a DPF gauge issue….

On my CTS3 my soot level percentage goes all the way to 100% and stays there for a couple minutes and then an active regen occurs. I’m guessing yours will too, since 87% correlates to 20.88 hours since last regen.

I have noticed watching the percentage that after a regen the lowest I’ve seen it is 9%, but it’s usually higher. It bounces around, depending on driving, from 9-45% until about 12 hours in and then it follows the time since last regen for its percentage. I figure the first 12 hours the DPF soot loading is the driving culprit behind the percentage and the second 12 hours it’s time and this more of a stable reading.

This all will happen with my EVIC DPF gauge staying at 0% if the conditions warrant.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
My soot level percentage goes all the way to 100% and stays there for a couple minutes and then an active regen occurs. I’m guessing yours will too, since 87% correlates to 20.88 hours since last regen.

I have noticed watching the percentage that after a regen the lowest I’ve seen it is 9%, but it’s usually higher. It bounces around, depending on driving, from 9-45% until about 12 hours in and then it follows the time since last regen for its percentage. I figure the first 12 hours the DPF soot loading is the driving culprit behind the percentage and the second 12 hours it’s time and this more of a stable reading.
I monitor regen on/off and soot level percentage on an Edge CTS3. My 2020 3500 HO will regen when the soot level reaches 100% and return to 9% when finished. Once it returned to 6% and the first regen after the HPFP pump replacement it returned to 43%. So far the 100% soot level regens also match the 23-24 hour intervals.

While you are not convinced there is a DPF gauge issue, I have never seen my EVIC gauge move. However, I only look at it occasionally. What I will do is when my Edge shows 95% soot I will watch the EVIC gauge until it says it's regening. Maybe I'll see the EVIC gauge move like yours does. The problem is I won't be tripping in that truck until September.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I monitor regen on/off and soot level percentage on an Edge CTS3. My 2020 3500 HO will regen when the soot level reaches 100% and return to 9% when finished. Once it returned to 6% and the first regen after the HPFP pump replacement it returned to 43%. So far the 100% soot level regens also match the 23-24 hour intervals.

While you are not convinced there is a DPF gauge issue, I have never seen my EVIC gauge move. However, I only look at it occasionally. What I will do is when my Edge shows 95% soot I will watch the EVIC gauge until it says it's regening. Maybe I'll see the EVIC gauge move like yours does. The problem is I won't be tripping in that truck until September.

I can go several 24 hour cycles without my dash gauge showing any movement, in fact I don’t think I’ve seen my dash gauge move in 50+ hours of driving, and maybe closer to 70. I know I’ve saw it pop off zero briefly around the beginning of December and I’ve put over 75 hours on it since the 1st of December.

With the planned driving I have coming up I don’t expect I’ll see it move for many more hours, but things happen too.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I can go several 24 hour cycles without my dash gauge showing any movement, in fact I don’t think I’ve seen my dash gauge move in 50+ hours of driving, and maybe closer to 70. I know I’ve saw it pop off zero briefly around the beginning of December and I’ve put over 75 hours on it since the 1st of December.

With the planned driving I have coming up I don’t expect I’ll see it move for many more hours, but things happen too.
I think I misunderstood when you said, "So far I’m not convinced there is a DPF gauge issue…." and then, "My soot level percentage goes all the way to 100% and stays there for a couple minutes and then an active regen occurs." I thought you meant when your DPF gauge goes to all the way to !00%. My error.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I misunderstood when you said, "So far I’m not convinced there is a DPF gauge issue…." and then, "My soot level percentage goes all the way to 100% and stays there for a couple minutes and then an active regen occurs." I thought you meant when your DPF gauge goes to all the way to !00%. My error.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the readout on the CTS3, not the EVIC.

SeaBee-1

Reaction score

My hours are currently at 60hrs, run and idle total. I’ve watched it periodically while driving and at idle, and never once seen anything register on the DPF gauge, or had any “regen” notice pop up on dash. I’ve only heard it high idle once.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention in my previous post:

The missing sensor has no effect on the DPF gauge on your truck. The gauge will function as designed, along with the rest of the DPF and SCR (DEF) systems. If your DPF gauge is constantly reading zero, my assumption would be that you are driving the truck in such a manner as to allow it to keep the DPF clean through regular regeneration cycles (both passive and active). You may be missing the active (automatic) regeneration cycle messages, as you have to be on that screen in order to see when the system triggers an active regen. You will see a message in place of the DPF gauge that reads "automatic exhaust system regeneration in progress". That message will remain on the DPF screen until the active regeneration cycle completes. At that time, the gauge should read 0%. It is important to note that there are two types of "cleaning" cycles for the DPF. These are known as regeneration cycles. There are two types: Passive and Active

Passive regeneration occurs naturally while you drive. As long as you keep engine speed and load up, your exhaust gas temperatures will be hot enough that they effectively burn the soot out of the DPF naturally.

Active regeneration occurs when the truck artificially increases the temperature inside the DPF to burn the soot out. This is achieved by using the fuel injectors to dose some fuel into the exhaust stream during the exhaust stroke on the engine. This fuel is then passed down the exhaust stream where it is used to artificially increase the temperature inside the DPF above the threshold so that the soot can be burned out. Active regeneration cycles will occur in two ways. The first is when the DPF differential pressure sensors calculate that there is an amount of soot inside the DPF above a pre-set threshold. When this happens, the active regeneration cycle will begin and will run until the pressures equalize and the gauge reads 0% again. The other way is on a 24 hour engine hour timer. Roughly every 24 hours of engine operation the system will engage the active regen cycle. When an active regeneration cycle is active it will terminate when A) The DPF reaches 0% on the gauge, B) You put the truck in park, or C) You shut the truck off. IF you put the truck in park or shut it off during an active regen cycle, the system will "pause" the cycle. It will then restart the cycle the next time the truck is driven.

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
Forgot to mention in my previous post:

The missing sensor has no effect on the DPF gauge on your truck. The gauge will function as designed, along with the rest of the DPF and SCR (DEF) systems. If your DPF gauge is constantly reading zero, my assumption would be that you are driving the truck in such a manner as to allow it to keep the DPF clean through regular regeneration cycles (both passive and active). You may be missing the active (automatic) regeneration cycle messages, as you have to be on that screen in order to see when the system triggers an active regen. You will see a message in place of the DPF gauge that reads "automatic exhaust system regeneration in progress". That message will remain on the DPF screen until the active regeneration cycle completes. At that time, the gauge should read 0%. It is important to note that there are two types of "cleaning" cycles for the DPF. These are known as regeneration cycles. There are two types: Passive and Active

Passive regeneration occurs naturally while you drive. As long as you keep engine speed and load up, your exhaust gas temperatures will be hot enough that they effectively burn the soot out of the DPF naturally.

Active regeneration occurs when the truck artificially increases the temperature inside the DPF to burn the soot out. This is achieved by using the fuel injectors to dose some fuel into the exhaust stream during the exhaust stroke on the engine. This fuel is then passed down the exhaust stream where it is used to artificially increase the temperature inside the DPF above the threshold so that the soot can be burned out. Active regeneration cycles will occur in two ways. The first is when the DPF differential pressure sensors calculate that there is an amount of soot inside the DPF above a pre-set threshold. When this happens, the active regeneration cycle will begin and will run until the pressures equalize and the gauge reads 0% again. The other way is on a 24 hour engine hour timer. Roughly every 24 hours of engine operation the system will engage the active regen cycle. When an active regeneration cycle is active it will terminate when A) The DPF reaches 0% on the gauge, B) You put the truck in park, or C) You shut the truck off. IF you put the truck in park or shut it off during an active regen cycle, the system will "pause" the cycle. It will then restart the cycle the next time the truck is driven.
Super helpful information. Thank you. I appreciate the knowledge gained here, from this group and site!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My hours are currently at 60hrs, run and idle total. I’ve watched it periodically while driving and at idle, and never once seen anything register on the DPF gauge, or had any “regen” notice pop up on dash. I’ve only heard it high idle once.

Fast idle generally has nothing to do the the DPF, but idle regens can idle up to 900 rpms. You would likely see this on your DPF gauge thou. High idle is rated rpm no load (2800 rpms), and there is no factory programming to run high idle without throttle input.

At 60 hours you have had at least 2 regens, maybe more depending on driving style.

As you approach 72 hours total watch the DPF gauge and you’ll likely see a regen message somewhere between 71-73 total hours, unless you have a lot of slow city driving hours.

John Jensen

Reaction score
The regen notice will not "pop up". It will be a message on the DPF gauge, you have to have the gauge loaded to see the message.

Users who are viewing this thread