Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

HAVASU RAM

Reaction score
It's the same screen that shows you the DPF gauge. It will only show a regen while it's active, which under ideal operating conditions is only about 10 minutes of operation every 24 hours of engine run time (0.7% of the time, so easy to miss).
That's awesome info thanks for the reply.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I just leave mine on the DPF gauge, every now and again I glance at it, It will change screen to this. 1672246117060.jpeg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
But your 2011, did not indicate regeneration nor the status of the DPF. (Diesel Particulate Filter)
The DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is for the SCR exhaust treatment. Jan 1 2007 and above Diesel engines required the DPF and DEF was chosen by manufactures to help meet EPA, but was not required. Cummins chose DEF for the regular pickups after 2012 MY, so the 2013 Rams and above have the DEF.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
In all the miles I've put on this truck I've never seen that thanks!
My last ram was a 2011 non def so this is new to me.

As @RVTRKN mentioned the gauge has nothing to do with DEF. To add to his post the DPF gauge didn't start until MY19.

HAVASU RAM

Reaction score
My 2011 was th
But your 2011, did not indicate regeneration nor the status of the DPF. (Diesel Particulate Filter)
The DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is for the SCR exhaust treatment. Jan 1 2007 and above Diesel engines required the DPF and DEF was chosen by manufactures to help meet EPA, but was not required. Cummins chose DEF for the regular pickups after 2012 MY, so the 2013 Rams and above have the DEF.
Yeah, my 2011 did not have def. Just letting everybody know that I'm a newbie to def and the dpf thing

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They did not choose to use DEF it was mandated unfortunately but it did allow them to use less EGR which was the only plus for the DEF system

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. Lots of good and accurate information regarding the passive and active regeneration cycles. Thanks to those that are contributing. I’ll try to add to the conversation and knowledge with something not yet mentioned (as far as I could see):

Regarding the active regeneration cycle; when this occurs, as was stated previously, the truck begins to add diesel to the exhaust stream. The fuel makes its way to the DPF where it combusts. That combustion temporarily increases the temperature inside the chamber to a sufficient degree that the trapped soot is burned out. In order to get the fuel into the exhaust stream, there are only two systems (that I know of) currently in use in diesel engines. The first is by direct injection of the fuel into the cylinder via the primary injectors during the exhaust stroke. This is the system currently in place and functioning within our engines.( It’s important to note this as I’ll reference this again later in this post.) The other method of getting fuel in the exhaust stream is by the use of a separate fuel injector, often referred to as the “7th injector” by OTR truck mechanics. This injector is in place in the downstream exhaust pipe and is fed and metered separately from the primary fuel injectors. A lot of the OTR truck engines use this as opposed to directly injecting the fuel into the cylinder during the exhaust stroke.

Let’s go back to that fuel being injected into the cylinder during the exhaust stroke….If you operate your truck in a mix of different driving scenarios and duty cycles, it’s likely you may sometimes find yourself experiencing an active regeneration cycle during low speed city driving or speeds below highway speed. When this happens, the truck is still injecting fuel into the exhaust stream. As far as I can tell (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong) the truck doesn’t care wether or not you’re on the highway. Its sole purpose at that point is to get the DPF up to temperature in order to complete the active regeneration and bring the soot load back to 0%. It is at these times when you could very well be introducing fuel into your engine oil at a greater than normal rate. This is an important factor to consider when it comes to your engine oil change intervals. If you are not performing oil analysis as part of your routine maintenance, I would suggest you start (especially if you do a mix of highway and local driving). Another factor would be idle time. Try your best not to idle the truck as it will create two issues for your truck, especially in cooler weather. The first is you’ll pass more unburnt hydrocarbons down the exhaust and begin to fill your DPF faster, and the other is you’ll increase fuel dilution in the engine oil again by incomplete combustion. The cylinder temperatures at idle are not high enough to fully combust the fuel. Some will go into the exhaust and some may end up in your engine oil. I recently completed the third oil change on my 22 HO. I took a sample of my oil at this change and sent it to several different labs for analysis. I was hoping to establish a healthy baseline for my truck moving forward. Suffice it to say, I wasn’t expecting a flagged report. I got flagged for 6.4% fuel dilution which is significantly higher than I had expected. As far as I can surmise, I think the primary source at this point has to be the active regeneration during low-speed operation. I’m going to try and track this further, and re-test in about half the normal interval. At this point it’s something to watch, but if it develops into a trend, it’ll be something that I have to address moving forward.

On a different subject: those of you using the aftermarket monitors to watch your regen cycles and DPF data, if you’re seeing a consistent and unchanging “00” reading on your particulate matter sensor, could it be due to the fact that the 2022 trucks were built and shipped without that particulate matter installed ? So you’re just getting a blank reading because there’s no data to draw from? Just a thought….
10AB4F23-FC72-4638-A7C8-8605EE2D6832.jpeg

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the active regeneration cycle; when this occurs, as was stated previously, the truck begins to add diesel to the exhaust stream. The fuel makes its way to the DPF where it combusts. That combustion temporarily increases the temperature inside the chamber to a sufficient degree that the trapped soot is burned out.

There is no combustion process occurring in the DPF, or anywhere in the exhaust for that matter.

The raw diesel oxidizes in the DOC and that’s how the temperature is raised. This occurs before the DPF so that the exhaust temp enters the DPF hot enough to clean the DPF.

On a different subject: those of you using the aftermarket monitors to watch your regen cycles and DPF data, if you’re seeing a consistent and unchanging “00” reading on your particulate matter sensor, could it be due to the fact that the 2022 trucks were built and shipped without that particulate matter installed ? So you’re just getting a blank reading because there’s no data to draw from? Just a thought….

Particulate matter is soot from the combustion process, its not “installed” on any new truck or DPF.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no combustion process occurring in the DPF, or anywhere in the exhaust for that matter.

The raw diesel oxidizes in the DOC and that’s how the temperature is raised. This occurs before the DPF so that the exhaust temp enters the DPF hot enough to clean the DPF.

Particulate matter is soot from the combustion process, its not “installed” on any new truck or DPF.
Thanks for the clarification I appreciate it.

I understand the particulate matter, but there is a sensor in the DPF that measures / monitors that. The 2022 trucks were shipped without it. Would that be the sensor that generates the data that the aftermarket monitors are attempting to read?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification I appreciate it.

I understand the particulate matter, but there is a sensor in the DPF that measures / monitors that. The 2022 trucks were shipped without it. Would that be the sensor that generates the data that the aftermarket monitors are attempting to read?

I’m not following which sensor you are referring to. The DPF loading is measured by the pressure differential across the DPF, and those sensors are there. My CTS3 can read DPF backpressure.

“Shipped without” implies it was supposed to be there, I’m not tracking any missing sensors on my pickup or all ‘22’s.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not following which sensor you are referring to. The DPF loading is measured by the pressure differential across the DPF, and those sensors are there. My CTS3 can read DPF backpressure.

“Shipped without” implies it was supposed to be there, I’m not tracking any missing sensors on my pickup or all ‘22’s.
There is a particulate matter sensor installed in the emissions system that monitors particulate matter in the exhaust stream. I believe, from a previous discussion here with @Jimmy07 the purpose was to monitor the exhaust stream and adjust the dosing of DEF to effectively reduce Nox When the 22 Truck production started, that sensor was not available. Ram applied for a variance with the EPA in order to sell the trucks. They were granted the right to sell the trucks with the agreement they would issue a voluntary recall when the sensors became available again. It is my understanding that every 22 Cummins truck built does not have that sensor (including mine). Previous years have it. Not sure on the 23’s yet as no one has posted on wether or not they have them. I’ll post some pics below. The first shows what the system would look like if everything was present, the next is my current 2022 truck showing the missing sensor, and the third is the document for customer communication that was shown to me when I took delivery of my truck. I was just wondering if that is the sensor that generates the data and that would explain the issue where folks were talking about seeing consistent 00’s for PM on their aftermarket monitors.
B70C6258-2F31-4EF3-9798-F32269067B51.jpeg
23392952-4AF7-4E2B-8835-D179BCDD2F76.jpeg
F5C8255C-CA6E-4188-A67B-C7FC06AE1270.png

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
^^ This right here. The only difference I've noticed on my '22 missing the sensor vs a '20 that was in the family is that the '22s are a little more DEF thirsty under certain driving conditions. The difference isn't all that noticeable and I'll gladly pay for the DEF based on how I've noticed the '19+ trucks command far less EGR than the pre '19 trucks did.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I just found my recall notice. It says my particulate matter sensor may not have been installed during the manufacturing process. It says they will install the sensor and module, reprogram the PCM and attach an authorized modifications label. It references Emissions Recall Y43.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a particulate matter sensor installed in the emissions system that monitors particulate matter in the exhaust stream. I believe, from a previous discussion here with @Jimmy07 the purpose was to monitor the exhaust stream and adjust the dosing of DEF to effectively reduce Nox When the 22 Truck production started, that sensor was not available. Ram applied for a variance with the EPA in order to sell the trucks. They were granted the right to sell the trucks with the agreement they would issue a voluntary recall when the sensors became available again. It is my understanding that every 22 Cummins truck built does not have that sensor (including mine). Previous years have it. Not sure on the 23’s yet as no one has posted on wether or not they have them. I’ll post some pics below. The first shows what the system would look like if everything was present, the next is my current 2022 truck showing the missing sensor, and the third is the document for customer communication that was shown to me when I took delivery of my truck. I was just wondering if that is the sensor that generates the data and that would explain the issue where folks were talking about seeing consistent 00’s for PM on their aftermarket monitors.
View attachment 50073
View attachment 50074
View attachment 50075

Thanks. I will have to look under my '22 and see if it's there or not, but I do know that my DPF gauge on the dash works, or at least appears to work, like it should.

How many folks are saying their aftermarket monitors are showing 0%? I don't recall any, just folks saying their OEM gauge always shows 0%. It takes two sensors, which are still installed, to measure DPF soot loading. A single particulate matter sensor in the exhaust won't be able to tell you the soot loading of the DPF, just the current particulate matter in that portion of the exhaust.

I don't follow the correlation between a particulate matter sensor and DEF thou, as there shouldn't be an effect on the SCR system based on particulate matter. It likely has to do with dosage and probably not overly crucial, which is why they got away without it. I doubt they could do the same with a missing DPF pressure sensor.

I don't recall getting any information at the time of sale on the missing sensor. I'll have to look at the truck when I get it back on Thursday (tailgate recall), maybe it was installed on my late May '22 build.

Talking about this now reminds me that when I was looking at ordering the truck, starting in Sep '21, I was told by a dealership about an impending emissions recall on all the 6.7's that was going to hit around April '22. The order program was showing this as a note/warning while we were attempting to build the truck. When I finally placed the order in Dec '22 that note was gone, so maybe it was planned to be fixed by my build date? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will have to look under my '22 and see if it's there or not, but I do know that my DPF gauge on the dash works, or at least appears to work, like it should.

How many folks are saying their aftermarket monitors are showing 0%? I don't recall any, just folks saying their OEM gauge always shows 0%. It takes two sensors, which are still installed, to measure DPF soot loading. A single particulate matter sensor in the exhaust won't be able to tell you the soot loading of the DPF, just the current particulate matter in that portion of the exhaust.

I don't follow the correlation between a particulate matter sensor and DEF thou, as there shouldn't be an effect on the SCR system based on particulate matter. It likely has to do with dosage and probably not overly crucial, which is why they got away without it. I doubt they could do the same with a missing DPF pressure sensor.

I don't recall getting any information at the time of sale on the missing sensor. I'll have to look at the truck when I get it back on Thursday (tailgate recall), maybe it was installed on my late May '22 build.

Talking about this now reminds me that when I was looking at ordering the truck, starting in Sep '21, I was told by a dealership about an impending emissions recall on all the 6.7's that was going to hit around April '22. The order program was showing this as a note/warning while we were attempting to build the truck. When I finally placed the order in Dec '22 that note was gone, so maybe it was planned to be fixed by my build date? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
There was some discussion on this thread earlier on where they were seeing constant “00” on one of the particulate readings. Not exactly sure now but I remember reading it.

That missing sensor has something to do with dosing DEF. The only way we could figure they got the EPA to agree would be to program the 2022 trucks to dose the maximum amount all the time, that way they’re covered for NoX. No definitive information on that though, just speculating.

Your dealer should have shown you that paper, or at least mentioned it. Ultimately it doesn’t matter because there has been no recall yet anyway. The curious question now is, will the 2023’s be the same way?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There was some discussion on this thread earlier on where they were seeing constant “00” on one of the particulate readings. Not exactly sure now but I remember reading it.

I believe that was with the OEM gauge, and that can be considered normal under many driving conditions.

That missing sensor has something to do with dosing DEF. The only way we could figure they got the EPA to agree would be to program the 2022 trucks to dose the maximum amount all the time, that way they’re covered for NoX. No definitive information on that though, just speculating.

I don't think it's maximum, or even near that, as my CTS3 shows DEF dosage rate and it's still pretty low and my DEF MPG's seem to be on par with the 19-21 HO's, assuming my sensor is missing... which is the golden ticket.

Your dealer should have shown you that paper, or at least mentioned it. Ultimately it doesn’t matter because there has been no recall yet anyway. The curious question now is, will the 2023’s be the same way?
Assuming it's missing on my truck that is correct. My dad and BIL both have '22's, I'll ask if they got the letter it too. My dad's was built 2-3 weeks after mine, but my BIL's was built late '21 or early '22.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just an update to my last post on this kind of confusing topic. As I noted last week in post #55, my evic DPF screen showed something more than 0% for the first time recently when it jumped to about 25%. Then after towing our TT about 40 miles it was back to zero again. So, the towing must have done that. However, the two DPF related parameters shown in the attached photo of my Banks iDash at startup did not change in the same way:

The PM1% (particulate matter%?) has never left zero, even when the evic DPF went to 25%. So not sure what that is reading?? If it never changes, I guess I will take it off the display as it is useless. Unless it is sensing something that should always be at zero% in which case I will leave it. I think I have asked about that parameter before but I don't recall anyone saying definitly what it is. Does anyone know for sure?

The DPFRG parameter (DPFRegen?) has just continued to climb 1% at a time regardless. I thought that was probably just the percentage of the time passed until the next scheduled regen. But I don't think so now as my engine hours are at 143 so it will do the next 24 hour regen in one hour. It has gone 23 of 24 hours which is 96%, not 75% so I don't know what that one is sensing either?? Does anyone?

Thanks.

View attachment 41766
@AH64ID this was the one I was referring to. The PM1% on that banks monitor. Maybe it pulls data from the missing sensor?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
@AH64ID this was the one I was referring to. The PM1% on that banks monitor. Maybe it pulls data from the missing sensor?

His sig says he has a '21, which means the sensor should be installed, correct?

Blythkd1

Reaction score
My order date was December '21, built February '22. I don't remember any notification of missing emissions equipment at time of order or build but the recall notice says FCA's agreement was with CARB, not the EPA and I live in Kansas.

Users who are viewing this thread