Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

Ostracize

Reaction score
You have some documentation backing this up or are we just going “Weekly World News” on this?
Some recipients of the recall have already had it completed and have confirmed it was just a pcm flash. Jury is still out on empirical data regarding Def usage / power effects post flash.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
You have some documentation backing this up or are we just going “Weekly World News” on this?
No actually I don’t. Actually I don’t have a dog in this fight. Mine is a 22’ so not necessary. I just know that under the current regime, I trust NOTHING associated with our government or any of its alphabet agencies.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I keep seeing the statement "Defeat Devices" I find it hard to believe there is any kind of "defeat devices" on any of these trucks, software changes yes but actual devices ???

johanh13

Reaction score
I keep seeing the statement "Defeat Devices" I find it hard to believe there is any kind of "defeat devices" on any of these trucks, software changes yes but actual devices ???

Device; a thing made or adapted for a particular purpose, especially a piece of mechanical or electronic equipment.

My truck is a 2019 with a build date of 11/19... I had the fuel pump recall done in September and I very definitely lost 2MPG on the highway. Was getting 20-21MPG, now getting 18-19. This is on a 700 plus mile round trip, all miles divided by gallons used... Computer usually show a bit more that 1MPG plus...

CdnHO

Reaction score
I SERIOUSLY doubt any new 2024 on the lot will be affected by this.

Cummins has known about the issue for at least 4 years from what we can tell.
If the issue was known in 2019 one would think that Cummins would have addressed it then, thereby eliminating a emissions recall for 2020+. It will be interesting when we get the full story, but then again, the government is involved. LOL

Ostracize

Reaction score
If the issue was known in 2019 one would think that Cummins would have addressed it then, thereby eliminating a emissions recall for 2020+. It will be interesting when we get the full story, but then again, the government is involved. LOL
I'm normally not one for tinfoil hats unless I'm trying to get better signal on my TV.... Buuut, I find it awfully coincidental that they applied so many changes including cp4 for MY19s...
Personally I believe they have known for quite awhile. Staying competitive in HP/TQ increases + EPA restrictions = oil and water.
Higher fuel rail pressures and tighter fuel delivery tolerances are/were needed hence the choice to go with the cp4. I thinks it's all tied together... The 6.7 was probably at its upper limit for power vs emissions production with the aging cp3 and knowing they weren't in compliance with EPA they had to change to cp4 but all along were probably waiting on the newer cp3"v2" which is why the cp4 was only in 19s & 20s then changed again in the 21s.... I believe the newer cp3 just didn't finalize in time before they were forced to update to remain competitive. I doubt this settlement/which year's are highlighted is coincidence.

CdnHO

Reaction score
This all has to do with eliminating fossil fuel engines by 2030, nothing else
That is a pipe dream, only the liberals haven't figured it out yet. They can't even let people turn on air conditioners when it's hot without blowing the fuse. They are putting the cart before the horse. Not saying it's never going to happen but it will take 50 years to improve the infrastructuer and technology to get there.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
They don’t care that it won’t work. They just mandate it and then fly around in their jets and ride in their limousines. Gas powered on top of that. They are spewing regulations out of there so fast, nobody can keep up. Maybe they are trying to get Cummins to leave so they can start importing everything. Just about every sector of manufacturing is moving elsewhere. Not all at once but a few at a time. Wix filters now made in Mexico and FleetGuard filters for our trucks made in Mexico.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
They don’t care that it won’t work. They just mandate it and then fly around in their jets and ride in their limousines. Gas powered on top of that. They are spewing regulations out of there so fast, nobody can keep up. Maybe they are trying to get Cummins to leave so they can start importing everything. Just about every sector of manufacturing is moving elsewhere. Not all at once but a few at a time. Wix filters now made in Mexico and FleetGuard filters for our trucks made in Mexico.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Seems to be the mantra of the majority of elected officials anymore, D's or R's.

It is a challenge to find any of them that truly serve to improve their constituents' lives.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I apologize. I know this is not the place for this. But you just have to vent every now and then. Meanwhile back to our regularly scheduled program.

CJ99X

Reaction score
Oh I still believe they are looking for "defeat" devices, what better way for the EPA to illegally search private vehicles that have been deleted under the guise of a "recall". You are dealing with the most popular engine class for modification.

CdnHO

Reaction score
In Ontario if you want to delete you have to do it within 7 years of new. Better save the parts as after 7 years an emissions test is required every two years to renew your registration. Another advantage to living in Kanukistan. LOL

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
In Ontario if you want to delete you have to do it within 7 years of new. Better save the parts as after 7 years an emissions test is required every two years to renew your registration. Another advantage to living in Kanukistan. LOL
Not true thats only if registered over 4500kg, and its every year now not 2 years, im registered at 4490 so i don't have to do testing or annual safety or testing. One nice thing to be in the north we dont get bothered like you would be lol

Users who are viewing this thread