Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

aaron_huber

Reaction score
It would seem the Justice Department would disagree with you, despite your dismissiveness.
Nope, he had it right. According to the FAQ at https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/fre...olation-clean-air-act-vehicle-emission-system, regarding the 20-23 models:

"Cummins failed to disclose to EPA and CARB other software in these vehicles and in an additional 330,000 vehicles from model years 2019-2023; although this failure to disclose also violated the Clean Air Act, this software calibration did not include defeat device features and therefore did not create excess emissions."

No recall required since there are no excess emissions. They just got fined for "failing to disclose".

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
...so my July built 2019 will be recalled even though I've already done the vb6 ? interesting.

flan

Reaction score
...so my July built 2019 will be recalled even though I've already done the vb6 ? interesting.
Nothing on the ram recall page for my early build ‘19. Seems like most of the pre 19 owners have received their notice.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Interesting update for 13-19 recalled trucks... Looks like those units will get a extended warranty on the emissions components.
From the DOJs site:

Recall and Repair Program

Cummins sought all EPA and CARB emission certifications for the RAM trucks equipped with its engines, even though the trucks were sold by the RAM truck division of Fiat Chrysler and its dealers. The settlement requires Cummins to work with Fiat Chrysler and its dealers on a vehicle recall and repair program that will remove all defeat devices from the affected 2013-2019 RAM trucks free of charge and bring the vehicles into compliance with applicable emissions standards under the Clean Air Act. The repair only involves software updates. Cummins has already started the recall and repair program required by the settlement.

Cummins must repair at least 85% of the 2013-2019 RAM trucks equipped with defeat devices within three years. The company must offer a special extended warranty covering emission control system parts on 2013-2019 RAM trucks that receive the replacement software. Cummins also must test some of the repaired trucks over a number of years to ensure that the trucks continue to meet emissions standards over time.

WRCLVR

Reaction score
Interesting update for 13-19 recalled trucks... Looks like those units will get a extended warranty on the emissions components.
From the DOJs site:

Recall and Repair Program

Cummins sought all EPA and CARB emission certifications for the RAM trucks equipped with its engines, even though the trucks were sold by the RAM truck division of Fiat Chrysler and its dealers. The settlement requires Cummins to work with Fiat Chrysler and its dealers on a vehicle recall and repair program that will remove all defeat devices from the affected 2013-2019 RAM trucks free of charge and bring the vehicles into compliance with applicable emissions standards under the Clean Air Act. The repair only involves software updates. Cummins has already started the recall and repair program required by the settlement.

Cummins must repair at least 85% of the 2013-2019 RAM trucks equipped with defeat devices within three years. The company must offer a special extended warranty covering emission control system parts on 2013-2019 RAM trucks that receive the replacement software. Cummins also must test some of the repaired trucks over a number of years to ensure that the trucks continue to meet emissions standards over time.
So after reading this, it appears that Cummins will provide an extended warranty on the emissions control system post repair. So how will that work? Have to work with Cummins who will tell you to go pound sand and work with FCA...LOL...We cant even get FCA to provide the updated recall 67A here where I live. Also OT but if it does in fact "recalibrate" the amount of DEF injected what are the chances that the dealer turns around and says "oh you need a new DEF valve or whatever and that is not covered" My DEF usage is very low and has been from 2017 when we bought the truck brand new.

Ostracize

Reaction score
So after reading this, it appears that Cummins will provide an extended warranty on the emissions control system post repair. So how will that work? Have to work with Cummins who will tell you to go pound sand and work with FCA...LOL...We cant even get FCA to provide the updated recall 67A here where I live. Also OT but if it does in fact "recalibrate" the amount of DEF injected what are the chances that the dealer turns around and says "oh you need a new DEF valve or whatever and that is not covered" My DEF usage is very low and has been from 2017 when we bought the truck brand new.
My interpretation is that they "cummins" will underwrite the extended warranty through funding and FCA / Stellantis will be the servicing entity. So no difference than if there was an issue requiring an engine change...
The funding behind the scenes might be different but the effect on us end users should be unaffected.
Edit: additionally, this was a settlement agreement between cummins and doj, so cummins has agreed to the terms.

ETX Ram

Reaction score
Just checked the VIN of my 22 model yet again. Nothing showing up in the way of the Cummins recal. Thinking I"m out of the woods on this one from what I've read on the last couple pages of this mega thread. I do FINALLY have an appointment Friday for confirmed part availability of the grid heater relay and the DPF sensor. Hoping the truck goes through less DEF after the sensor install, but not holding my breath.

Ostracize

Reaction score
Just checked the VIN of my 22 model yet again. Nothing showing up in the way of the Cummins recal. Thinking I"m out of the woods on this one from what I've read on the last couple pages of this mega thread. I do FINALLY have an appointment Friday for confirmed part availability of the grid heater relay and the DPF sensor. Hoping the truck goes through less DEF after the sensor install, but not holding my breath.
Unless I've missed something.. 20s-current already have the "corrected" software and shouldn't need the flash that applies to the 13-19 trucks

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Did you look at post #281??

The DPF sensor has nothing to do with DEF.

ETX Ram

Reaction score
I obviously miss that post, but will check it out. Mighty long thread. Thanks

jsalbre

Reaction score
So basically the EPA wants 13-18 trucks brought up to 2024 emissions standards.
No, they want the to meet the emissions standards that were in place when those trucks were built. They’re not making them install anything that wasn’t already supposed to be there.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
No, they want the to meet the emissions standards that were in place when those trucks were built. They’re not making them install anything that wasn’t already supposed to be there.
Just recalibrating everything to the new standard.

Users who are viewing this thread