Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Cummins is a lot larger player in the diesel engine industry and the current regime can’t be seen as a threat to the UAW.

jebruns

Reaction score
I still don't think "cheating" is the right term to be used here. It's not like VW who deliberately gamed the system. This was more of an oversight than anything else, IMO.

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
From what I got out of it, Cummins made changes to the tuning and didn’t report the changes to the EPA/CARB. They were still in compliance but didn’t notify or disclose the EPA of the changes they made.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
All this crap gives me a sick stomach. If the EPA wanted to make the world a better place then they should have made Cummins retro the locomotives with batteries … uh wait that tech won’t work and never will. :rolleyes:

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
I'm in total agreement that this seems much ado about nothing. That's especially true of the 2019+ for sure. It occurs to me though that no company of Cummins size, with all their resources, is gonna take a $1.7b punch to the jaw without fighting back or at least appearing to fight back, unless they've got literally zero chance of winning the fight or they're scared of something coming to light. There must of been something there, even if it was just negligence.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
They have zero chance of winning when they admitted that they had upgraded the tuning, while staying in compliance, without notifying the EPA/CARB. They did not want to spend a year or two in litigation while paying lawyers to try to beat it.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
That's my point exactly. the fact that Cummins took the hit without any fight, is the proof that the EPA's argument was on solid footing and the penalty couldn't be refuted. So I don't get the hate on the EPA in this case... Cummins effed up, got caught, and accepted the punishment without argument. One of those rare cases that a government agency did what it's supposed to do, that a large company made good on an honest mistake without collapsing, and that consumers weren't the ones to take a loss. I'll take it.

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
That's my point exactly. the fact that Cummins took the hit without any fight, is the proof that the EPA's argument was on solid footing and the penalty couldn't be refuted. So I don't get the hate on the EPA in this case... Cummins effed up, got caught, and accepted the punishment without argument. One of those rare cases that a government agency did what it's supposed to do, that a large company made good on an honest mistake without collapsing, and that consumers weren't the ones to take a loss. I'll take it.
If you think for one second that Cummins is going to pay the fines out of their profits, you have no idea how business is done. Any business is going to make a profit or it will not stay in business. No company or business in this country, or the world, is doing what they do or providing the services or products just to give people jobs and paychecks. So if you think we got away with not having to pay the fines, check your invoice next time you buy a Cummins replacement part or spec a Cummins engine in a class 8 truck.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
If you think for one second that Cummins is going to pay the fines out of their profits, you have no idea how business is done. Any business is going to make a profit or it will not stay in business. No company or business in this country, or the world, is doing what they do or providing the services or products just to give people jobs and paychecks. So if you think we got away with not having to pay the fines, check your invoice next time you buy a Cummins replacement part or spec a Cummins engine in a class 8 truck.
BINGO!!

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
True for sure! I had meant that current hd truck owners weren't subject to the hardships the VW and eco diesel folks were forced to go through. Cummins will certainly look to recoup as much of the cost as possible however they can and as quickly as market forces will allow.

jkempken

Reaction score
Yep, it’s all in the consent decree. They have to offset the higher nox their engine calibrations were allowing since MY2013.
Similar to calibrated power solutions consent decree they just signed- $125,000 fine, and replace/repower 2 school buses in the district they’re based out of.
Where did you see Calibrated power got hit by the EPA, I thought they only sell emissions compliant tuning?

Jay P

Reaction score
I can't find anything on Calibrated power being hit by the EPA but it wouldn't surprise me.
What tuners call emission compliant it really just emissions equipment intact. If they were really emissions compliant they would seek CARB approval.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Where did you see Calibrated power got hit by the EPA, I thought they only sell emissions compliant tuning?

Scroll down to the bottom ....

Pitboss44

Reaction score
Saw an article today that claims Cummins was “sneaking software onto trucks that bypass emissions controls, including pollution sensors” as well as
“rigged about 1 million Ram pickup trucks to cheat emissions tests so they looked cleaner than they actually are”
Fwiw the author also says we should be carpooling and biking lol

CdnHO

Reaction score
This would be, (if it is) the third "global warming" in the last quater million years. Yet, here we are. Ask yourself, who stands to financially benefit from so called green initiatives. All the socalled answers never look at the entire pictire from production to expenditure. They only look at the "cherry picked" portion that supports their position. While I have no doubt that we need to reduce our dependance on fossil fuels, the steps need have to be measured and based on science, not emotions and least of all, politics.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Saw an article today that claims Cummins was “sneaking software onto trucks that bypass emissions controls, including pollution sensors” as well as
“rigged about 1 million Ram pickup trucks to cheat emissions tests so they looked cleaner than they actually are”
Fwiw the author also says we should be carpooling and biking lol
I doubt the woke author referenced anything to back up his/her statements. If he/she did, can you post his/her references?
So tired of fake news.

Users who are viewing this thread