Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Word on the street is the recall doers not seem to affect performance or power at all....jus seat of the pants feel of course.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Word on the street is the recall doers not seem to affect performance or power at all....jus seat of the pants feel of course.

Not surprised. It’s way too easy to control NOx with DEF.

Think about it, the highest output Cummins in these trucks came from the factory with the fix already in place. If they can make 420/1075 “fixed” no reason they can’t make a tune for the 13-18’s with advertised power.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Not surprised. It’s way too easy to control NOx with DEF.

Think about it, the highest output Cummins in these trucks came from the factory with the fix already in place. If they can make 420/1075 “fixed” no reason they can’t make a tune for the 13-18’s with advertised power.
From feed back from a couple 2017 owners people shouldn't worry about and Negatives so that's a plus.

ETX Ram

Reaction score
You guys may have already seen this from a guy stating he is a certified Cummins mechanic....

RiverRunner

Reaction score
Oh I still believe they are looking for "defeat" devices, what better way for the EPA to illegally search private vehicles that have been deleted under the guise of a "recall". You are dealing with the most popular engine class for modification.
As a motorcycle rider who, along with my wife, has been engulfed multiple times in a cloud of "rollin' coal" by some deleted jerk - karma shall provide a solution. My bike now has a great forward and rear camera capable of accurately capturing plate numbers.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
As a motorcycle rider who, along with my wife, has been engulfed multiple times in a cloud of "rollin' coal" by some deleted jerk - karma shall provide a solution. My bike now has a great forward and rear camera capable of accurately capturing plate numbers.
All deleted trucks don’t roll coal. Not if they are tuned properly. I’ve run up on some obnoxious bike riders also so you can’t stereotype what people do.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
OLEJOE: I don't know, is it safe to say all trucks that do make black smoke clouds, post 2007.5, are deleated or partially deleated/modified? Stock trucks don't blow out big clouds of smoke.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
OLEJOE: I don't know, is it safe to say all trucks that do make black smoke clouds, post 2007.5, are deleated or partially deleated/modified? Stock trucks don't blow out big clouds of smoke.
A properly tuned deleted truck won’t blow out big clouds of black smoke. You can find idiots in anything. Most of the people that delete their trucks do it because of reliability and the emissions equipment on these trucks is what causes these reliability issues. That’s what this whole thread is about.
If the bike you ride was subject to putting you on the side of the road because of the muffler mandated for it, you would be running a straight exhaust also. And that’s basically what deletes do.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
No, I wouldn't have bought such an ill engineered bike in the first place.......

My 2008 HO Megacab has never had one emission related problem. Never left me on the side of the road. Kind of the way you drive it and maintain it.

RiverRunner

Reaction score
I honestly do feel fortunate, but I've worked at it too. I went in religiously for ECM Flashes when the truck was new. Didn't idle it excessively, used the idle control on the speed control when I could. It's not a daily driver, these days usually hooked up to a 11,500+ toyhauler or on a 50 + mile run. Plus you've got a pass to climb over to go anywhere in Oregon.

b1lanc

Reaction score
So what's with the post 10/1/2019-2023 trucks? Did Cummins 'correct' the PCM tuning? I have to wonder because I had a flash performed based upon an RRT (Rapid Response Transmittal (RRT) 21-027, date of issue March 05, 2021) which seems to address a whole bunch of emission related issues (in addition to the insufficient lubrication during warmup cited in recall W57). The tech that flashed the RRT said it was huge . Did Cummins slip in a 'fix' for the later model trucks? RRT is https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10190691-9999.pdf if anyone wants to have a look.

jebruns

Reaction score
So what's with the post 10/1/2019-2023 trucks? Did Cummins 'correct' the PCM tuning? I have to wonder because I had a flash performed based upon an RRT (Rapid Response Transmittal (RRT) 21-027, date of issue March 05, 2021) which seems to address a whole bunch of emission related issues (in addition to the insufficient lubrication during warmup cited in recall W57). The tech that flashed the RRT said it was huge . Did Cummins slip in a 'fix' for the later model trucks? RRT is https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10190691-9999.pdf if anyone wants to have a look.
According to what was officially released, the 19's had a recall to "fix" the issue. And the 20+ trucks got that from the factory. There was some still some minor thing with the 20+ trucks, but it was something about it did not rise to the level of needing recalled.

b1lanc

Reaction score
According to what was officially released, the 19's had a recall to "fix" the issue. And the 20+ trucks got that from the factory. There was some still some minor thing with the 20+ trucks, but it was something about it did not rise to the level of needing recalled.
The EPA wording is very unclear. This from the EPA web site:

"Additionally, Cummins failed to disclose that those 630,000 vehicles and approximately 330,000 more model year 2019-2023 vehicles included auxiliary emission control devices that Cummins did not disclose as part of the engine certification process." and "Model year 2020 – 2023 vehicles are not subject to the recalls."

Almost sounds like punishment for not telling the EPA that they corrected the 'tuning' but still left the capability to mod it in place.

steve49

Reaction score
The EPA wording is very unclear. This from the EPA web site:

"Additionally, Cummins failed to disclose that those 630,000 vehicles and approximately 330,000 more model year 2019-2023 vehicles included auxiliary emission control devices that Cummins did not disclose as part of the engine certification process." and "Model year 2020 – 2023 vehicles are not subject to the recalls."

Almost sounds like punishment for not telling the EPA that they corrected the 'tuning' but still left the capability to mod it in place.
Thats exactly what it is, their being punished for not advising the EPA and CARB that they had made program modifications, even though the modiifcations remained with the EPA/CARB paramiters. So basically the EPA and CARB say you can make necessary modifcation that remain within parameters, but you have to tell us about it. The fine that Cummins was hit with is extremely excesive for sure!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Yep, it’s all in the consent decree. They have to offset the higher nox their engine calibrations were allowing since MY2013.
Similar to calibrated power solutions consent decree they just signed- $125,000 fine, and replace/repower 2 school buses in the district they’re based out of.

Users who are viewing this thread