Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What is this cab mount issue I keep hearing about? I looked at another thread on the forum and seems it's the sound of loose bolts rattling around, is that what you're talking about? I notice a bit of a "clunk" when I hit potholes and stuff, initially thought it may be part of my Thuren suspension but wondering now if it relates to the body mounts?

Most of these clunks are the cab mounts.

All I keep hearing is, "We know, we don't have a fix."

There are threads here, best to use advanced search button at the top of the page to find them.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have heard on here some people having good luck torqueing them to 90ft lbs and no more clunk though i have not done it yet

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've been wrong before but I seriously doubt FCA will have techs pulling camshafts to change out injection pumps. Time will tell when details of the pump recall become available.
I am saying the same thing…. They will do engine swaps before engine teardowns in my experience

bigcitymike

Reaction score
I am saying the same thing…. They will do engine swaps before engine teardowns in my experience
No way in hell are they doing engine swaps on 260k (US) trucks. Even before the recall, on a glitter bombed claim,they were swapping fuel system components not replacing engines.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No way in hell are they doing engine swaps on 260k (US) trucks. Even before the recall, on a glitter bombed claim,they were swapping fuel system components not replacing engines.
In the recall it mentions engines…. And the only reasonable thought is they will tear in to the engine to swap the timing case…

bigcitymike

Reaction score
In the recall it mentions engines…. And the only reasonable thought is they will tear in to the engine to swap the timing case…
A lot of this is speculation, but there's already aftermarket CP4 ---> CP3 swap that doesn't require the timing cover to be replaced. It uses a collar adapter to mount up. Dude mentions this in the clip below.

CP4 ---> CP3 Swap

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
A lot of this is speculation, but there's already aftermarket CP4 ---> CP3 swap that doesn't require the timing cover to be replaced. It uses a collar adapter to mount up. Dude mentions this in the clip below.

CP4 ---> CP3 Swap
Yes speculation but aftermarket CP3 is not the same as the new pump (CP3 variation but not a traditional cp3) they currently use and FCA wont ever run an aftermarket stroked out overdriven pump….

UglyViking

Reaction score
Yes speculation but aftermarket CP3 is not the same as the new pump (CP3 variation but not a traditional cp3) they currently use and FCA wont ever run an aftermarket stroked out overdriven pump….
Just as a counter, they ran an overdriven CP4, so I don't see the huge difference. Also, the "new CP3" is, to my understanding basically the same thing, maybe a few minor internal tweaks, but it mounts the same.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
It wasn't a vacation, I moved my household and toys 1800 miles three times. I wasn't scared as some members have mocked, but it is a chore to find top fuel brands in the middle of nowhere when your only getting 8 MPG and a small tank. From the beginning of my ownership, I have kept immaculate fuel records, and only pump top brands that I have credit cards for as an added warranty protection. I also warmup truck before driving it, never go below 1/4 tank. (As noted, small tank and even smaller if you do not go below a 1/4 tank.) As far as swapping out to the new pump, If the latest version of the CP4.2 is being recalled, then it will be the new CP3 version.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just as a counter, they ran an overdriven CP4, so I don't see the huge difference. Also, the "new CP3" is, to my understanding basically the same thing, maybe a few minor internal tweaks, but it mounts the same.
The CP4 is not overdriven ford runs 36,000psi gm ran 34,000psi where we run 29,000psi Bosch rates the CP4 at 2700 bar (39k ish psi)

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I hope they give us a Christmas present and tell us what IS actually going to happen with the recall. Might be a shiny new bike….might be a lump of coal! :oops:
I guess if it is coal I could try to get it to burn on the floor boards to try to keep from freezing to death on a -40 night when the C4 crapps.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I hope they give us a Christmas present and tell us what IS actually going to happen with the recall. Might be a shiny new bike….might be a lump of coal! :oops:
I guess if it is coal I could try to get it to burn on the floor boards to try to keep from freezing to death on a -40 night when the C4 crapps.
If its a bike i would demand its a shiny red so it atleast looks like im going fast!

Sstiller

Reaction score
The few ppl that did do the cp3 swap did you all turn in the forum for reimbursement? How did it work out? Just kinda wondering. Would rather not take my truck to the dealer. My truck went on a diet rather quickly after I got it so I try to keep it away as best as possible. So if the cp3 swap folks had good luck with reimbursement I was thinking maybe go that way? I'm not very patient on somethings lol

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My warranty is not worth the CP3 aftermarket solutions, If Ram hadn't of recalled the CP4.2, I would have converted day 1 without warranty. So hopefully it gets changed, without motor replacement with a certified rebuilt motor, as I only have 27K miles on the odometer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The few ppl that did do the cp3 swap did you all turn in the forum for reimbursement? How did it work out? Just kinda wondering. Would rather not take my truck to the dealer. My truck went on a diet rather quickly after I got it so I try to keep it away as best as possible. So if the cp3 swap folks had good luck with reimbursement I was thinking maybe go that way? I'm not very patient on somethings lol

The recall hasn't started yet so there's not going to be anyone that received any sort of reimbursement.

clawdog79

Reaction score

I’m planning on submitting my receipts for the CP3 swap as soon as the recall is released. Will posts updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread