Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have data that shows Bosch is footing a large part of the cost? I don't necessarily doubt it but statements without fact are opinions.

I would guess they would just replace the timing cover with the updated design, and swap to the CP3. According to a quick google it looks like it's 2.4 hours (on a 2010) to replace the timing cover. That's obviously a decent amount of extra work for every vehicle, but it must pale in comparison to the AC TSB that requires taking apart the whole dash. (which I also need to get done)

Time will tell and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as much as we want it done right, FCA also wants to just put this behind them, get the "win" and move on.

They're going to be in mine anyway (eventually) to fix an oil leak, so while I'm pessimistic overall given the (IMHO) ambiguity of the recall verbiage, I'm trying to be optimistic about this as a final solution.

It IS possible to hold two thoughts.

UglyViking

Reaction score
They're going to be in mine anyway (eventually) to fix an oil leak, so while I'm pessimistic overall given the (IMHO) ambiguity of the recall verbiage, I'm trying to be optimistic about this as a final solution.

It IS possible to hold two thoughts.
The "Final solution" didn't workout well for the last guy that tried it, just sayin…

TonyT

Reaction score
Youtube is not where i would be going for any actual info as they just produce guess work to get more views and content to fund their adventures
I would hope you don't. Just simply stating my source.

Here's a video with a great explanation of the fuel system, what causes the issues, the solutions aftermarket companies are offering, and what 5th Gen models have.

bigcitymike

Reaction score
That's obviously a decent amount of extra work for every vehicle, but it must pale in comparison to the AC TSB that requires taking apart the whole dash. (which I also need to get done)
When they do the AC TSB, heavily suggest they replace the heater core. Don't ask me how I know. Just read about my adventure (including pics) with the service dept while getting the AC TSB done, AND the heater core replaced AND interior carpet replaced.

AC TSB Experience

UglyViking

Reaction score
OK, I'll admit I had to look that up. But why on earth is it relevant in this conversation?

SMH.
It's not at all, I just have dark humor and figured others may also have dark humor and get a chuckle.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I just sweated out 3 trips at 1800 miles each, and was very picky about my fuel purchases, top brands only. Looked up my VIN on Mopar, and it has the recall. I'm just glad the pump didn't fail. 1st trip, Havasu AZ to Bowling Green KY at @ 20K GCVW, back to Vegas empty and back to Bowling Green KY at @ 15K GCVW. Thank God no issues with pump.

I liked the linked Video, he mentioned when changing fuel filters, to do 4 to 7 key strokes to purge air from system, I did 10 key strokes. Truck fired up without a hiccup.

I'm hopeful we get the newest version of the CP3 with the recall.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I just sweated out 3 trips at 1800 miles each, and was very picky about my fuel purchases, top brands only. Looked up my VIN on Mopar, and it has the recall. I'm just glad the pump didn't fail. 1st trip, Havasu AZ to Bowling Green KY at @ 20K GCVW, back to Vegas empty and back to Bowling Green KY at @ 15K GCVW. Thank God no issues with pump.

I liked the linked Video, he mentioned when changing fuel filters, to do 4 to 7 key strokes to purge air from system, I did 10 key strokes. Truck fired up without a hiccup.

I'm hopeful we get the newest version of the CP3 with the recall.
With 4% failure rate you dont need to be worrying that much also nothing you do can prevent it dirty fuel wont hurt it as the truck filters it all out

UglyViking

Reaction score
With 4% failure rate you dont need to be worrying that much also nothing you do can prevent it dirty fuel wont hurt it as the truck filters it all out
4% failure rate is low, but consider that the trucks aren't that old. We are talking at most trucks that are a hair over 3 years old. I'm curious what their chart of replacements over time looks like, and if the replacement trend follows the sales trend, or if it follows more closely to an age/mileage trend. It's unlikely we will ever know, but interesting to think about.

Thorvald

Reaction score
Good news for us Canadians, it's also located on the Transport Canada website:

Recall Details
Transport Canada Recall # 2021-691
Recall Date 2021-11-12
Last Updated 2021-11-23
Notification Type Safety Mfr
System Fuel Supply
Issued by FIAT CHRYSLER AUTOMOBILES
Manufacturer Recall Number Y78
Units Affected The number of vehicles or components affected by the recall. 20,539
Category Light Truck & Van, Truck - Med. & H.D.
Recall Details
Issue:
On certain vehicles equipped with a 6.7 L Cummins diesel engine, the high-pressure fuel pump could fail. If this happens, you may notice a change in engine performance, a fuel leak, or the check engine light may turn on. This could also result in a sudden loss of engine power while driving.

Safety Risk:
A sudden loss of engine power could increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Actions:
FCA Canada will notify owners by mail and instruct you to take your vehicle to a dealer replace the high-pressure fuel pump and update the powertrain control module software. Additional fuel system parts may be replaced, if necessary.

---

Now we wait with crossed fingers to find out what exactly they are going to do (please CP3 or anything other than a CP4 lol).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Do you have data that shows Bosch is footing a large part of the cost? I don't necessarily doubt it but statements without fact are opinions.

I would guess they would just replace the timing cover with the updated design, and swap to the CP3. According to a quick google it looks like it's 2.4 hours (on a 2010) to replace the timing cover. That's obviously a decent amount of extra work for every vehicle, but it must pale in comparison to the AC TSB that requires taking apart the whole dash. (which I also need to get done)

Time will tell and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as much as we want it done right, FCA also wants to just put this behind them, get the "win" and move on.
Timing cover is simple but not what needs to be changed its the timing case where you have to pull the camshaft out to do that its not a fun job in chassis

UglyViking

Reaction score
Timing cover is simple but not what needs to be changed its the timing case where you have to pull the camshaft out to do that its not a fun job in chassis
I don't know why I was thinking that, good catch. I didn't realize you had to pull the camshaft for that, in which case I totally agree.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

True, for some reason I knew that but didn't think of mentioning it.

FWIW, They pull the cab if they have to go that deep or swap the engine.

Maybe they'll have a cab mount fix by January.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Yea for the 1.5 hrs it takes to pull the cab its worth it…. When i bring mine in for the new pump id most likely pull my plow wiring out because last time they ripped pins out of the connector when they had to fix a broken wire instead of disconnecting the connector they just pulled on it….

UglyViking

Reaction score

What is this cab mount issue I keep hearing about? I looked at another thread on the forum and seems it's the sound of loose bolts rattling around, is that what you're talking about? I notice a bit of a "clunk" when I hit potholes and stuff, initially thought it may be part of my Thuren suspension but wondering now if it relates to the body mounts?

Users who are viewing this thread