Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Greetings,
Ram has issued a new Recall (Y78), for 2019-2020 heavy duty trucks. The remedy is a new High Pressure Fuel Pump along with a Powertrain Control Module software update. Once the necessary parts are available, we'll sure to follow up with additional information.

Rob
Ram Cares

Cummins3

Reaction score
Greetings,
Ram has issued a new Recall (Y78), for 2019-2020 heavy duty trucks. The remedy is a new High Pressure Fuel Pump along with a Powertrain Control Module software update. Once the necessary parts are available, we'll sure to follow up with additional information.

Rob
Ram Cares
What is the new pump????????

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jeffn

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks.

Looks like I have a "Y78" recall against my rig. Called Ram and they acknowledged the recall but said they don't have parts in yet. They expected parts to be available in January.
that is the lug nut recall. They have not had parts, as near as I can tell, ever for this recall and yet they keep sending me letters nagging me about getting my truck in for the recall service.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
You can use the link below to check for open recalls for your vehicle.

Rob
Ram Cares

Silverbeard

Reaction score
that is the lug nut recall. They have not had parts, as near as I can tell, ever for this recall and yet they keep sending me letters nagging me about getting my truck in for the recall service.
It looks like Y78 is is for the fuel pump.

Attachments

• BAD5E641-7085-4D80-96AC-F9BCF39DADC8.png
    BAD5E641-7085-4D80-96AC-F9BCF39DADC8.png
    263.6 KB · Views: 37

jeffn

Reaction score
It looks like Y78 is is for the fuel pump.
thanks! They added that yesterday because I was on the site in the AM and saw just the lug nut recall. Today, fuel pump and lug nuts… parts not available for either

Lumpskie

Reaction score

Here's the description:
"Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

A high pressure fuel pump failure may introduce internally failed component debris into the fuel system potentially causing fuel starvation. Fuel starvation may result in an unexpected loss of motive power, which can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.

Repair Description

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to replace the HPFP, update the Powertrain Control Module ("PCM") software, and inspect and, if necessary, replace additional fuel system components."

jeffn

Reaction score
Here's the description:
"Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

A high pressure fuel pump failure may introduce internally failed component debris into the fuel system potentially causing fuel starvation. Fuel starvation may result in an unexpected loss of motive power, which can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.

Repair Description

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to replace the HPFP, update the Powertrain Control Module ("PCM") software, and inspect and, if necessary, replace additional fuel system components."
guess you missed my reply above yours

UglyViking

Reaction score
From what the youtubers are reporting back, it will likely be the same as the 2021 models. Its MOPARS updated CP3 pump with tweaks to produce more pressure than the old CP3 used in prior years.
Hope that is the case, and that is what I've argued for in the past as well, however I'm starting to get a bit concerned. Why would FCA not just state that? It seems like there would be no downside to saying something like "we will be replacing the pump with an updated design based off the pump found in the 21+ trucks" or the like.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hope that is the case, and that is what I've argued for in the past as well, however I'm starting to get a bit concerned. Why would FCA not just state that? It seems like there would be no downside to saying something like "we will be replacing the pump with an updated design based off the pump found in the 21+ trucks" or the like.
Minimal details prevent legal issues

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
From what the youtubers are reporting back, it will likely be the same as the 2021 models. Its MOPARS updated CP3 pump with tweaks to produce more pressure than the old CP3 used in prior years.
Youtube is not where i would be going for any actual info as they just produce guess work to get more views and content to fund their adventures

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I also have concerns given the ambiguity of the current recall info provided.

Hopefully, they're not just slapping some RTV on it and calling it good.

jeffn

Reaction score
I also have concerns given the ambiguity of the current recall info provided.

Hopefully, they're not just slapping some RTV on it and calling it good.
doesn’t seem ambiguous at all, according to the recall notice:

”FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to replace the HPFP, update the Powertrain Control Module ("PCM") software, and inspect and, if necessary, replace additional fuel system components.”

Replace the fuel pump. It is entirely possible that they would replace the pump - not update it - with a new variation of the CP4, but why when they have already abandoned that design ’21+? The most logical path would be to use the new fuel pump with the updated ECM firmware. Bosch is footing a big chunk of the expense, totally makes sense to use a part already in production versus doing a new part that is only applicable to 2 model years.

UglyViking

Reaction score

”FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to replace the HPFP, update the Powertrain Control Module ("PCM") software, and inspect and, if necessary, replace additional fuel system components.”

Replace the fuel pump. It is entirely possible that they would replace the pump - not update it - with a new variation of the CP4, but why when they have already abandoned that design ’21+? The most logical path would be to use the new fuel pump with the updated ECM firmware. Bosch is footing a big chunk of the expense, totally makes sense to use a part already in production versus doing a new part that is only applicable to 2 model years.
Do you have data that shows Bosch is footing a large part of the cost? I don't necessarily doubt it but statements without fact are opinions.

I would guess they would just replace the timing cover with the updated design, and swap to the CP3. According to a quick google it looks like it's 2.4 hours (on a 2010) to replace the timing cover. That's obviously a decent amount of extra work for every vehicle, but it must pale in comparison to the AC TSB that requires taking apart the whole dash. (which I also need to get done)

Time will tell and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as much as we want it done right, FCA also wants to just put this behind them, get the "win" and move on.

jeffn

Reaction score
Do you have data that shows Bosch is footing a large part of the cost? I don't necessarily doubt it but statements without fact are opinions.

I would guess they would just replace the timing cover with the updated design, and swap to the CP3. According to a quick google it looks like it's 2.4 hours (on a 2010) to replace the timing cover. That's obviously a decent amount of extra work for every vehicle, but it must pale in comparison to the AC TSB that requires taking apart the whole dash. (which I also need to get done)

Time will tell and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as much as we want it done right, FCA also wants to just put this behind them, get the "win" and move on.
common business practice in the auto industry that the supplier shares the recall expense. It pushed Takata into bankruptcy. You can see this extraordinary expense in financial statements for the tier 1 suppliers but with Bosch it is less transparent because they are a private family-owned company. They have already been named in the various lawsuits, which will inevitably be settled now that the recall has been issued, which confirms the defect.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

"HPFP" is ambiguous at best if they don't specify the part numbers or model.

They could be replacing Asymmetrical CP4.2 with Symmetrical CP4.2 for all we know.

jkempken

Reaction score
"HPFP" is ambiguous at best if they don't specify the part numbers or model.

They could be replacing Asymmetrical CP4.2 with Symmetrical CP4.2 for all we know.
I would argue against them going to 4.2 symmetrical. I have the symmetrical on my truck (September 2020 Build) and have an active Y78 recall on the Mopar app. No one really knows until the release the PN's and a repair/replace procedure.

RPS1030

Reaction score
replace the HPFP, update the Powertrain Control Module ("PCM") software, and inspect and, if necessary, replace additional fuel system components.”

The ambiguity/negativity comes from this being essentially the same wording as the prior service solution and the tsb related to replacing failed asymmetrical pumps with symmetrical.

Users who are viewing this thread