Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

Nstalter1979

Reaction score
Welcome to HDRams. Please do follow up on the result of their finding. If t's not a CP4 failure, please delete or amend your post.
Just got a call from dealer it is the CP4 fuel pump, they are estimating 2-6 months for part availability!

str_8_shot

Reaction score
Been there...sorry to hear its still happening to owners (every dealership should have at least one symmetrical CP4 on hand) or FCA should step up and help us out. After all these failed CP4’s 4-5 months down time is ridiculous, they know owners are gonna need them ... While I understand the guys who haven’t had a failure might, the ones of us that have had a CP4 failure will not be made whole, by a FCA “fix” that’s supposedly in the works. I lost time and money because of this poorly designed FCA, CP4 experiment.

These CP4’s will also affect trade-in and resale values, my trucks Carfax is almost 4 pages long already. It’s one of the first questions asked every time I talk with someone about selling it.

Last edited:

GBB

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that (although not really that surprised). They can't tell you what the issue is until they have fully investigated what the problem is. Once they confirm that it's the CP4 failure they'll order the parts, and depending on back orders, it will likely take about a month or so for those to come in. Once they have the parts it's a quick repair - probably two days or so and then it's done. Eventually you'll get your truck back.

I'm pretty sure I'll be trading in my Ram once the 2022 Ford F250's come out (with hopefully an upgraded interior).
I wouldn’t jump the gun...Ford has their own problems cp4’s and heard about some problems with the trannies in their HD trucks

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I wouldn’t jump the gun...Ford has their own problems cp4’s and heard about some problems with the trannies in their HD trucks
A family friend, while I was riding with him, was bragging on how well his 2019 Ford towed, and the transmission skipped a few gears then slipped what seemed to be awhile, while turning a corner, It suddenly got silent.

Xflight29

Reaction score
A family friend, while I was riding with him, was bragging on how well his 2019 Ford towed, and the transmission skipped a few gears then slipped what seemed to be awhile, while turning a corner, It suddenly got silent.
Grass always seems greener on the other side until they get there.

WXman

Reaction score
Just got a call from dealer it is the CP4 fuel pump, they are estimating 2-6 months for part availability!

Question that's probably already been answered somewhere in this 8 page thread... Are you guys who are without use of your trucks for 2+ months looking into lemon laws? I know they vary from state to state, but here where I live if your truck is inside 12 months of age and the dealership can't fix the truck within 30 days, it's considered a lemon.

str_8_shot

Reaction score
Question that's probably already been answered somewhere in this 8 page thread... Are you guys who are without use of your trucks for 2+ months looking into lemon laws? I know they vary from state to state, but here where I live if your truck is inside 12 months of age and the dealership can't fix the truck within 30 days, it's considered a lemon.

Can’t speak for others, but yes I did. Filed suit in September 2020, still waiting for the case to be resolved with FCA. Mine happened in the first 6 months/ 6k miles, and I was without the vehicle from July- November 2020.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck, and year and date of build? Most CP4.2 failures seem to be with low mileage, thats why I'm wondering.

I'm just at 14,550 miles on my 2019, and just performed my first fuel filter change today. I cycled the key 10 times to make sure the air was purged from the fuel system. Truck fired up as if I never opened the system. I'm worried that air getting to the CP4.2 could cause premature failure. I'm willing to bet the dealer techs are quick to start the truck after the filter change.

Nstalter1979

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck, and year and date of build? Most CP4.2 failures seem to be with low mileage, thats why I'm wondering.

I'm just at 14,550 miles on my 2019, and just performed my first fuel filter change today. I cycled the key 10 times to make sure the air was purged from the fuel system. Truck fired up as if I never opened the system. I'm worried that air getting to the CP4.2 could cause premature failure. I'm willing to bet the dealer techs are quick to start the truck after the filter change.
My truck has 10,599 miles on the truck, I purchased the truck June of 2020.

GBB

Reaction score

From everything I’ve read the problem is lack of lubricity in our diesel. Europeans running same engine have a 1% failure rate on CP4’s vs 7~9% for The US. they have better diesel.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
From everything I’ve read the problem is lack of lubricity in our diesel. Europeans running same engine have a 1% failure rate on CP4’s vs 7~9% for The US. they have better diesel.
Its more seems like a poor machined casting larger bore allowing for the lifter to rotate over time, and lack of lube does not help it though from what i can tell if its gonna go out it will be at lower millage

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Its more seems like a poor machined casting larger bore allowing for the lifter to rotate over time, and lack of lube does not help it though from what i can tell if its gonna go out it will be at lower millage

No disagreement but lifter/pump shaft rotation is only one failure mode.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My truck has 10,599 miles on the truck, I purchased the truck June of 2020.
I'm sweating out the low miles, but at least you'll get the upgraded pump. I hope they convert to the CP3, by the time my pump fails, if it does.

You all need to put more miles on your trucks.

I drive a company van, so my Ram just sits at the curb, which reminds me it needs a detail. I only tow with it mostly, but I try to drive it on weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread