Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

Hoffmann

Reaction score
Went to change the fuel filters in my 2019 with 36k miles and had glitter in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. It's going to the dealership tomorrow. I'm curious what they are going to do considering the truck still runs fine. But obviously metal in the filter housing is not normal and will cause problems at some point.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Went to change the fuel filters in my 2019 with 36k miles and had glitter in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. It's going to the dealership tomorrow. I'm curious what they are going to do considering the truck still runs fine. But obviously metal in the filter housing is not normal and will cause problems at some point.
keep in mind Its not uncommon to see metal in a filter from some fuel stations i hope thats what it is for you

RVTRKN

Reaction score
keep in mind Its not uncommon to see metal in a filter from some fuel stations i hope thats what it is for you
Thats why I only purchase fuel from only three brands, with their credit cards as backup for receipts. I'm not saying that their fuel is perfect, but at least there is a better chance of clean dry fuel, and if not, I have more recourse in getting reimbursed for damage.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The bowl your referring to, is that the bottom cap to the rear filter?

flan

Reaction score
If glitter made it to your fuel filter from the CP4 your truck would not be running right now. More than likely sediment from the filling station.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
If the truck is running fine I wouldn't go to the dealer. It is probably going to be fuel contamination and you don't want that on your truck's record. That is one of the ways they deny service for the CP4 glitterbombing.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I just turned 30k miles on mine. 20k of those tuned. running strong!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
If your running a tune, warranty is gone. Change over to a CP3 conversion kit before it grenades, $20K is a expensive repair.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Glitter in the Fuel Control Actuator is the sign of a failing CP4 if you really want to poke around and find out. It's also the first thing the Ram tech will pull and examine.

jkbell

Reaction score
Glitter in the Fuel Control Actuator is the sign of a failing CP4 if you really want to poke around and find out. It's also the first thing the Ram tech will pull and examine.
Should I be concerned...that is sarcastic.

I took my 2019 (33K mikes) to the dealer because of a vibration in the dash at 1500rpm. They told me the pump is failing, the repair parts are difficult source, and the last truck they fixed took three months to get back on the road. I use my truck for income, hauling travel trailers across country.

The dealership offered a car to drive around town (a joke to a truck owner) and FCA has denied truck rental assistance so I can get back to work. 72 hours into this repair so far has been a disaster.

jkbell

Reaction score
In April I bought my 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman HO Aisin dually, forget the build date. And I now have 5000 miles on it. I did buy bumper to bumper coverage for 7 years or 100000 miles. So I feel I hedged my bet.

I have also asked on other boards for folks who have 2019+ diesel RAM trucks. No one has reported issues. Scientific or proper statistical analysis? Nope. But neither are the numbers or failures reported on this board.

How many reported failures are on this board? What percentage do they represent of the numbers of diesels built and sold by RAM?

I have insurance to attempt to protect my stuff and i as best as I can. If it occurs, would it suck? Probably. Will it happen? I don't know.
Why cast doubt about the problem?

My 2019 Bighorn HO is down, and I've been told may take months to source repair parts. I use my truck for income, hauling travel trailers, and so far Chrysler Corp. is offering nothing to help me get back on the road.

This fuel pump issue is catastrophic to the reputation of the Cummins, the Ram brand, and to the small business owner, period.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Why cast doubt about the problem?

My 2019 Bighorn HO is down, and I've been told may take months to source repair parts. I use my truck for income, hauling travel trailers, and so far Chrysler Corp. is offering nothing to help me get back on the road.

This fuel pump issue is catastrophic to the reputation of the Cummins, the Ram brand, and to the small business owner, period.

@RamCares

Cseybert

Reaction score
I was at the dealership getting some software updates on my 2019 Cummins. I asked the service manager about the pumps he said he has quite a few come in. pretty much three months downtime.

clawdog79

Reaction score
And this is exactly why I just did a CP3 conversion. Losing the warranty is the least of my concerns at this point. I can’t be without a truck for 3 months. FCA really screwed the pooch with this. The very least they could do is offer a rental truck when this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Clawdog79
Mind sharing the cost of doing the CP3 conversion?
Also, can I correctly assume this will void the warranty?

I bought my truck from what I would consider to be a large dealership with a "commercial/fleet" salesman. I emailed him this morning about the pump failuers, and to his credit, he returned my email saying "there's a re-flash for this"..... I'm like "huh"??? A "reflash"?

I'm at a little over 10,000 miles. No issues. I have done a fuel filter change ahead of schedule, but had no knowledge of the pump failures until this week. I just ordered a gallon of the forum-suggested lubricity additive.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Farmer, there are some recommendations if you haven't read any. Never run your truck while filling tank, never go below 1/4 tank. My personal method, I always warm up my truck, and never race it, not that I would. I keep all receipts and log all fuel purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread