Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

flan

Reaction score
The Denso is not immune to failure.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I wonder if the FASS lift pump system and filters would prevent a CP4 failure?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The failure is a mechanical one inside the pump. You can lube it up and give it the best conditions, but eventually it comes down to whether or not that lifter is going to spin in the bore or not. Once it catches and turns it's over.

cobradvm

Reaction score
So here's a final update on this story, I finally received a response from FCA regarding reimbursement of expenses incurred from the fuel pump failure. I had submitted around $730 in expenses directly related to the failure. This included accommodation, towing, car and truck rental, Uber rides, and so forth. Just recently received a check from FCA for $560 which was about $560 more than I was expecting! Anyway, just wanted to let folks know that if you do incur expenses related to the fuel pump failing, make sure you keep all receipts!

WXman

Reaction score
Lawrenceburg was the servicing dealership.

Ahhh... that explains a lot. I live 5 miles from them and won't even step on their lot because of all the horror stories I've heard from friends in the car business. I drive to Shelbyville as my #1 choice, and if for some reason I can't use them I go to one of Bob Allen's dealerships in either Frankfort or Danville. These people in Lburg are crooks. It's a real shame.

Did you ever get your truck fixed? How did it end up?

str_8_shot

Reaction score
Ahhh... that explains a lot. I live 5 miles from them and won't even step on their lot because of all the horror stories I've heard from friends in the car business. I drive to Shelbyville as my #1 choice, and if for some reason I can't use them I go to one of Bob Allen's dealerships in either Frankfort or Danville. These people in Lburg are crooks. It's a real shame.

Did you ever get your truck fixed? How did it end up?
I originally purchased it new from Shelbyville.

I finally got it back around Nov 4th from the CP4 failure. I was driving it home and the radio, backup camera and gps stopped working (again)... now I’m waiting on parts again. December 30th will mark a year of ownership, and it’s been in the shop almost 6 months of that year.

Last edited:

Foster

Reaction score
While true in a literal sense, I didn't buy a Bosch pickup. Ram/Cummins made the decision to use a component that has a history as a KNOWN PIECE OF CRAP for ten years or more. They get the black eye.
Heres a little tid bit I learned a while back. When i called cummins about my pump issue they told me they cant touch that engine, they couldn't tell me why but, they did say this: Remember the customer is always right, and that I should bug ram till they do something.
In 20011 Chrysler filed bankruptcy, so Fiat bought Chrysler, after Chrysler filed bankruptcy, the contract between cummins and Chrysler was null and void, anyways Chrysler aka fiat now, came to cummins with a new contract that stated that they cant touch that engine only ram can. Used to, if u had a issue with a cummins engine you could take it to cummins and they would do the warranty, with that new contract they cant.

D

Deleted member 80

Heres a little tid bit I learned a while back. When i called cummins about my pump issue they told me they cant touch that engine, they couldn't tell me why but, they did say this: Remember the customer is always right, and that I should bug ram till they do something.
In 20011 Chrysler filed bankruptcy, so Fiat bought Chrysler, after Chrysler filed bankruptcy, the contract between cummins and Chrysler was null and void, anyways Chrysler aka fiat now, came to cummins with a new contract that stated that they cant touch that engine only ram can. Used to, if u had a issue with a cummins engine you could take it to cummins and they would do the warranty, with that new contract they cant.
For the 15+ years I have been around the CTD world Chrysler has been providing their own warranty for the engines, leaving Cummins out of the warranty loop, unlike the traditional commercial truck business.

str_8_shot

Reaction score
I did back in March after I hit 35 days in 4 months of ownership, FCA has denied buyback twice already. My lawyer is not sure what FCA is trying to do here as I'm going on 69 days out of service. If anyone else is pursuing lemon law or MSRP swap you are in for a fight with FCA. My lawyer thinks they are trying to use Covid as their excuse.

I’m in the same situation, hope the best for you. Mines been dragging out since July 2020... It’s a big FU, for being a customer if you ask me. Customer loyalty is a thing of the pass.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I wish i could get my hands on a failed pump and spec it out, my guess is the ones that fail have the lifter bore oversized by a thou or 2 that allows it to turn, they could have very easily had a keyed lifter with a broached bore so the lifter could never turn that would be one well designed pump that would last a long time if they really wanted to keep using a roller style lifter...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish i could get my hands on a failed pump and spec it out, my guess is the ones that fail have the lifter bore oversized by a thou or 2 that allows it to turn, they could have very easily had a keyed lifter with a broached bore so the lifter could never turn that would be one well designed pump that would last a long time if they really wanted to keep using a roller style lifter...
The pump should never have been designed with the rail supply and cooling supply one and the same. It needs to be spilt like the CP3 or bypassed like the Ford kits that are available.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The pump should never have been designed with the rail supply and cooling supply one and the same. It needs to be spilt like the CP3 or bypassed like the Ford kits that are available.
I understand that... its very similar to the vp44 issues the lubrication and heat cycling causing failures, of course they are very different failures and designs but same cause (heat and lube) seems like every second injection pump they try is junk one step forward one step back

Nstalter1979

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7. Fuel pump went out I believe on Friday. Talked to the dealer and I have asked if it the fuel pump that has failed and they told me they can’t confirm at this time as they are waiting on hearing back from Chrysler!! They can’t tell me anything as of yet until they confirm with Chrysler, this is piss poor customer service. I only have 10,500 miles on this truck.

cobradvm

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7. Fuel pump went out I believe on Friday. Talked to the dealer and I have asked if it the fuel pump that has failed and they told me they can’t confirm at this time as they are waiting on hearing back from Chrysler!! They can’t tell me anything as of yet until they confirm with Chrysler, this is piss poor customer service. I only have 10,500 miles on this truck.
Sorry to hear about that (although not really that surprised). They can't tell you what the issue is until they have fully investigated what the problem is. Once they confirm that it's the CP4 failure they'll order the parts, and depending on back orders, it will likely take about a month or so for those to come in. Once they have the parts it's a quick repair - probably two days or so and then it's done. Eventually you'll get your truck back.

I'm pretty sure I'll be trading in my Ram once the 2022 Ford F250's come out (with hopefully an upgraded interior).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Welcome to HDRams. Please do follow up on the result of their finding. If t's not a CP4 failure, please delete or amend your post.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that (although not really that surprised). They can't tell you what the issue is until they have fully investigated what the problem is. Once they confirm that it's the CP4 failure they'll order the parts, and depending on back orders, it will likely take about a month or so for those to come in. Once they have the parts it's a quick repair - probably two days or so and then it's done. Eventually you'll get your truck back.

I'm pretty sure I'll be trading in my Ram once the 2022 Ford F250's come out (with hopefully an upgraded interior).
Ford is a turd

Users who are viewing this thread