Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Fuel pump failure at 7200 miles and 6 months into ownership of my 2020 Ram 2500.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Farmer, there are some recommendations if you haven't read any. Never run your truck while filling tank, never go below 1/4 tank. My personal method, I always warm up my truck, and never race it, not that I would. I keep all receipts and log all fuel purchases.
... no issue running the truck while filling and even with the needle on empty there is still about 5 gallons in the tank....

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Thanks, I have been running diesels since the early 90’s, never had an engine failure. Wondering why (if) pump failure so high in Ram versus Ford running same pump. I usually keep tanks at least 1/4 full and change fuel filter ahead of schedule.
Not denying there’s a higher than acceptable pump failure rate, just taking things with a bit of skepticism. Feel compassion for those who lost their trucks for long periods.

clawdog79

Reaction score
Clawdog79
Mind sharing the cost of doing the CP3 conversion?
Also, can I correctly assume this will void the warranty?

I bought my truck from what I would consider to be a large dealership with a "commercial/fleet" salesman. I emailed him this morning about the pump failuers, and to his credit, he returned my email saying "there's a re-flash for this"..... I'm like "huh"??? A "reflash"?

I'm at a little over 10,000 miles. No issues. I have done a fuel filter change ahead of schedule, but had no knowledge of the pump failures until this week. I just ordered a gallon of the forum-suggested lubricity additive.

The CP3 conversion kit from Industrial Injection cost me just under $2600 (using promo code). Install was another $500. So $3100 total. S&S Diesel also offers a conversion kit. I’m guessing the conversion voids the warranty but I’m more concerned about losing my truck for 3 months than I am about losing the warranty. There is no reflash to prevent a CP4 failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVTRKN

Reaction score
... no issue running the truck while filling and even with the needle on empty there is still about 5 gallons in the tank....

Why chance it? I have always ran my truck while fueling, but with the CP4.2, I'm being overcautious. The theory is small air bubbles can enter the pump not allowing proper lubrication while running. It's the reason I run the air purge cycle after a fuel filter change at 10 cycles of the ignition before I start the truck.
Is the S&S Diesel conversion kit any cheaper?

You also need to consider and calculate the loss of the warranty, any engine or injector failure after the conversion, you can bet FCA will deny warranty. I'm a luckier member here, because I only use my truck for pleasure, so down time is not a big issue. The day my warranty is up, if I haven't traded it in for 2021, the conversion kit will be installed. I need to figure in the cost of conversion, to the cost of trading it in.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Why chance it? I have always ran my truck while fueling, but with the CP4.2, I'm being overcautious. The theory is small air bubbles can enter the pump not allowing proper lubrication while running. It's the reason I run the air purge cycle after a fuel filter change at 10 cycles of the ignition before I start the truck.
The thing is if the pump is going to fail it will fail there is nothing you can do for it put some lube in the fuel and be done with it, also any bubbles the lift pump picks up wont make it to the injection pump going through 2 filters

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Why cast doubt about the problem?

My 2019 Bighorn HO is down, and I've been told may take months to source repair parts. I use my truck for income, hauling travel trailers, and so far Chrysler Corp. is offering nothing to help me get back on the road.

This fuel pump issue is catastrophic to the reputation of the Cummins, the Ram brand, and to the small business owner, period.
Hi @jkbell, we are sorry to hear about the delay you are experiencing while your vehicle is in service. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may look into this further for you-- thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Cheaper is the reason we are dealing with the CP4.2 lol get the “cheaper” mindset out of your head when dealing with diesels
Thanks. I have been running diesel equipment since the mid 80’s and presently have about 1/2 million invested in diesel powered pieces of equipment and trucks, so thanks, but I am well versed.

Last edited:

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
You also need to consider and calculate the loss of the warranty, any engine or injector failure after the conversion, you can bet FCA will deny warranty. I'm a luckier member here, because I only use my truck for pleasure, so down time is not a big issue. The day my warranty is up, if I haven't traded it in for 2021, the conversion kit will be installed. I need to figure in the cost of conversion, to the cost of trading it in.
That’s probably the way to look at it.
Some days I wish my Ram had the 8.3L Cummins in my Case-IH Magnum in it, if you know what I mean....

Last edited:

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Hi @jkbell, we are sorry to hear about the delay you are experiencing while your vehicle is in service. Please send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may look into this further for you-- thank you!

Kathryn
Ram Cares
My 3500 Cummins is out with a less minor repair than a fuel pump, but we're going on two weeks because of the part. The loaner Ram the dealer gave me doesn't have the tow capacity I need to run my business, so I've had to rent an HD truck from Enterprise. I contacted FCA about rental reimbursement and it sounds promising, but I have to wait until the repair is done and then submit all documentation. If I'm not reimbursed, I'll never buy another FCA product again and I've owned 9 Rams.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
My 3500 Cummins is out with a less minor repair than a fuel pump, but we're going on two weeks because of the part. The loaner Ram the dealer gave me doesn't have the tow capacity I need to run my business, so I've had to rent an HD truck from Enterprise. I contacted FCA about rental reimbursement and it sounds promising, but I have to wait until the repair is done and then submit all documentation. If I'm not reimbursed, I'll never buy another FCA product again and I've owned 9 Rams.

Parts supply chain is broken. So is it FCA's fault the suppliers to the suppliers are not supplying?

carl2591

Reaction score
Heck, I knew folks that owned 6.0 Fords that didn't blow up ;-)

Its not that they "blew" up it the egr coolers got clogged and you are sitting on the side of the road waiting on the tow truck.. happens to a guy I know in the middle of california 1200 mile from home... had it towed in than then taken to bulletproof guys in vegas and 7K later had a now good truck. he only had like118K on the truck a 2007 they bought new. With the 6.0L it was not a matter of if but when.. there are many that went many mile with not a problem adn i dont think they did any kind of additives in fuel or oil which was a problem with the injectors in cold weather..

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its not that they "blew" up it the egr coolers got clogged and you are sitting on the side of the road waiting on the tow truck.. happens to a guy I know in the middle of california 1200 mile from home... had it towed in than then taken to bulletproof guys in vegas and 7K later had a now good truck. he only had like118K on the truck a 2007 they bought new. With the 6.0L it was not a matter of if but when.. there are many that went many mile with not a problem adn i dont think they did any kind of additives in fuel or oil which was a problem with the injectors in cold weather..
lol 6.0 has many more issues than clogged egr

Users who are viewing this thread