Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calibrated Power tune 2020 2500 cummins

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Hey - couple things. First, Brewbud, I am in Kalifornia and it was not even an issue at all. This is emissions intact tuning and I'm not deleting anything. When the time comes for smog etc I'll revert to Stock tune to not complicate life for anyone.

Ok that said - I just installed the EZ Lynk and uploaded my first tune. I chose the "V3.2 Jack LTOW wEB" tune. If I'm interpreting their website, I believe this means "40hp/80lbft". I don't know what "w EB" means so I've sent a couple of questions in to the support. There were other tune options, including ones in a menu "Mild Trans Tuning - Stock Feel w/Added Line Pressure". Because I don't know enough, I didn't choose anything from there.... I would like to understand why or why not I'd choose those options compared to the "Standard Shift Schedule w/TCC" tunes. That's part of my questions to support.

The install process was exactly as seen on this video:
Tip: Make your life super easy and just pull the panel off above the brake release. The "gateway" you plug into sits right behind it and you can easily reach it, no tools needed.

The Auto Agent app paired easily and the steps are simple to follow. There is a firmware update that is done when you first connect which will "reboot" the EZ Lynk and you'll need to reconnect from the app but no big deal.
After that it really is as simple as follow the directions and select the tune you want to upload. On my truck that process took roughly 5-7 mins.

So from an "open the box" to "tune installed" I was done in 20 minutes, no tools, every step was easy to follow.

First time starting truck, no issue, no warning lights, no vehicle messages etc.

First drive I can't honestly say much as I'm being realistic - I choose a mild tune and I just drove around the block, more to make sure I could then to test anything :)

Will report after a bit more of a chance to drive normal conditions this afternoon.

John Jensen

Reaction score
^^^^^ Good report. Especially noting that panel above the brake release.
The EB suffix on the tune name stands for Exhaust Brake "on". It will always be "on" unless you push the EB button to turn it "off". You also push the EB button to change between full and auto

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Hey - couple things. First, Brewbud, I am in Kalifornia and it was not even an issue at all. This is emissions intact tuning and I'm not deleting anything. When the time comes for smog etc I'll revert to Stock tune to not complicate life for anyone.
Good to know. Some vendors won't take the chance. I recently had a vendor cancel my order for a Banks Pedal Monster because I am in Kalifornia! That would be a perfect example of a no-delete device. Happy to hear there are still some vendors with sense.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
^^^^^ Good report. Especially noting that panel above the brake release.
The EB suffix on the tune name stands for Exhaust Brake "on". It will always be "on" unless you push the EB button to turn it "off". You also push the EB button to change between full and auto
Hi John - I figured that was the intent. My test drive just now, which was along highway and rolling hills tells me however the EB isn't on in any mode. The EVIC didn't show it when I had that display active, couldn't hear it, and more importantly, my speed downhill increased w/out actual brake applied. I'm sure I'll get a reply from Calibrated and will see from there.

Meanwhile, this was a longer test drive including highway speeds. Probably the most noticeable (for me) was just a more crisp and steady acceleration. At lower speeds instead of just hearing the engine making noise while waiting to actually "move", now you move. So quick impression for the "light" tune - just a bit smoother driving experience, especially stop and go, and a bit less noise w/no action.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hi John - I figured that was the intent. My test drive just now, which was along highway and rolling hills tells me however the EB isn't on in any mode. The EVIC didn't show it when I had that display active, couldn't hear it, and more importantly, my speed downhill increased w/out actual brake applied. I'm sure I'll get a reply from Calibrated and will see from there.

Meanwhile, this was a longer test drive including highway speeds. Probably the most noticeable (for me) was just a more crisp and steady acceleration. At lower speeds instead of just hearing the engine making noise while waiting to actually "move", now you move. So quick impression for the "light" tune - just a bit smoother driving experience, especially stop and go, and a bit less noise w/no action.
Each time you load a tune you have to push the EB button to start it. After that it will be on until you change tunes again.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Quick follow up - I've used a couple of tunes now just to get a feel for different shifting behavior. All of them are the "light tow" just so I could get an equal comparison. One thing worth noting, if you have Amp powersteps and the controller is plugged into your ODB port, you'll need a pass through cable. I know AMP sells one but its like $80... so on Amazon I found one for $10 and reviews indicated very similar use cases...it works perfect.

I have had good experience with Calibrated support. I'm on west coast so I tend to email later in the evening. Each morning there's been a response. I have nothing bad to say about my experience. The auto agent app is also pretty cool, and sure would be great if someone with way more knowledge could create a sticky thread about some of the gauges worth monitoring on a tuned truck.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Quick follow up - I've used a couple of tunes now just to get a feel for different shifting behavior. All of them are the "light tow" just so I could get an equal comparison. One thing worth noting, if you have Amp powersteps and the controller is plugged into your ODB port, you'll need a pass through cable. I know AMP sells one but its like $80... so on Amazon I found one for $10 and reviews indicated very similar use cases...it works perfect.

I have had good experience with Calibrated support. I'm on west coast so I tend to email later in the evening. Each morning there's been a response. I have nothing bad to say about my experience. The auto agent app is also pretty cool, and sure would be great if someone with way more knowledge could create a sticky thread about some of the gauges worth monitoring on a tuned truck.
Thanks for the report. Especially regards the $10.00 splitter. I've heard several reports that the cheap splitters don't work well. It's good you found one that is doing the job. If Calibrated gets their "switch on the fly" switch figured out you'll have a new problem as that also wants the OBDII port. Or, maybe you won't want a switch on the fly.

My favorite is their Heavy Tow tune. Smooth and mild when not towing and a beast when towing.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Im excited about this tuning option.. especially for those of us in the 1 dimensional state called CA.

@jeffjcalweb how does the power feel with the tuning?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Im excited about this tuning option.. especially for those of us in the 1 dimensional state called CA.

@jeffjcalweb how does the power feel with the tuning?
I know you asked Jeff but want to say that I find the power very noticeable and real with all four tunes

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I know you asked Jeff but want to say that I find the power very noticeable and real with all four tunes

This is awesome. John you have a HO truck right? So no trans tuning, just engine tuning from Calibrated Power.

EDIT: I saw your signature, HO cummins,

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Well I did a bit of driving with the "Sport" tune - on the calibrated website this is still listed as the "street" tune. Now I don't want to stir up anything about Ford vs Ram and why one is better or one sucks blah blah blah.... but before this '19 3500, I had a '19 F-250 with the PowerStroke 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55 axle... that model year I believe was 445hp and 935lb/tq with the 6speed auto. It MOVED when you put your foot into it, undeniable it was a much more responsive truck (please seriously this isn't a Cummins vs PowerStroke debate).... well now I just felt that same acceleration on the 3500. Wow. I don't typically drive with a heavy foot, I don't need to get to the next stop light first...but when you put your foot into it, think of on ramp acceleration to highway, climbing hills, there is a genuine, significant difference in acceleration vs stock. So that's just a brief update, not sure I'll stay on the "Sport" tune or not and I haven't driven enough for any MPG changes. I don't expect MPG to increase, just wondering if it will stay close or is it a big drop from stock tune.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Well I did a bit of driving with the "Sport" tune - on the calibrated website this is still listed as the "street" tune. Now I don't want to stir up anything about Ford vs Ram and why one is better or one sucks blah blah blah.... but before this '19 3500, I had a '19 F-250 with the PowerStroke 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55 axle... that model year I believe was 445hp and 935lb/tq with the 6speed auto. It MOVED when you put your foot into it, undeniable it was a much more responsive truck (please seriously this isn't a Cummins vs PowerStroke debate).... well now I just felt that same acceleration on the 3500. Wow. I don't typically drive with a heavy foot, I don't need to get to the next stop light first...but when you put your foot into it, think of on ramp acceleration to highway, climbing hills, there is a genuine, significant difference in acceleration vs stock. So that's just a brief update, not sure I'll stay on the "Sport" tune or not and I haven't driven enough for any MPG changes. I don't expect MPG to increase, just wondering if it will stay close or is it a big drop from stock tune.

This is EXACTLY what i was looking for, wow.

One of my close friends just bought a lightly used 2019 F250 with that powerstroke (same axle too, 3.55s) and it flat out MOVES! Damn truck is fast. No doubt about it. It's no fuel sipper though.. we went from SoCal to Phoenix AZ pulling about 6000 lbs and the truck only got 10.8-11mpg hand calc'd. However, i will say he was doing about 75mph most of the way because truck pulled that relatively small load so effortlessly!

Anyway, this is so good to hear. The truck i ordered is a HO/Aisin with 4.10s so im hoping with this tune my new truck will be as powerful/quick as my buddies 2019 F250! You have given me some confidence in that dream haha.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
very interested in emissions in tact tuning. I've had deleted trucks in the past and I don't really want to go that route again. I'd like a little better shifting out of the 68rfe. I noticed calibrated power didn't have a trans tuning option, but has anyone noticed improved trans performance from just the engine tuning? More power would of course be nice, but I'd really like some of the gears to hold a little longer before shifting into the overdrives. Also interested if any other companies are doing trans tuning with emissions in tact.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
very interested in emissions in tact tuning. I've had deleted trucks in the past and I don't really want to go that route again. I'd like a little better shifting out of the 68rfe. I noticed calibrated power didn't have a trans tuning option, but has anyone noticed improved trans performance from just the engine tuning? More power would of course be nice, but I'd really like some of the gears to hold a little longer before shifting into the overdrives. Also interested if any other companies are doing trans tuning with emissions in tact.

If you have the 68RFE Calibrated Power (and other tuners) do have trans tuning. Modified shift points, increased line pressure are examples, there might be more they do but I don't know enough to guess what else that might be. If you have the Aisin, well nobody has any tunes for that :)

MtnRider

Reaction score

From the Calibrated web site...

"
68RFE

By far, this is the most common transmission found in these trucks. That is why there is a larger range of aftermarket products offered for them. Our EZ Lynk Support Pack includes Switch-on-the-fly engine tuning and custom transmission tuning for the 68RFE. We also can provide you with Upgraded valve bodies, torque converters, and even a full transmission build. "

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
From the Calibrated web site...

"
68RFE

By far, this is the most common transmission found in these trucks. That is why there is a larger range of aftermarket products offered for them. Our EZ Lynk Support Pack includes Switch-on-the-fly engine tuning and custom transmission tuning for the 68RFE. We also can provide you with Upgraded valve bodies, torque converters, and even a full transmission build. "

So it sounds like it's just included in the package and you don't have to add it as an option like you do with other tuners.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
So it sounds like it's just included in the package and you don't have to add it as an option like you do with other tuners.
Correct. In fact I think I have 3 different profiles that include 4 tunes each, each profile a different trans tune/feel.

Jdogbroland

Reaction score
Yes..... and No. Yes you can remove the tune and go back to stock. But, if you think you are going to hide the fact that it was tuned in the event of a warranty issue they will find out if they look, and they will if it's a engine/transmission related issue.

This might have already been asked, but do these tunes void the manufacturers warranty?

John Jensen

Reaction score
This might have already been asked, but do these tunes void the manufacturers warranty?
No. But if you have a problem that is caused by the tune the warranty for sure will not pay for the fix.
It is likely that any engine or tranny problem, even if the tune is not the cause., may not be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread