Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Have Any Issues with the new HD's yet?

thestuarts

Reaction score
I don't know how effective it would be on the output side. My preference would be on the input side, but I have no real reason as to why it would have to be there. With a valve on the input side only, the heater core would still see the pressure of the cooling system and some warm coolant through the output hose, but avoid positive hot flow in. Seems they have plenty of industrial versions of this engine that don't have a heater core and the heater core output plugged at the head.

My thought was to get a compact shutoff valve, that could be stuck on the input side, and be shielded a bit more from the heat of the exhaust and turbo. In my head it would go like: engine head -> heater core connector -> very small section of heater hose to couple connector to valve -> original unmodified hose to valve output. This would allow a quick return to stock if there ever was any need. When I had it disconnected the other day, I had enough play to pull it toward the front of the truck and would have been able to easily access the clamp. There also seems to be enough play in that hose to add an inch or two and not negatively affect anything.

I agree with the concern about heat on the turbo/exhaust side. Even the factory tubing on that side is wrapped in heat shielding.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Where did you get these awesome diagrams?

I bought the supplemental information USB for my 2019 3500 from Tech Authority for around $120. It is very hit or miss on usable content. For example, it doesn't contain any wiring diagrams (which is stated in the product description). Also, it doesn't have a search feature, so you have to navigate a very large tree of diagrams to find what you want.

I am considering paying for a week subscription to the online version of Tech Authority so I can download all the wiring diagrams.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
Still getting the Service Anti-Lock Brake, Service Stability Control, Forward Collision Warning Unavailable, and Cruise Control Unavailable messages on vehicle start. It's gone from once every 2 or 3 days to now getting them almost daily. I've started unplugging the radar detector and CB radio from the dash 12V plug so they are not causing the problem. When I cranked it up about noon today the messages came up so I headed 40 miles up the road to my dealer. They read 4 codes: 1. C220049 - Active - Anti-lock Brake Module Internal-internal Electronic Failure. 2. C00201C - Active - ABS Pump Motor Control-Circuit Voltage Out of Range. 3. C222700 Active - ABS Disabled ECU-. 4. B156013 Stored - Cellular Antenna 1-Circuit Open. I've got an appointment for next Wednesday morning.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Still getting the Service Anti-Lock Brake, Service Stability Control, Forward Collision Warning Unavailable, and Cruise Control Unavailable messages on vehicle start. It's gone from once every 2 or 3 days to now getting them almost daily. I've started unplugging the radar detector and CB radio from the dash 12V plug so they are not causing the problem. When I cranked it up about noon today the messages came up so I headed 40 miles up the road to my dealer. They read 4 codes: 1. C220049 - Active - Anti-lock Brake Module Internal-internal Electronic Failure. 2. C00201C - Active - ABS Pump Motor Control-Circuit Voltage Out of Range. 3. C222700 Active - ABS Disabled ECU-. 4. B156013 Stored - Cellular Antenna 1-Circuit Open. I've got an appointment for next Wednesday morning.

Hi @jerryw1000 - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you would be interested in further support for your appointment!

Mark
RamCares

Burton12387

Reaction score
I don't know how effective it would be on the output side. My preference would be on the input side, but I have no real reason as to why it would have to be there. With a valve on the input side only, the heater core would still see the pressure of the cooling system and some warm coolant through the output hose, but avoid positive hot flow in. Seems they have plenty of industrial versions of this engine that don't have a heater core and the heater core output plugged at the head.

My thought was to get a compact shutoff valve, that could be stuck on the input side, and be shielded a bit more from the heat of the exhaust and turbo. In my head it would go like: engine head -> heater core connector -> very small section of heater hose to couple connector to valve -> original unmodified hose to valve output. This would allow a quick return to stock if there ever was any need. When I had it disconnected the other day, I had enough play to pull it toward the front of the truck and would have been able to easily access the clamp. There also seems to be enough play in that hose to add an inch or two and not negatively affect anything.

Could you show these locations in some pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryw1000

Reaction score
They read 4 codes: 1. C220049 - Active - Anti-lock Brake Module Internal-internal Electronic Failure. 2. C00201C - Active - ABS Pump Motor Control-Circuit Voltage Out of Range. 3. C222700 Active - ABS Disabled ECU-. 4. B156013 Stored - Cellular Antenna 1-Circuit Open.

Took the truck in this AM. They had about 2 hours and told me they fixed it with a software update. I headed home and about 5 miles down the road I realized the Lane Assist, FCW, and Adaptive Cruise were not working. Had a message in the EVIC under Driver's Assist that Lane Assist was turned off and I don't even know how to turn it off.....but the setup screen said it was on and set to Med for both Sensitivity and Assist.

Turned around and went back. Another 3 hours and they said they "reprogrammed" everything but were still getting the errors I had originally. They ordered a ABS Module and ABS Pump with and ETA of 29 June. I fully expect to still be fighting this problem in August :)

They blamed the Lane Assist and Adaptive Cruise being off due to them applying the Recall for the Backup Camera. They did get the Lane Assist working again but that is all. Can't test the Adaptive Cruise because of the other problem which renders the Cruise Control Unavailable.

So for now I am pretty much driving a semi-crippled truck and I'm not convinced the parts they ordered will fix the FCW, Stability Control, and Cruise Control Unavailable unless all of those things are tied together with the Anti-Lock Brakes.

JustinHEMI

Reaction score
I haven't followed the thread since posting my issues, ac not good and hood vibrations, but I just picked it up from having them try to address these and I'm very happy with the results.

The completely purged and recharged the AC and it's ice cold. Tech said very low on refrigerant.

They also adjusted the hood stops and vibrations gone.

Squatch

Reaction score
Took the truck in this AM. They had about 2 hours and told me they fixed it with a software update. I headed home and about 5 miles down the road I realized the Lane Assist, FCW, and Adaptive Cruise were not working. Had a message in the EVIC under Driver's Assist that Lane Assist was turned off and I don't even know how to turn it off.....but the setup screen said it was on and set to Med for both Sensitivity and Assist.

Turned around and went back. Another 3 hours and they said they "reprogrammed" everything but were still getting the errors I had originally. They ordered a ABS Module and ABS Pump with and ETA of 29 June. I fully expect to still be fighting this problem in August :)

They blamed the Lane Assist and Adaptive Cruise being off due to them applying the Recall for the Backup Camera. They did get the Lane Assist working again but that is all. Can't test the Adaptive Cruise because of the other problem which renders the Cruise Control Unavailable.

So for now I am pretty much driving a semi-crippled truck and I'm not convinced the parts they ordered will fix the FCW, Stability Control, and Cruise Control Unavailable unless all of those things are tied together with the Anti-Lock Brakes.
It seems like Ram got a lot of accolades for the technology in its truck, I suppose you get credit weather it works or not.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I haven't followed the thread since posting my issues, ac not good and hood vibrations, but I just picked it up from having them try to address these and I'm very happy with the results.

The completely purged and recharged the AC and it's ice cold. Tech said very low on refrigerant.

They also adjusted the hood stops and vibrations gone.
Did they find a leak.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Looks like I will be going with tradesman level next time as well, minus all the bs that don’t work anyway.

M Penwald

Reaction score
Looks like I will be going with tradesman level next time as well, minus all the bs that don’t work anyway.
Don’t waste your money. My ‘19 Tradesman is just as big of a piece of problematic junk that is described by Ram as “normal”.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

When my truck was doing similar and freaking out, the tech thought it might be the "clockspring," but they're not really that anymore. Rather an electronic module in the steering wheel that monitors all the inputs - steering angle, etc. I thought that stuff was elsewhere but he said it's in the wheel and there were something like 300+ on backorder and they'd been having issues with them.

However, at this point I'm pretty convinced it was the iDrive I had hooked up. Hasn't done it since. Maybe a bad connection but I haven't had the time to plug it back in to check.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
When my truck was doing similar and freaking out, the tech thought it might be the "clockspring," but they're not really that anymore. Rather an electronic module in the steering wheel that monitors all the inputs - steering angle, etc. I thought that stuff was elsewhere but he said it's in the wheel and there were something like 300+ on backorder and they'd been having issues with them
Been wondering about that. On more than a few occasions I swear I can hear the swish of that ribbon (clock spring) as it was in many prior vehicles. If wheel inputs are RF now, it must be something else?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Don’t waste your money. My ‘19 Tradesman is just as big of a piece of problematic junk that is described by Ram as “normal”.
Good to know. If they would fix the bugs, I would buy. Looks like bean counters have taken the farm at fca.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
All the reports on here are convincing me to save my money and keep the 17 and the 01. I wondered when the redesign came out, what the issues would be. I had no idea there would be so many silly problems with systems that should be proven and trouble free. For $50-90K, I expect a vehicle 99% perfect.

Tom716

Reaction score
All the reports on here are convincing me to save my money and keep the 17 and the 01. I wondered when the redesign came out, what the issues would be. I had no idea there would be so many silly problems with systems that should be proven and trouble free. For $50-90K, I expect a vehicle 99% perfect.
I know this thread is about ppl having issue's but being a 1st time Ram owner I thought I would reply. Having picked mine up may 1st, now at 1450 miles, other than my tailgate not lining up correctly I have ZERO problems with mine. Everything works as it should including the AC. I absolutely love this truck and can't wait to finish my morning coffee so I can get in it and drive to work.

Users who are viewing this thread