Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Have Any Issues with the new HD's yet?

Omar RVA

Reaction score
All the reports on here are convincing me to save my money and keep the 17 and the 01. I wondered when the redesign came out, what the issues would be. I had no idea there would be so many silly problems with systems that should be proven and trouble free. For $50-90K, I expect a vehicle 99% perfect.

You're gonna find this thread or an aggregation of these threads on every forum for every truck out there (from $50k to $90k, especially as they're pretty much all domestics). Frankly this a tame thread too.

OA

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
You're gonna find this thread or an aggregation of these threads on every forum for every truck out there (from $50k to $90k, especially as they're pretty much all domestics). Frankly this a tame thread too.

OA
Since I am on the fence and have 2 very capable trucks, I get pretty particular when it comes to what I will and will not tolerate. I do not base my decisions on just 1 forum either. I belong to many. Who knows, I may go the medium duty route or diesel pusher. Just bought a 5er to see which I prefer, so the next year will tell. By then, I maybe talked back into a Ford if ram doesn’t come up with more gears.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I am on the fence and have 2 very capable trucks, I get pretty particular when it comes to what I will and will not tolerate. I do not base my decisions on just 1 forum either. I belong to many. Who knows, I may go the medium duty route or diesel pusher. Just bought a 5er to see which I prefer, so the next year will tell. By then, I maybe talked back into a Ford if ram doesn’t come up with more gears.

I'd skip a medium duty and go straight to a bobbed 18-wheeler if I had the need for somethign bigger. For me double towing, the length is just too much to manage. Having a pickup AND a hauler would be tough to swing spacewise and insurance-wise being only part time.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I'd skip a medium duty and go straight to a bobbed 18-wheeler if I had the need for somethign bigger. For me double towing, the length is just too much to manage. Having a pickup AND a hauler would be tough to swing spacewise and insurance-wise being only part time.
not a bad idea, and Used units are reasonable. Insurance as an RVer, I would thing would be on par with any bus type RVs.

Dwilly

Reaction score
Hasn't been reset since I've owned it.

Attachments

• 20200609_102107.jpg
    20200609_102107.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 87

B757dr

Reaction score
The wear bars are showing on the factory tires at 17,000.
Way to early for a new truck. Damn that HO power

Cummins3

Reaction score
My dealer diagnosis of my rear rattle/ noise;::

So when I picked up my truck from Ram I got a chance to talk to tech and he showed me the I guess what is a star case? and a thread or forum the techs are a part of and he confirmed it is a know issue pinpointed to the pass side rear cab mounts.

This is what they wrote:

"The rattle is coming from rear cab mounts. due to design oversight the center spacer tube rattles up and down against the top mounting plate portion of the mount and until a redesign of the mount is available this noise will not be able to be fixed."

"tried removing the lower black washer with the dimples and placing it on top with the dimples down to seperate the center spacer from the cab. Then we reinstalled the bolt with 2 washers between the center spacer and the large washer on the bolt. We were trying to clamp the center spacer between the silver top cap and the bolt. Still didn't change the concern. With the mount being fluid filled I can't remove the the center spacer to cut it down. Agreed that a redesigned mount is needed."

"wondering if this was the same issue for the star case that disappeared for a rattle at the A lar and they wanted you to replace front cab mounts.I am getting no where with star on concern they think the wrong mount was installed in location of rear of cab, knowing they are physically different mounts from the other mounts on cab."

"finally after 3rd revision of rear cab mounts the noise is no longer present"

Not sure what 3rd revision is but would love to find out. Hopefully my tech/dealer will find out and let me know if and when a redesign or fix is present.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
My dealer diagnosis of my rear rattle/ noise;::

So when I picked up my truck from Ram I got a chance to talk to tech and he showed me the I guess what is a star case? and a thread or forum the techs are a part of and he confirmed it is a know issue pinpointed to the pass side rear cab mounts.

This is what they wrote:

"The rattle is coming from rear cab mounts. due to design oversight the center spacer tube rattles up and down against the top mounting plate portion of the mount and until a redesign of the mount is available this noise will not be able to be fixed."

"tried removing the lower black washer with the dimples and placing it on top with the dimples down to seperate the center spacer from the cab. Then we reinstalled the bolt with 2 washers between the center spacer and the large washer on the bolt. We were trying to clamp the center spacer between the silver top cap and the bolt. Still didn't change the concern. With the mount being fluid filled I can't remove the the center spacer to cut it down. Agreed that a redesigned mount is needed."

"wondering if this was the same issue for the star case that disappeared for a rattle at the A lar and they wanted you to replace front cab mounts.I am getting no where with star on concern they think the wrong mount was installed in location of rear of cab, knowing they are physically different mounts from the other mounts on cab."

"finally after 3rd revision of rear cab mounts the noise is no longer present"

Not sure what 3rd revision is but would love to find out. Hopefully my tech/dealer will find out and let me know if and when a redesign or fix is present.

Hi @Cummins3 - Just following up to let you know I had a chance to respond to your private message. I would be more than happy to get a case escalated on this!

Mark
RamCares

jerryw1000

Reaction score
First my truck gets deadlined awaiting parts for Anti-Lock Brake Module and Anti-Lock Brake Pump. Now my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is giving me the dash light and beep insisting my passenger door is ajar. IT'S NOT. I'm starting to develop the Mopar twitch.

TOPDAWG4EVER

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues yet with their new HDs? I'm close to ordering mine and I'm little hesitant being its the first year, even though I know it isn't completely all new.
Let me start with the garbage paint. Coming from a F350, whose paint is tough as nails, my Ram 2500 looks like it’s been sprayed with rocks. Just a shame. The paper thin hood is horrific. Transmission shifts like it has rocks inside. Love the power and responsiveness of the Cummins which carries a lot of weight but beyond that I’ll be excited to switch back.

Buppies

Reaction score
I hate to see people who are unhappy with their purchase. Having owned Ford and Ram there are good and bad almost luck of the draw. Had a half ton chevy in 1989 all paint peeled off GM repainted but never got upset about it. Again sorry you are so unhappy with Ram

Xflight29

Reaction score
I drive a ford F 250 for work and your wrong. The Paint job on a F series truck is same as Ram get your quotes correct. what are you talking about paper thin hood? why wouldn't one take the weight off a non structural component ? My Asian shifts like a dream.
Funny thing is you went and bought one.

Users who are viewing this thread