Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Have Any Issues with the new HD's yet?

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues yet with their new HDs? I'm close to ordering mine and I'm little hesitant being its the first year, even though I know it isn't completely all new.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
Other than the lack of advertised features not being included with any vehicle being built yet (TTPMS and AUX camera), nothing major. I've had a bunch of Q/A issues I'm working with dealer to resolve, but nearly all minor and I'm still in love with mine.

Don-T

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the 12” navigation in mine. Most times when I put a destination into it the system reboots the navigation. Occasionally it reboots the whole Uconnect system. I have an appointment with a dealer Wednesday. I hope they can fix it with a software update. Otherwise I am happy with the truck.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Good to know. I'm going to another dealer tomorrow to see where they are at on my build sheets price wise and where they would be on my trade. They also have a 3500 w/ a H.O. Cummins that I'd like to drive before ultimately deciding the 68rfe.

ghaynes754

Reaction score
It was raining on my joy yesterday. Picked up my Longhorn 3500 on Friday evening. Driving back to Denver on Saturday about 170 miles on the ODO and the check engine light comes on. Manual says don't worry if it isn't flashing do multiple restarts. Did that over the next 120 miles. No change. Call the Ram Support. Found a dealer in Wheatland, WY that was open and said I could stop in. 20 miles later I am in the shop, get connected to the OBD and get error coed P1D73, AGS Performance. AGS is the automatic shutter system behind the grill. We couldn't see anything wrong, all shutters were working as expected so they reset the system and I was on my way.

Not the best start for my first ever non-GM truck in 45 years but no further problems on the rest of the drive.

Love this truck. 3db quieter in the cabin than my 2017 Canyon Diesel that I traded.

Landshaper

Reaction score
No issues so far 2200 miles. The electronic shift knob is too close to the hvac knob and while at work (being rammy, ) I frequently grab the wrong knob. Still not used to no shift lever. It’s gonna be a pita when snow plowing me thinks.419E154B-0C98-4A7B-A20D-571C5E3E1A84.jpeg

Ramman

Reaction score
I have about 1300 Miles on mine at this point. I have had one issue so far, neither the fault of RAM or it's build quality. Apparently when I got my new wheels/tires put on my truck, the shop failed to plug back in my Transfer Case Control Module. Somehow or another, this ended up frying the part and needed to be replaced. No big deal, the shop that caused the issue is paying for all parts and labor. With that being said, I have had the most terrible experience at my local dealer humanly possible.

I ended up dropping my truck off on May 20th so they could diagnose the problem, and ensure that was the only thing that had been broken. On the 27th I call in and ask about the status of my truck, and was told the part was being ordered etc. On the 28th they called me back and said STAR, a program through MOPAR apparently would not let them order the part. However, they said I could come pick up my truck and drive it until they get the part ordered. So I was already a little angry they had my truck for 9 days, and did not call me and tell me this sooner, as I had been getting rides to work with people and was ready for this to be over.

However, the story does not end there. The service person pulled my truck around and I went to go get back into it. I opened my door and noticed that they had not even put my truck back together. My floor mats were just thrown onto my seat. There were pieces from under the dash laying on my floorboard. Wires were left unplugged under my vehicle, and they had somehow gotten globs of engine oil all over my center console, and arm rest. Needless to say I went in and raised hell, spoke to the GM, got a loaner vehicle while they said they would "Detail" my truck. They finally brought my truck back to me yesterday, I told them they could come get the loaner from my house, and drop my truck off, they had wasted enough of my time at this point. Well, I guess detailing of a truck to them means throwing some tire shine on the tires, and not even cleaning the interior. At least the truck was back together. (I also took pictures of the interior, as well as the wiring underneath the truck, and the oil stains before I let them "fix" it.)

Anyways, I have a permanent oil stain on my center console now. I ended up calling corporate and complaining, more to be heard with that. In the end I also spoke to a customer service rep at a call center who said I could order the part I need myself, that the dealer mysteriously couldn't order in 9 days. She was able to look in the file apparently and find the part number, and was nice enough to actually tell me what it was, so I went ahead and did that. I figure I'll play the old game of, who gets it first. Anyways, I'm not impressed with my local dealership. I will not be returning there ever again. They wouldn't even tell me what part needs to be replaced. Obviously because they're billing the shop that caused the issue, they don't want them just ordering the part and putting it in for me. I spoke to the shop that caused the initial problem, and they're ordering the part as well, so hopefully this fixes it. If not they have already approved me taking it to a different dealership if that does not for some reason fix the problem.

My guess on RAM putting a hold on the part was that this dealership tried to get the part replaced under warranty, so they could pocket all the cash from the shop paying for it, and get reimbursed from RAM at the same time. RAM probably asked questions on why a TCCM failed at 1300 miles, and they got caught. Who knows at this point. I'm not even sure now that I have my truck back and caused such a stink that they will even order the part or call me back. It was hard enough to get a call returned while my truck was there. Regardless, after what I saw, I'm afraid for them to even touch my truck again. I was honestly so angry I considered driving down to the Ford dealership and trading the truck in on a F-250, because I was never treated like that there. Oh well, day 11 without 4WD. Hopefully this problem will be resolved sometime in the next week.

Last edited:

RamGuy84

Reaction score
You should really let people know which dealer that is. Inexcusable in my opinion.

I’ve had the live techs get grease on my steering wheel before, that upset me!

With my 18, I brought it in for just a recall and my antenna was laying in the backseat. When I got home I noticed. Odd.

jpaeth

Reaction score
You should really let people know which dealer that is. Inexcusable in my opinion.

I’ve had the live techs get grease on my steering wheel before, that upset me!

With my 18, I brought it in for just a recall and my antenna was laying in the backseat. When I got home I noticed. Odd.
I second this... we need to know what dealer this is so we can avoid at all costs

Slappnbass

Reaction score
I have around 700 miles on mine. There are two main things that are noticeably annoying at this point. First, when going over bumps, speed bumps, uneven roads, anything that shakes the bed, there is a rattle in rear driver side that I cannot figure out. Sounds like the bed is loose on that side maybe. Second thing is the shifting...third gear is POS. I've noticed if I baby the throttle pedal it shifts pretty smooth, but if you need to "hit" it or are a little heavy on the pedal, it shifts rough into third, and then 4th is obvious the torque converter locks in. 68RFE still has downshift problems also in traffic...not as bad as previous years, but still noticable.

This is what I noticed on mine.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
I have around 700 miles on mine. There are two main things that are noticeably annoying at this point. First, when going over bumps, speed bumps, uneven roads, anything that shakes the bed, there is a rattle in rear driver side that I cannot figure out. Sounds like the bed is loose on that side maybe. Second thing is the shifting...third gear is POS. I've noticed if I baby the throttle pedal it shifts pretty smooth, but if you need to "hit" it or are a little heavy on the pedal, it shifts rough into third, and then 4th is obvious the torque converter locks in. 68RFE still has downshift problems also in traffic...not as bad as previous years, but still noticable.

This is what I noticed on mine.

I have the same rattle! My truck is at dealership and this is on the list. I checked everything to see if there was something loose and could not locate anything!

Didn't have the truck long enough to really determine anything about the transmission.

Slappnbass

Reaction score
I have the same rattle! My truck is at dealership and this is on the list. I checked everything to see if there was something loose and could not locate anything!

Didn't have the truck long enough to really determine anything about the transmission.
I'm in Texas also. What area are you in?

Users who are viewing this thread