Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Have Any Issues with the new HD's yet?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe my A/C is not performing as well as I expected.

Were it not for the cooled seat, I would have continued to be uncomfortable on a drive I took the last few days that was long enough to cool the cabin.

The air at the vents is cool but not cold and I had all but the farthest passenger and two drive dash vents closed off. Changing the control to blow high and low takes it off Max (recirculate) air. That should not be.

Wife and I will both be very pissed off come summer at 110F lake spot if the air isn't working 100% on an $88K truck.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score

Were it not for the cooled seat, I would have continued to be uncomfortable on a drive I took the last few days that was long enough to cool the cabin.

The air at the vents is cool but not cold and I had all but the farthest passenger and two drive dash vents closed off. Changing the control to blow high and low takes it off Max (recirculate) air. That should not be.

Wife and I will both be very pissed off come summer at 110F lake spot if the air isn't working 100% on an $88K truck.
That would pizz me off! All these issues on these trucks.......my current herd of vehicles may stick around much longer than anticipated!

zappel

Reaction score
19 Ram 3500 Limited Cummins. Less than 5000 km. Been back to the shop 3 times for check engine issues. Now heading back to the shop on a flatbed today. Will not start, just makes a loud clunk.
Disappointed to say the least. I hope this gets resolved, went from a 19 Limited 1500 which was great, no issues. My wife hates this truck, I am getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovegolf44

Reaction score

That's very disconcerting, it gets b@lls hot here in FL and I'm not looking forward to the cooling system not keeping up. I'm going to tint my front windows soon, hopefully that helps a bit.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Used to be dodges were known for their great heating and cooling, maybe the bean counters got ahold of this and ruined a perfectly good system? I have never been a fan of electronic controls for these systems, especially since the parts, most certainly probably originate in China. I have seen this first hand in home hvac systems with the switch over to Chinese suppliers.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
That's very disconcerting, it gets b@lls hot here in FL and I'm not looking forward to the cooling system not keeping up. I'm going to tint my front windows soon, hopefully that helps a bit.

I have a 30min drive or so... the truck is just barely getting cool by the time I get home.
You are going to want to look up heat rejecting tint... cuts out the IR which transmits heat....it is on my list for both cars.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Used to be dodges were known for their great heating and cooling, maybe the bean counters got ahold of this and ruined a perfectly good system? I have never been a fan of electronic controls for these systems, especially since the parts, most certainly probably originate in China. I have seen this first hand in home hvac systems with the switch over to Chinese suppliers.

Had a 2016 Durango work car that was super cold... loved it.
Parts from China are as good as the OEM that specs them out... Americans love to complain about China, but companies love the profit margins... and most people are generally unwilling to pay a higher price point.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Parts from China are as good as the OEM that specs them out... Americans love to complain about China, but companies love the profit margins... and most people are generally unwilling to pay a higher price point.
Agreed on the spec point, BUT, meeting a spec point, does not mean it is a quality component. Think cycle life.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I am one of those guys that will pay a higher price for a better component, but not if both are made in China, simply because there is so much counterfeiting going on.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
On the plus side... HVAC appears to be working properly. Dunno... I'll caveat that cuz the extreme (hot) OAT that many forum members contend with occurs infrequently in these parts. On the minus side... I've been avoiding VB6 like a bad case of Covid but will soon relent if for no other reason than to fix the BS 'Battery Saver' thingy that shows up after almost every cold start. Seriously annoying. :mad:

thestuarts

Reaction score
if for no other reason than to fix the BS 'Battery Saver' thingy that shows up after almost every cold start. Seriously annoying. :mad:

If you have any after-market electronics connected to the battery or OBD-II port, the battery monitoring system (BMS) will notice even a small voltage drop overnight and throw up the Battery Saver message. This can also be caused by an unexpected parasitic draw like a short that isn't causing a fuse to blow.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but I believe I remember seeing a blurb about the Battery Saver mode.

Reaperdodad

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues yet with their new HDs? I'm close to ordering mine and I'm little hesitant being its the first year, even though I know it isn't completely all new.
I have had my 2019 2500 with the 6.4l for about 3 months and so far its great

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
If you have any after-market electronics connected to the battery or OBD-II port, the battery monitoring system (BMS) will notice even a small voltage drop overnight and throw up the Battery Saver message. This can also be caused by an unexpected parasitic draw like a short that isn't causing a fuse to blow.
Indeed, eliminated that being causal a few months ago - issue first reared it's head in Dec and has been getting progressively worse. I suspect crappy batteries. Had them load tested in Jan and they JUST cut the mustard. Resting battery voltage after a long drive is 12.7V or so. Drops to less than 12.6V by morning. Open/close the doors and deploy/retract the steps and we're down to 12.4V.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
My 17 has done this since new. Really does it more when extremely cold out. I believe the def system freeze prevention may have something to do with it.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
My 17 has done this since new. Really does it more when extremely cold out. I believe the def system freeze prevention may have something to do with it.
Not sure about that. DEF heater shouldn't be active until the vehicle is started. And it pales in comparison to the energy being gobbled up by the grid heater.

Nick

Reaction score
Got a thousand trouble free miles on mine. Towed my 5 th wheel down to get new springs . A 3 mile grade with 6 and 7 percent grades . I thought my 14 withe the 68 RFE did a good job pulling a combined 24000 up the grade . This 2020 with the HO and 373 gears is eight to ten mph faster up the same grade and accelerates much quicker with the lower first gear an the HD tranny . I love it !

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Not sure about that. DEF heater shouldn't be active until the vehicle is started. And it pales in comparison to the energy being gobbled up by the grid heater.
That is probably correct, but I am on my third year with this, so I don’t worry much. Reading more about it, any draw on the system can initiate the message. Using the accessories while parked, etc. Law of averages suggests I maybe replacing batteries this year. And Yeah, that grid heater takes a bunch of power.

jakalafus

Reaction score
In AZ yesterday was maybe 92 degrees and all I got from my vents was 61 degree with MAX AC turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread