Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin Transmission Concerns

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It would have been on his repair order sheet. I crawled all over my tranny looking for a part number to no avail. Apparently the older number ending in AA could have issues, and we had heard that the newer AB part is supposed to be good. If his AB failed that would tell us there is no absolute yet. We don’t yet have confidence in even the TSB approved repair since only a couple have even been done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m fairly certain there is already at least one instance of the “AB” replacement transmission failing on my spreadsheet. I can’t remember specifically which one, but I remember reviewing a work order that had the AB on it and I think it subsequently failed.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I’m fairly certain there is already at least one instance of the “AB” replacement transmission failing on my spreadsheet. I can’t remember specifically which one, but I remember reviewing a work order that had the AB on it and I think it subsequently failed.

So another one would be even worse. Ugh. It’s looking like we might have to form a class action to force Ram to repair all of our transmissions so we can have some certainty. I’ve got 2 cross country trips planned this year with the RV and the uncertainty of the reliability of mine will kill me…and I’ve had mine replaced. I’m trying to get some miles on mine in hopes of gaining confidence or forcing the inevitable before that, but I’ve only got 2000 miles on my replacement now.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So another one would be even worse. Ugh. It’s looking like we might have to form a class action to force Ram to repair all of our transmissions so we can have some certainty. I’ve got 2 cross country trips planned this year with the RV and the uncertainty of the reliability of mine will kill me…and I’ve had mine replaced. I’m trying to get some miles on mine in hopes of gaining confidence or forcing the inevitable before that, but I’ve only got 2000 miles on my replacement now.

Don’t quote me on that because I’m not 100% sure. I’ve reviewed about 80 or so of the 125 trucks currently on the sheet. Fairly sure at least one of the redundancies was an “AB” but not positive.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
His replacement trans was an "AB" trans.
Thanks for taking the time to look it up and report back. That confirms what I had previously reviewed with other owners. I think it’s safe to assume the “AB” transmission is a myth. Likely started by dealers in good faith who believed the AB revision had something to do with the issue. There likely was a revision of some sort that brought about the revised part number but I don’t believe it had anything to do with the K1 snap ring failure. The most recent info I was given suggests the transmissions are still on engineering hold.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Has anyone got an actual picture of the failed snap ring? I wouldn't mind seeing the failure point. I.e. bent snap ring/poor groove machining…
.C4CE49F0-286C-46F2-9001-175E136C69D2.pngA01AF51B-A4FC-4543-8937-E69C73579EEB.jpeg

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back last night from the dealer where the parts fix from the TSB was performed. Will be taking this beast out on it's first car hauling trip after the repair tomorrow so wish me luck!
That’s great news. Let us know how it works out!
And could you get me your trucks build date and the serial number of your Aisin transmission please? That way I can update the spreadsheet

FLHTKJimmy

Reaction score
New to the forum. Only became aware of it cuz, we’ll, you can add me to the list of those impacted by the failed C-clip on the AISIN transmission. Ordered my 22 Limited with HO in February of 22. Delivered August 2022. Currently 20K miles, stranded 1000+ miles from home, pulling a 5th wheel, on rural North Carolina road last week. As we sat blocking the only lane in our direction, atop the crest of a hill with cones deployed, we called the nearest Ram dealer only to be told by the service advisor that “I should call someone else because they’d be 2-3 weeks before they could look at it.” Our out-of- pocket expense is gonna be well beyond that which will be covered by Ram Care’s “trip interruption” coverage. There’s considerably more to the story, but I’ll leave it there.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
New to the forum. Only became aware of it cuz, we’ll, you can add me to the list of those impacted by the failed C-clip on the AISIN transmission. Ordered my 22 Limited with HO in February of 22. Delivered August 2022. Currently 20K miles, stranded 1000+ miles from home, pulling a 5th wheel, on rural North Carolina road last week. As we sat blocking the only lane in our direction, atop the crest of a hill with cones deployed, we called the nearest Ram dealer only to be told by the service advisor that “I should call someone else because they’d be 2-3 weeks before they could look at it.” Our out-of- pocket expense is gonna be well beyond that which will be covered by Ram Care’s “trip interruption” coverage. There’s considerably more to the story, but I’ll leave it there.
Save every receipt.
Document every call / text / email
Start a case with Ram customer service

I will get you on the spreadsheet. Can you get me your trucks “date of manufacture” and the transmission serial number if possible. DOM is on the white sticker on the driver door. Trans serial is on a blue metal tag on the side of the transmission itself.

I’m assuming you lost forward gears?
Reverse worked?
Any lights or messages on the dash ?
Date the transmission failed?

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen an RSU for this issue from Ram?
Yes RSU 23-065
It’s the same as TSB 21-002-23

TSB 21-002-23 was released 1/11/23 and then subsequently revised / upgraded to an RSU on 3/8/23. Ram uploaded unsold affected ViN’s to DealerCONNECT. Dealers can run unsold vins through their system and if the truck has been identified by ram as potentially defective, it’ll generate a red flag in DealerCONNECT. Dealers can then order the same parts as the TSB and perform the preemptive repair before the truck is sold.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about this experience. If you would like any additional support alongside your dealer during repairs, please reach out via private message so we can discuss further.

Lex
Ram Cares

FLHTKJimmy

Reaction score
I’m not with the truck, but will get you the DOM & transmission # when I can. Have a case # With Ram Cares already. Gonna continue chasing that, but my initial call was disappointing. Just saying…

Lost forward gears. Reverse still worked. After a clunking sound, initially received only amber engine light. Still had some forward movement (felt like a partially engaged clutch). When I crested a critical hill (I needed to get over it to get to a reasonably safe place to pull over), got a red “Transmission Hot” light came on. Date of failure was 7/13/23. Lemme know if you need anything else.

FLHTKJimmy

Reaction score
Hi there,

We are sorry to hear about this experience. If you would like any additional support alongside your dealer during repairs, please reach out via private message so we can discuss further.

Lex
Ram Cares
I sent you a PM. I’ve gotten no response.

ARC223500

Reaction score
I stopped by a dealer last week and he ran my VIN and he could not find an RSU in the system, can anyone provide a copy or link to this RSU?
Thanks!
I just got off the phone with my local dealer. They have 8 trucks in the back waiting to be repaired for this issue. I had him pull my vin in dealer connect and it wasn't flagged. That might be some sort of relief maybe but he said it’s still cross your fingers. I like when these guys just shoot you straight and don’t BS around what’s really going on.

I’d be curious to see if these failures are trim related as well. For example, my good friend who is on the spreadsheet has same truck with higher trim. He has an electronic 4wd drive selector, I don’t. His red flagged in the system and mine didn’t. Is it a different run of the same transmission with the manual 4wd selector?

What the dealer also said was that they wouldn’t be able to perform the preemptive fix unless it was in fact red flagged or if it actually failed. Don’t know if that provides any folks with some comfort or not but I just wanna throw up when I think about. Like some of the others, I’ve got about 4000 miles ahead of me over the next three months going to Texas and back to Cali. Not the best confidence in the whole situation at all.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my local dealer. They have 8 trucks in the back waiting to be repaired for this issue. I had him pull my vin in dealer connect and it wasn't flagged. That might be some sort of relief maybe but he said it’s still cross your fingers. I like when these guys just shoot you straight and don’t BS around what’s really going on.

I’d be curious to see if these failures are trim related as well. For example, my good friend who is on the spreadsheet has same truck with higher trim. He has an electronic 4wd drive selector, I don’t. His red flagged in the system and mine didn’t. Is it a different run of the same transmission with the manual 4wd selector?

What the dealer also said was that they wouldn’t be able to perform the preemptive fix unless it was in fact red flagged or if it actually failed. Don’t know if that provides any folks with some comfort or not but I just wanna throw up when I think about. Like some of the others, I’ve got about 4000 miles ahead of me over the next three months going to Texas and back to Cali. Not the best confidence in the whole situation at all.
As much as I wish it was the case, a truck not getting flagged for the RSU is not an automatic guarantee that the transmission will not fail. I’ve spent quite a bit of time scanning VIN’s through Ram’s system using my contacts and I can tell you for-certain that not all of the trucks that fail have the RSU flag. There have been quite a number of confirmed K1 failures in trucks that, when their VIN’s were scanned, did not generate a red flag.

In terms of the preemptive repair, it has always been dependent upon a confirmed red flag in the system. If the truck gets flagged for RSU 23-065, the dealer is then able to order the repair kits (same as what’s used for a truck that has failed) and then initiate the same repair procedure as outline in TSB 21-002-23. Only difference being the snap ring didn’t pop out yet.

As far as trim level having any bearing on the failures, I can guarantee you that, based on my last 8 months of research, the trim level has absolutely nothing to do with the failure. The issue at the center of the failure is the snap ring, and it’s purely a luck of the draw when the transmissions are allocated to each truck for assembly.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

Also a “red flag” for RSU 23-065 looks like this on dealer side of the system:

IMG_2588.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread